Godzilla

How to Train Your Dragon 2 OS (418 mil OS!!!)

I second that on that hater my friend .. Amen even when you throw in the advertising budget on the production budget of Dragon 2 it still made over double total costs. Thats a blockbuster anyway you look at it :).. And if it wasnt for the competition and bad release date I think hiccup would have made more domestic and especially OS... :)

By the time Dragon 2's HV BO run is over it will have another 200-300+M on its revenue..

So its an 800-900M Winfall... I call that lets breakout a party type numbers!

HTTYD2's numbers were fine and acceptable for this film, but the highlighted part couldn't be further from the truth, it had a great release date with as little competition as you could realistically hope for.

• Like 2

The movie made 615M on a 145M budget. That's a major hit. I don't get why people are upset.

First: who's upset, most here are just stating the truth (disappointment = a finish below the average expectations).

Second: nobody said it hasn't been profitable, but that was an absolute lock since the beginning. This wasn't a very risky or extremely expensive project, it was a totally safe bet and a sure hit. The fact it made 4 times its budget (=380M gross for DM2, 26M for Annabelle' ...) can be taken as an argument only by a rookie.

• Like 1

First: who's upset, most here are just stating the truth (disappointment = a finish below the average expectations).

Second: nobody said it hasn't been profitable, but that was an absolute lock since the beginning. This wasn't a very risky or extremely expensive project, it was a totally safe bet and a sure hit. The fact it made 4 times its budget (=380M gross for DM2, 26M for Annabelle' ...) can be taken as an argument only by a rookie.

LOL. Are you serious. It's not just the fact that it made 4X it's budget, it's the fact that it's budget was HUGE and making 4x more is impressive. And average expectations? What did you expect? 1B. Even more LOL. People on this forum are the only ones to blame for their out of hand predictions.  

• Like 1

Shrek 2, Ice Age 2 and Despicable Me 2 all increased over 100% over their predecessors overseas. I think people were expecting that to happen here as well - or at least for it to cross the $500M mark. I'm sure DreamWorks was.

On the flip side, it still had a bigger increase than Ice Age 3, Toy Story 2, Kung Fu Panda 2, or any of the Madagascar sequels. The first Dragon only grossed $277M OS, at the peak of the 3D craze, and yet HTTYD2 still ended up in the $400M+ echelon. For a movie which is definitely more mature and serious than your average OS animated megahit, it did pretty well. It at least saved face.

Actually, its OS increase/general performance reminds me of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - increased over its predecessor almost everywhere (but not as much as hoped), was buoyed by a China overperformance (though Dawn was even more so - outside of China, the UK, France and South Korea, it did either equal or less business than HTTYD2), and a total OS increase of about 60%. And that film came off as serious, slow and dark too, didn't it?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 4

LOL. Are you serious. It's not just the fact that it made 4X it's budget, it's the fact that it's budget was HUGE and making 4x more is impressive. And average expectations? What did you expect? 1B. Even more LOL. People on this forum are the only ones to blame for their out of hand predictions.  

150M is the norm for every big animated film. If you call it 'huge', you are a rookie. "Oh my god, 150 million, that's a lot of money..wow, it's around the number of neurons I have in my brain!"

It's not about what I expected, it's about what most expected. It's a matter of definition -> disappointment=what doesn't reach expectations. Now, the average prediction on this site was well above 620M WW and the same applies with KJ, BOM expected much more than that, Katzy expected much more, pretty much everyone interested in BO expected more. They were wrong? Well, that's kind of obvious. But it's still a disappointment. It's a hit AND a disappointment. And it's boring in a year when 700M has proven to be relatively easy to reach. You don't get it? Rookie.

If next year Avenger 2 grosses 800M on a 200M budget, what will you say? "I don't get why people are upset about this, it made 800M, that's 4 times its budget, that's a lot! It's a hit and a great success!". Okay.

150M is the norm for every big animated film. If you call it 'huge', you are a rookie. "Oh my god, 150 million, that's a lot of money..wow, it's around the number of neurons I have in my brain!"

It's not about what I expected, it's about what most expected. It's a matter of definition -> disappointment=what doesn't reach expectations. Now, the average prediction on this site was well above 620M WW and the same applies with KJ, BOM expected much more than that, Katzy expected much more, pretty much everyone interested in BO expected more. They were wrong? Well, that's kind of obvious. But it's still a disappointment. It's a hit AND a disappointment. And it's boring in a year when 700M has proven to be relatively easy to reach. You don't get it? Rookie.

If next year Avenger 2 grosses 800M on a 200M budget, what will you say? "I don't get why people are upset about this, it made 800M, that's 4 times its budget, that's a lot! It's a hit and a great success!". Okay.

You are so pissed that you don't get it your way that you need to use name calling. Like rookie? Seriously? Try probie. :P  NCIS is much more stilish. Considering your POV, TH is a disappointment, even though it made 1B. And yeah, 150M may be the norm but it is still a HUGE budget.  

Edited by James

Most of the prediction here were at least $500m OS.

• Like 1

On the flip side, it still had a bigger increase than Ice Age 3, Toy Story 2, Kung Fu Panda 2, or any of the Madagascar sequels.

I don't think Ice Age 3 is a fair comparison.

But yeah, this movie's grosses feels like meh and boring.

• Like 1

About $440M? (BOM had it at $438.4 because - from what TalismanRing said - Fox International also counts Puerto Rico even though it's a U.S. territory that's also counted in domestic. BOM or their source - ERC? - always subtracted PR out of any OS totals which counted it.)

Probably won't make it to $450 - though it has outgrossed Up overseas (not sure how big the 3D take was on that). In USD, HTTYD2 did better than Up in quite a few markets, the reason they're only even is probably because Up did much better in the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain (probably due to Spain's economic woes, the only post-2009 films to have USD totals higher than Up's $37M were Lo Imposible and Ochos Apellidos Vascos.) Up also did a bit better in the Scandinavian territories, Portugal, Israel and Hong Kong. And Up made $51M in Japan and BOM didn't have China data, but HTTYD2 made $65M in China and still hasn't released in Japan, so those probably cancel each other out.

Either way, still a bit underwhelming - the bright side is that it expanded so much from the first in most markets. (And the fact that it's performing on the level of stuff like the first Kung Fu Panda and The Croods makes me wonder if in some respects, this is playing more like a first installment than a sequel, setting up for an increase next time...though probably not as big of an increase as this one had over the first.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

About $440M? (BOM had it at $438.4 because - from what TalismanRing said - Fox International also counts Puerto Rico even though it's a U.S. territory that's also counted in domestic. BOM or their source - ERC? - always subtracted PR out of any OS totals which counted it.)

Probably won't make it to $450 - though it has outgrossed Up overseas (not sure how big the 3D take was on that). In USD, HTTYD2 did better than Up in quite a few markets, the reason they're only even is probably because Up did much better in the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain (probably due to Spain's economic woes, the only post-2009 films to have USD totals higher than Up's $37M were Lo Imposible and Ochos Apellidos Vascos.) Up also did a bit better in the Scandinavian territories, Portugal, Israel and Hong Kong. And Up made $51M in Japan and BOM didn't have China data, but HTTYD2 made $65M in China and still hasn't released in Japan, so those probably cancel each other out.

Either way, still a bit underwhelming - the bright side is that it expanded so much from the first in most markets. (And the fact that it's performing on the level of stuff like the first Kung Fu Panda and The Croods makes me wonder if in some respects, this is playing more like a first installment than a sequel, setting up for an increase next time...though probably not as big of an increase as this one had over the first.)

Nice analysis.

Also, Up did $60m in Japan

I agree with pretty much everything. It is a nice analysis. I understand that comparing it to the Croods (which is embarassing for DWA, given that the two films made about the same amount of money) and Kung Fu Panda isn't fair because they weren't sequels so here's a fair comparison:

Increase of animated sequel over original (overseas)

G9sQGBI.jpg

HTTYD 2 had the 6th biggest increase on the list (out of 11 films) which is average - not good, not bad. It also has the 6th biggest gross on the list (behind DM2, KFP2, Shrek 2, MU, IA2). With little competition (e.g. MU and DM2 were competing, same for Cars 2 and KFP2), the China boom and years of inflation, the gross is not average, it is a bit on the disappointing side.

Edited by Quigley
  • Like 1

I agree with pretty much everything. It is a nice analysis. I understand that comparing it to the Croods (which is embarassing for DWA, given that the two films made about the same amount of money) and Kung Fu Panda isn't fair because they weren't sequels so here's a fair comparison:

Increase of animated sequel over original (overseas)

G9sQGBI.jpg

HTTYD 2 had the 6th biggest increase on the list (out of 11 films) which is average - not good, not bad. It also has the 6th biggest gross on the list (behind DM2, KFP2, Shrek 2, MU, IA2). With little competition (e.g. MU and DM2 were competing, same for Cars 2 and KFP2), the China boom and years of inflation, the gross is not average, it is a bit on the disappointing side.

From that list I see Dragon 2 is the only one movie not focused on comedy, and besides MU, it is the one with the longest time gap from the first.

Still disappointing, though.

P.S.: Ice Age 2 is the number one on percentage increase but Despicable Me 2 had the biggest increase in dollars. ( The only first sequel to surpass $600m )

• Like 1