Godzilla

How to Train Your Dragon 2 OS (418 mil OS!!!)

looks like international grosses saved this films ass. 

I think studios go more and more for the OS audiences. Ice Age, Despicable Me, Madagascar and now Dragon. These are huge WW players and the OS audiences are easier to please. In a world where a movie as critically trashed as TF makes over 300M from just one OS market it's easy to see why filmmakers would care less about the DOM audience. Dragon 3 will easily make 500M+ OS. Even with a 150m budget, that alone will make the movie a success.

• Like 1

DreamWorks Animation’s How To Train Your Dragon 2 ruled the international roost on $37.7m, powered by a mighty $25.9m debut in China through Oriental DreamWorks.

FOX INTERNATIONAL

The animation has amassed $366m overall, mostly through Fox International, and is on course to overtake Rio 2 and become the biggest animation at the international box office of the year-to-date.

The Chinese launch in 3,379 locations delivered a debut that according to Fox International sources was eight times larger than that of the original.

Dragon 2 opened top in Italy on an impressive $3.6m from 673 and added $2.2m from 1,082 in its fourth session in Germany to rank fourth and climb to $19.8m. The UK has generated $36.1m after six and France $24.6m after seven. Spain has produced $8.7m after three.

• Like 5

The Animation Guild blog says HTTYD3 is already in early development at DWA, but this China performance just seals the deal. We're getting HTTYD3.People worried after TF4 that China will have undue influence on Hollywood's future output, but if it means HTTYD3, I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords. :)Wait, is the Chinese release through DW, or Fox? It says Oriental DreamWorks, but is also mentioned under Fox International. (And if it's directly through ODW, does that mean DWA would get a bigger piece of the Chinese gross than if it were going through Fox?)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 6

The Animation Guild blog says HTTYD3 is already in early development at DWA, but this China performance just seals the deal. We're getting HTTYD3.People worried after TF4 that China will have undue influence on Hollywood's future output, but if it means HTTYD3, I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords. :)

They're probably releasing the sequel in 2017. I think it'll be released in early March cause every other month of 2017 there's an animated movie coming out. I don't see this being released in June of 2017, there's 3 animated movies already coming out in the span of just 2 months, Despicable Me 3, Lego Movie sequel and a Fox movie.

Then what happens to the Bollywood monkey musical thing? That's the one I keep worrying is gonna get cancelled - it's bern in development for over three years, but there hasn't been any tangible news about its progress in many months. (Maybe it and Larrikins will each get bumped back a year? There's no other open space for it...)

Edited by TServo2049

The Animation Guild blog says HTTYD3 is already in early development at DWA, but this China performance just seals the deal. We're getting HTTYD3.People worried after TF4 that China will have undue influence on Hollywood's future output, but if it means HTTYD3, I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords. :)Wait, is the Chinese release through DW, or Fox? It says Oriental DreamWorks, but is also mentioned under Fox International. (And if it's directly through ODW, does that mean DWA would get a bigger piece of the Chinese gross than if it were going through Fox?)

DW

The Animation Guild blog says HTTYD3 is already in early development at DWA, but this China performance just seals the deal. We're getting HTTYD3.People worried after TF4 that China will have undue influence on Hollywood's future output, but if it means HTTYD3, I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords. :)

Meaning their bad tastes aren't so bad after all.Sorry for being snarky but China coped with so much crap during TF4 run so I find it ironic that when it comes to their favourite movies turn 'China and the bad taste people' becomes their saviour.I don't aim my comment at you btw. Thanks for recognising the fact that its a very generous market for a lot of movies not just the bad ones. Edited by KATCH 22
  • Like 1

Which is why I wasn't trashing China when TF4 broke out. I knew China had a possibility of becoming the market to "save" HTTYD2, so I said nothing.China has ensured that HTTYD3 is a guarantee, and is solely responsible for Pacific Rim 2 getting a greenlight, so I can't completely hate on their cinematic tastes. (Heck, they were the biggest foreign market for Captain America 2, by a WIDE margin. That has to count for something...)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3

Which is why I wasn't trashing China when TF4 broke out. I knew China had a possibility of becoming the market to "save" HTTYD2, so I said nothing.China has ensured that HTTYD3 is a guarantee, and is solely responsible for Pacific Rim 2 getting a greenlight, so I can't completely hate on their cinematic tastes. (Heck, they were the biggest foreign market for Captain America 2, by a WIDE margin. That has to count for something...)

And DOFP or Edge of Tomorrow!

• Like 3