Films

Wicked: Part 1 | November 22, 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

25 minutes ago, Youngstar said:

has that ever happend? 2 100M+ openers back to back on thanksgiving?(though I guess the 5 day opening distorts this a lot)

It hasn't. And most of the time, the biggest movie of the weekend was the one that opened a week earlier.

This is the closest it has ever been. This is 5-day.

109.9M THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE [2nd weekend]

93.6M FROZEN [2nd weekend, technically its opening weekend]

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Youngstar said:

has that ever happend? 2 100M+ openers back to back on thanksgiving?(though I guess the 5 day opening distorts this a lot)

The highest 3-day opener was Frozen back in 2013. But I think we could see back-to-back $100M 3-day openers this time.

Let's say the more direct comps for Wicked (release date wise) and Moana 2 (demographically) are say, Frozen 2, which opened to $130M and then did $86M on the 3-day Thanksgiving weekend. Even with the overlap between the two, I don't think it's that farfetched for Wicked to open to $100M+ and then Moana 2 to also pull in $100M+ on the Thanksgiving 3-day ($100M would only be like $14M higher than Frozen 2's 2nd weekend).

Theatres are going to be feasting on Thanksgiving weekend though. Wicked and Moana 2 look to be big, and Gladiator 2 is at the very least going to be good for theatres. These last few Thanksgivings have been kind of depressing at the box office if I'm being honest, so it would be nice to see a return to the big numbers during the 2010s.

Edited by PNF2187
  • Like 2

My girlfriend is incredibly excited for this, first movie this year that’s really got her attention like this. Feel like the pre sale numbers make sense given how under-served the female market was this year. Just sucks since i’m gonna have to see it now and i don’t really think it looks very good, haha

• Heart 2

I will never, ever forget sitting in a movie theater in Dallas waiting for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl in 2003.

I was 16 years old. 

Before the previews, they would play commercials and song samples from albums. One of the tracks was the last 30 seconds of “Defying Gravity.” I was transfixed. 

The soundtrack had not been released yet and I counted down the days until I had it in my hands. It released in December of that year. I was now 17 years old. 

I played the soundtrack on a loop for months and months and months. I had the entire show memorized. I was able to see the tour three times over the years but wasn’t able to see it on Broadway until 2021. 

Now I have tickets to the first movie purchased. CD and vinyl copies of the soundtrack preordered.

21 years on this journey. 😭

• Like 2
  • Heart 5

On 10/14/2024 at 8:38 AM, Chaz said:

I will never, ever forget sitting in a movie theater in Dallas waiting for Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl in 2003.

I was 16 years old. 

Before the previews, they would play commercials and song samples from albums. One of the tracks was the last 30 seconds of “Defying Gravity.” I was transfixed. 

The soundtrack had not been released yet and I counted down the days until I had it in my hands. It released in December of that year. I was now 17 years old. 

I played the soundtrack on a loop for months and months and months. I had the entire show memorized. I was able to see the tour three times over the years but wasn’t able to see it on Broadway until 2021. 

Now I have tickets to the first movie purchased. CD and vinyl copies of the soundtrack preordered.

21 years on this journey. 😭

That's so cool. I read the book the musical was based on when I was 19! The characterizations and world politics felt so powerful to me as they were taking beloved childhood source material and completely subverting it. It got me into my post-modern, deconstructionist phase lmao

I know the musical isn't anywhere as dark and nuanced as Gregory Maguire's original novel but it seems like a delight in its own right. It's crazy to think that Frozen, Maleficent and Cruella all borrowed from it, were very successful in their own right, but fortunately this doesn't look like it will suffer from the "John Carter/Watchmen/Dune 84" fate of OG story making it to the big screen after popular knock-offs and underperforming.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

That's so cool. I read the book the musical was based on when I was 19! The characterizations and world politics felt so powerful to me as they were taking beloved childhood source material and completely subverting it. It got me into my post-modern, deconstructionist phase lmao

I know the musical isn't anywhere as dark and nuanced as Gregory Maguire's original novel but it seems like a delight in its own right. It's crazy to think that Frozen, Maleficent and Cruella all borrowed from it, were very successful in their own right, but fortunately this doesn't look like it will suffer from the "John Carter/Watchmen/Dune 84" fate of OG story making it to the big screen after popular knock-offs and underperforming.

Joker is also basically Wicked for dudes 👀