Films

Wicked: Part 1 | November 22, 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

3 hours ago, Box Office Hit said:

They really are going to merchandise the hell out of this. When the little kids that liked the movie go read the Wicked novel... Haha. It's going be a shock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/31/2024 at 4:33 PM, Mojoguy said:

They really are going to merchandise the hell out of this. When the little kids that liked the movie go read the Wicked novel... Haha. It's going be a shock.

That is why I make all my kids read Watership Down at age 2 and watch The Plague Dogs at age 3.  I got to keep them ready.

56 minutes ago, Eric is Trapped said:

When they showed the part with the horse's hooves stepping into frame, I thought that was him and went "Oh he's a centaur? I missed that." at first.

I highly implore everyone check out Fellow Travelers (now up for three major Emmy noms, including Fiyero) if only to be ahead of the curve as to why the Internet's gonna be like "Glen Who?" come Thanksgiving.

On 8/1/2024 at 7:33 AM, Mojoguy said:

I am not very familiar with Wicked apart from a few songs from the musical.

May i know why? 

• Like 2

@Dbui8743Same.  I plan on seeing this to help see what all the love for Wicked is about, but that probably means when I find it at the library.  The only big November release I might see in theaters is Gladiator II.

1 hour ago, Dbui8743 said:

May i know why? 

Wicked, the book versus Wicked, the musical

These are very different animals. Wicked the book is grimmer, grimier, more sexually explicit, more about political intrigue and musings about religion.

Much more at the link but that's the gist. The publisher should probably cash in with a more PG rated novelization closer to the stage musical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dbui8743 said:

May i know why? 

I'm reading it now and basically what BoxOfficeFangirl said. It also waxes poetic a looooot. I've never seen the musical, but I get the feeling they removed 90% of the story and just liked "Wizard of Oz prequel, yay!"

• Like 2

On 8/22/2024 at 11:12 PM, Human said:

@Dbui8743Same.  I plan on seeing this to help see what all the love for Wicked is about, but that probably means when I find it at the library.  The only big November release I might see in theaters is Gladiator II.

wicked success in my opinion happened cause it come in an era where classic disney musicals were on a crisis and it worked as kinda of disneyan musical for musical lovers missing that. Also it got the kinda of girl power story was kinda new in that era (now for a new audience can feel trite).

anyways theatre is a different media from cinema. Wicked also was and still is very impressive for its production values (one of the reasons has made the phantom of the opera so popular too)..when i saw it in London i was really shaking in some parts (when the big face of the wizard is on the stage or of course when Elphaba flies).

Of course on a movie you have to find a way to make these things impressive for another reason cause seeing someone flying on a stage of a theater is something spectacular, on a movie is the most normal thing ever. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1