Godzilla

How to Train Your Dragon 2 OS (418 mil OS!!!)

It probably has $45-50M left to make China, it only has to make $20M from the rest of it markets, which IMO will be easy. I say this tops around at $620M WW.

I think you're being over-optimistic about China. $50m more is a lot. $600m should happen, however.

DreamWorks Animation’s How To Train Your Dragon 2 ruled the international roost on $37.7m, powered by a mighty $25.9m debut in China through Oriental DreamWorks.

FOX INTERNATIONAL

The animation has amassed $366m overall, mostly through Fox International, and is on course to overtake Rio 2 and become the biggest animation at the international box office of the year-to-date.

The Chinese launch in 3,379 locations delivered a debut that according to Fox International sources was eight times larger than that of the original.

Dragon 2 opened top in Italy on an impressive $3.6m from 673 and added $2.2m from 1,082 in its fourth session in Germany to rank fourth and climb to $19.8m. The UK has generated $36.1m after six and France $24.6m after seven. Spain has produced $8.7m after three.

HallleyyyuuuuuyahhhhhhhhhhhHhh!!!

" THIS IS AMAZINGGGGGGG!" A nice bounce back and seems Dragon 2 all could go beyond 600M WW :)

Do you think we can get to 450M OS all?

It probably has $45-50M left to make China, it only has to make $20M from the rest of it markets, which IMO will be easy. I say this tops around at $620M WW.

Nice and maybe we can go even further. So glad Dragon2 rebounded nicely and Fox will rethink their release dates for the domestic part of this franchise and use better marketing, so hopefully Dragon 3 makes that 250-300+M Domestic mark :)

Does anybody have both admissions AND gross data for both HTTYD1 and HTTYD2 in any particular countries? I got to thinking about because of South Korea, where HTTYD2 has passed HTTYD1 in admissions, but not in gross, due to only about 25% of admissions for Dragon 2 being for 3D, down from something like 75% for Dragon 1.I'm curious how many foreign markets had more growth in admissions than in gross, and specifically how much of that is due to declining popularity of 3D (as opposed to local market factors - economic decline, changes in currency value, fewer people going to the movies). I'd prefer local-currency grosses, since the changes in exchange rates against U.S. dollars would just complicate the comparisons.HTTYD1 vs. HTTYD2 makes a great test case for the popularity of 3D in 2010 vs. 2014, since the first film came out right after Avatar, and the 3D was THE big selling point. Domestically, if HTTYD2 had had as big a 3D share as HTTYD1, it would probably be in the 190s - maybe even 200m, I'm not working off solid 2D vs. 3D price averages. (There won't be a better pair of films to compare until 2016, when Alice in Wonderland 2 and - hopefully - Avatar 2 come out.)For Germany, insidekino has the admissions and gross for HTTYD1, but only admissions for HTTYD2.Dragon 1:1,625,651 adm. / €12,557,052 grossDragon 2 (as of 8-17):1,903,096 adm. / €??,???,??? gross

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

So up to now, up 17% in gross versus 16.6% in admissions. Actually pretty close - I wonder, did 3D percentage stay relatively the same, or did general price inflation just balance out the drop? And how big was the German 3D share for HTTYD1 to begin with?What prompted me to start this: Comparison of South Korean admissions with BOM's latest available totals for the two films in South Korean won (Rsyu or anybody else have an accurate final KRW total for HTTYD1 or current KRW total for HTTYD2?HTTYD1:2,603,857 adm. / ~27.06 billion KRW grossHTTYD2 (to date):2,965,790 adm. / ~23.06 billion KRW gross (as of Sunday - I have no no local gross info for Mon.-Fri.)That's an almost 14% increase in admissions...but an almost 15% decrease in gross.As mentioned on the South Korean thread, the 3D share for Dragon 1 was 76% (that's considerably bigger than even the domestic 3D percentage) but the 3D share for Dragon 2 is only about 26%.(As a side note, this is an example of how comparing local currency and USD will yield different results due to exchange rate changes. HTTYD2's $22.6m cume is only a 10% decrease from HTTYD1's $25.1m. Comparing different weekends on BOM, $1 used to be equal to almost 1,200 KRW, now it's only worth 1,020.)Another list of questions for Rsyu or another Korean: Have regular non-3D ticket prices gone up or down since 2010? Are 3D tickets more or less expensive in 2014? And do 3D tickets have a higher or lower premium vs. standard tickets now compared to 2010?

Edited by TServo2049

So up to now, up 17% in gross versus 16.6% in admissions. Actually pretty close - I wonder, did 3D percentage stay relatively the same, or did general price inflation just balance out the drop? And how big was the German 3D share for HTTYD1 to begin with?What prompted me to start this: Comparison of South Korean admissions with BOM's latest available totals for the two films in South Korean won (Rsyu or anybody else have an accurate final KRW total for HTTYD1 or current KRW total for HTTYD2?HTTYD1:2,603,857 adm. / ~27.06 billion KRW grossHTTYD2 (to date):2,965,790 adm. / ~23.06 billion KRW gross (as of Sunday - I have no no local gross info for Mon.-Fri.)That's an almost 14% increase in admissions...but an almost 15% decrease in gross.As mentioned on the South Korean thread, the 3D share for Dragon 1 was 76% (that's considerably bigger than even the domestic 3D percentage) but the 3D share for Dragon 2 is only about 26%.(As a side note, this is an example of how comparing local currency and USD will yield different results due to exchange rate changes. HTTYD2's $22.6m cume is only a 10% decrease from HTTYD1's $25.1m. Comparing different weekends on BOM, $1 used to be equal to almost 1,200 KRW, now it's only worth 1,020.)Another list of questions for Rsyu or another Korean: Have regular non-3D ticket prices gone up or down since 2010? Are 3D tickets more or less expensive in 2014? And do 3D tickets have a higher or lower premium vs. standard tickets now compared to 2010?

HTTYD:27,471,926,367 HTTYD2:23,845,827,589 

Edited by efialtes76

OK, so using those numbers, as of today it's up 14.5% in admissions but down 13% in gross.South Korea must have been the market where HTTYD1 benefited most from 3D, because it seems to be the only market where HTTYD2 dropped in gross but gained in admissions. And again I ask, how have 2D ticket prices and 3D ticket prices changed in South Korea since 2010?

Not enough steam left for it to get there. But after the domestic underperformance, it's at least comforting to see that won't end its OS run just barely squeaking over $400m like Puss in Boots or Croods did.And Dragon 2's (so far) 44% OS increase over Dragon 1 is still the biggest sequel jump for DreamWorks outside of Shrek 2's insane 121% surge, and the only other DWA sequel to cross $400m without its predecessor making over $300m.Also BTW, all three of the DWA movies that got to $500m OS had predecessors that grossed over $400m. I hope that bodes well for HTTYD3...

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3