Godzilla

How to Train Your Dragon 2 OS (418 mil OS!!!)

How to Train Your Dragon 2 rises 25% in the UK in sixth weekend, and has now flown to £18.1m, surpassing its predecessor's £17.4m.

DreamWorks Animation’s How To Train Your Dragon 2 is days away from breaching $300m as $20.1m from 36 for $296.7m. The family feature opened top in Spain on $3.1m from 681 and added $3.3m in Germany for $11.7m after two sessions. The UK has produced $30.4m after four. South Korea stands at $17.8m after two from non-Fox.

$17m from holdovers(-29%.)

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 1

How to Train Your Dragon 2 rises 25% in the UK in sixth weekend, and has now flown to £18.1m, surpassing its predecessor's £17.4m.

DreamWorks Animation’s How To Train Your Dragon 2 is days away from breaching $300m as $20.1m from 36 for $296.7m. The family feature opened top in Spain on $3.1m from 681 and added $3.3m in Germany for $11.7m after two sessions. The UK has produced $30.4m after four. South Korea stands at $17.8m after two from non-Fox.

$17m from holdovers(-29%.)

:worthy:

School holidays in the UK. Same story as in Australia and New Zealand last month, the schools got out and the numbers increased.Glad to see this after the near-50% drop last weekend, and the completely artificial 76% drop the weekend before (due to two weeks of previews being deferred into the official OW number and making the next weekend's decrease seem that much worse).

Edited by TServo2049

Yes, I think it has a cult following in Japan?And I wonder if it would help that HTTYD2 has scenes and beats in it that almost play like a Miyazaki film. (Though of course, Japanese audiences also tend to reject American stuff when they perceive it as ripping off their own movies - Hunger Games, Pacific Rim, and so on...)

Edited by TServo2049

(Though of course, Japanese audiences also tend to reject American stuff when they perceive it as ripping off their own movies - Hunger Games, Pacific Rim, and so on...)

Big Hero 6? :unsure: That one could go either way, and it will be interesting to find out what actually happens. I'm not real hopeful about HTTYD2's prospects in Japan because so few non-Japanese, non-WDAS, non-Pixar animated features have even been modestly successful, regardless of their success in the rest of the world, and none have broken out.Granted, Frozen was WDAS' first major breakout, but then again they have had far more successful releases than any non-Japanese studio besides Pixar, so the movie and the Disney brand in general at least had a foothold in that market, while other non-Japanese studios have always struggled:http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1962997#p1962997That's pretty weak, and the original HTTYD didn't even make the billion yen club. With some minor exceptions, DWA just hasn't been able to get any traction over there. I suppose there is always a chance of a surprise breakout, sort of like Frozen in South Korea, where DWA rules with regard to animation while both WDAS and Pixar have historically had a hard time, but I think that was a one-off phenomenon there anyway (subsequent WDAS animated features will probably flop there as usual), and it is unlikely to the extreme that the same would happen with HTTYD2 in Japan (unless there is a huge cult following that I'm unaware of).
  • Like 1

Big Hero 6? :unsure: That one could go either way, and it will be interesting to find out what actually happens. I'm not real hopeful about HTTYD2's prospects in Japan because so few non-Japanese, non-WDAS, non-Pixar animated features have even been modestly successful, regardless of their success in the rest of the world, and none have broken out.Granted, Frozen was WDAS' first major breakout, but then again they have had far more successful releases than any non-Japanese studio besides Pixar, so the movie and the Disney brand in general at least had a foothold in that market, while other non-Japanese studios have always struggled:http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1962997#p1962997That's pretty weak, and the original HTTYD didn't even make the billion yen club. With some minor exceptions, DWA just hasn't been able to get any traction over there. I suppose there is always a chance of a surprise breakout, sort of like Frozen in South Korea, where DWA rules with regard to animation while both WDAS and Pixar have historically had a hard time, but I think that was a one-off phenomenon there anyway (subsequent WDAS animated features will probably flop there as usual), and it is unlikely to the extreme that the same would happen with HTTYD2 in Japan (unless there is a huge cult following that I'm unaware of).

Big Hero 6 will be fine, they love Disney movies.

Big Hero 6 will be fine, they love Disney movies.

Well, on the average they love Pixar movies even more, but that still didn't stop Brave from flopping, so it's not all about the studio or brand (certainly not in the case of the Planes movies from DisneyToon Studios, which are branded as "Disney" like WDAS movies are, and gross a pittance). Big Hero 6 with its imitation-Japanese elements could be perceived as insulting as opposed to the "love letter" to Japan that it is intended to be, and it'll be interesting to see whether and how much of this will be offset by the core of the movie, which somewhat like Frozen would seem to appeal to the Japanese people (has nothing to do with Japan per se--it's just something they would seem to like and possibly find some resonance in).Anyway, given that nobody "realistically" expects much of HTTYD2 at the box office in Japan, myself included, wouldn't it be funny if it grossed more than BH6? It could happen--probably won't, given that Disney Japan's advertising is once again spot-on for BH6 in this market, but I think it could. This is after all Japan, the land of unpredictable foreign movie grosses, and they often hate when foreign movies overtly try to be "Japanese" in some way (yes, I know there is The Last Samurai, which was a major blockbuster in Japan, but I consider that a different thing).

Yes, I think it has a cult following in Japan?And I wonder if it would help that HTTYD2 has scenes and beats in it that almost play like a Miyazaki film. (Though of course, Japanese audiences also tend to reject American stuff when they perceive it as ripping off their own movies - Hunger Games, Pacific Rim, and so on...)

Godzilla

Godzilla

Japanese people don't mind so much when it's sufficiently authentic--they're not THAT closed-minded with regard to foreign movies. The problem is when something American seems like a mockery of something Japanese, such as the 1998 version of Godzilla, or is a ripoff in the sense that something Japanese is portrayed as something American, Western, or generally foreign, such as in Pacific Rim. They seem to find things like this insulting or at least off-putting. That's why I'm concerned about Big Hero 6--I'm not sure how its pseudo-manga elements will generally be perceived, among other things, and these elements being Americanized and Disneyfied on top of that sure doesn't help. Frozen managed to appeal greatly (that's an understatement) to Japanese sensibilities and popular taste without invoking such issues, while in contrast Big Hero 6 will be tiptoeing through a minefield--it might be OK, but so many things could potentially go very wrong. Without the "Japanese" elements, there would be much less risk in Japan, and I really think that the story itself, on its own, will appeal to Japanese audiences a lot, but oh well--that's its schtick and it's "schticking" to it.As for HTTYD2, I don't see this issue coming into play at all. Its major hurdles are: it is non-Disney and non-Pixar (the Japanese greatly favor these brands regarding foreign animation), the first movie didn't make much, and foreign sequels generally do poorly in comparison to the originals (the opposite of the rest of the overseas market collectively, but not as different from the domestic market--just a lot more extreme in that sequels almost always gross less). Because of various specific circumstances, HTTYD2 may possibly be an exception and gross more than the original, but I still wouldn't bet on it. Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 3