Godzilla

How to Train Your Dragon 2 OS (418 mil OS!!!)

I am delighted and ecstasized by the announcement that HTTYD3 has been moved from its initial date of June 17, 2016 - the same date as Finding Dory - to June 9, 2017. 

Posted Image

I was going to announce it right now, but thank you hater, it feels like you've been searching for Dragons a lot recently.   

Edited by xSabrinax
  • Like 1

Posted Image

I was going to announce it right now, but thank you hater, it feels like you've been searching for Dragons a lot recently.   

Not really. I just check BOM as usual and I noticed it under LATEST UPDATES. Strangely, no other box office website like boxoffice.com or THR or Deadline (R.I.P. Nikki Finke) have talked about it, although every one had mentioned that BvS had receded in the Marvel vs DC contest for May 2016's first weekend. Deadline even posted an article 19 hours ago, saying that the 2 films (HTTYD3 and FD) are opening on the same day. http://deadline.com/2014/09/nice-guys-russell-crowe-ryan-gosling-release-date-shane-black-827715/

Not really. I just check BOM as usual and I noticed it under LATEST UPDATES. Strangely, no other box office website like boxoffice.com or THR or Deadline (R.I.P. Nikki Finke) have talked about it, although every one had mentioned that BvS had receded in the Marvel vs DC contest for May 2016's first weekend. Deadline even posted an article 19 hours ago, saying that the 2 films (HTTYD3 and FD) are opening on the same day. http://deadline.com/2014/09/nice-guys-russell-crowe-ryan-gosling-release-date-shane-black-827715/

You know what I mean.  <_<

Posted Image

Hey, I wouldn't call that worthy of a "hater" response—I think that it's actually beneficial it was moved.  Finding Dory is a film that's very anticipated right now, so HTTYD3 releasing on the same day would definitely have hurt it.  If anything it's good that it got moved, even though there seems to be more competition movie-amount-wise at the new release, nothing that's really a major threat as of now (will have to see about the untitled Pixar film though)

• Like 1

Hey, I wouldn't call that worthy of a "hater" response—I think that it's actually beneficial it was moved.  Finding Dory is a film that's very anticipated right now, so HTTYD3 releasing on the same day would definitely have hurt it.  If anything it's good that it got moved, even though there seems to be more competition movie-amount-wise at the new release, nothing that's really a major threat as of now (will have to see about the untitled Pixar film though)

I'm happy that Dragons moved, my concern is not with it. Is not bad news.

My concern was because I wanted to share it, but this "hater" did this first, and his focus wasn't even the new release date for Dragons, was the "Disney's victory" thing.  <_< 

Disney didn't "win," nobody "won," the film was never going to make the date. No big-budget animated sequel has ever been ready for release 2 years after the last one; the just under 3 years between the releases of Kung Fu Panda and Kung Fu Panda 2 is the shortest gap between release dates that's ever happened. (I'm not counting stuff like Planes 2 or The Nut Job 2, I mean the A-list major productions.)In this case, 1.) HTTYD3 was not in simultaneous production, and 2.) HTTYD2 had story changes involving taking stuff that had been planned for HTTYD3 and moving it into 2 (originally, Drago was either not going to show up until 3, or the climax of the Drago arc was originally in 3).I was already certain last summer that HTTYD3 was going to move - this was before the Dory move, and long before HTTYD2 underperformed domestically.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Disney didn't "win," nobody "won," the film was never going to make the date. No big-budget animated sequel has ever been ready for release 2 years after the last one; the just under 3 years between the releases of Kung Fu Panda and Kung Fu Panda 2 is the shortest gap between release dates that's ever happened. (I'm not counting stuff like Planes 2 or The Nut Job 2, I mean the A-list major productions.)In this case, 1.) HTTYD3 was not in simultaneous production, and 2.) HTTYD2 had story changes involving taking stuff that had been planned for HTTYD3 and moving it into 2 (originally, Drago was either not going to show up until 3, or the climax of the Drago arc was originally in 3).I was already certain last summer that HTTYD3 was going to move - this was before the Dory move, and long before HTTYD2 underperformed domestically.

Ok, maybe all this is correct and my perspective of a Disney victory isn't correct, but can someone back up this view with a source?

Ok, maybe all this is correct and my perspective of a Disney victory isn't correct, but can someone back up this view with a source?

What part of that?

E.g. Release dates of animated big budgets... ones => take a look into IMDb or BOM...

You can search for animated and so on also at BOM, that excludes the not in the US cinema released movies = shorter list.

Or you pick franchise lists at BOM or....

=> if you start to read up as suggested, you'll get a feel for where to find what. And a general 'feel' / knowledge for details like release rhythm, budgets, ... and many more details

Be aware about the immensely growing importance of international market for the studios / distributors and the reasons why not always the best US dates/details,... are also the best for the final results.

Take a look into the decreasing numbers for home entertainment too, VOD... and many many more details more.

There are literally thousands over thousands articles to learn from, learn to recognize which sources provide the best researched ones. Do not belief in fan-run websites, they do have sometimes interesting tidbits, but rarely the neutrality to conclude in an unbiased way.

I use Variety for non-promi ... related articles (as in e.g. Chinese business...), Forbes, BOM, BO.com's articles here seem also often not get read, some UK magazines / websites, some German ones, Australia has some interesting too, Screendaily has good datas, Rentrak, Bloomberg, some bigger news stories by typical general news stations like when cnn 'discussed' in an article with the senior something at Rentrak comparison details, and many many more.

Interviews with big-wigs, articles about buy-outs, analyzing the whys of change provide also often a lot of insight.

MPAA reports, Disney quarterly reports to share-holders, public records for tax pay-outs....

For example something unrelated, but showing some numbers, details as in how much can be learned even with a ~ simple article, if it is the right one for a certain interest.

The insider mentioned details where a good hint to look out for those details too and so I found later on more about that

http://variety.com/2010/film/news/move-for-marvel-rights-1118025864/

=> very helpful to get a feel for the real financial gain for a certain movie or...  and how important companies see now the international market, if they are willing to pay as much for the non-shared rights and so on. See again about the numbers in the last part of the article.

Or articles about the tax details in UK (highest world-wide), hence the reason why Disney (and others) like to film there for certain movies, but not all their movies

Read, learn,.... not only for one movie, but in general, you'll get a 'feel', a kind of 'instinct' about some basics, but for exact details = never without an official chart... and even than often some details missing.

You can force for example a movie to get ready earlier or in time, but usually only with considerable higher costs. That is a knowledge, you'll gain out of such reports too, as they list the extra costs needed too, their 'defending' going over budget...

As more you read, as more you should realize things like this too:

=> companies do compete, but not in the 'victory' style for a detail related to only one movie as you seem to assume.

They are not stupid, they want and need cinemas to survive too, so the market needs a broader offer for the GA to stay interested. Especially nowadays as admission numbers are so heavily decreasing over the year.

Long range plans, not short term 'victory' for a certain date or even one special movie's result.

You'll realize probably then or are already aware details like:

Disney is good in recognizing e.g. GA not only interested to watch in the earlier to middle sumer season the typical for it big-eventers, some other studios seem to still need time to adjust to that realization. Or using in-house possibilities to advertise new projects, to combine different kind of media for gaining general awareness within GA. So there Disney 'wins', but it is not a 'victory' over the others, it's for now being a step before them in this specified detail, nothing less/more.

Btw as more as you read as more you'll learn something else too:

you'll never have real insight as a non-involved person, as more you learn as more you'll realize how big the parts are that are not general knowledge or how often that general knowledge is a rather false one.

And the market is in a strong movement of change, for the moment in a rather speedy way...

• Like 1

BOM got an updated mid-week OS number of $427,966,446, which pushed their WW total to $602,059,934. (Again, I assume this has Puerto Rico subtracted out on the OS side, as TalismanRing explained earlier in the thread.)

Puerto Rico is not listed within the movies results, but not all 'involved' countries are usually listed there. The tweet is now 31 minutes old, sounds actual to me.

It is actual - my point is that BOM's OS totals are always less than the official for studios that double-count PR. (It's already counted as part of domestic.)That's why the studio announced $600M on Tuesday but BOM didn't consider it to have crossed $600M until now.

Edited by TServo2049

It is actual - my point is that BOM's OS totals are always less than the official for studios that double-count PR. (It's already counted as part of domestic.)That's why the studio announced $600M on Tuesday but BOM didn't consider it to have crossed $600M until now.

I think we meant the same.... ;) (see the extra comments)