Godzilla

How to Train Your Dragon 2 OS (418 mil OS!!!)

Give me a break

That's true...Yeah its DOM performance is sad but it got great increases in France,Brazil,Russia,Argentina...Stop complaining guys and you particularly John,always complaining and pessimistic,you will have a heart attack a day or another with such an attitude ^^"

• Like 2

A roller coaster. About a 25M OS week after a 33M weekend. Obviously, that's due to last weekend's number including some massive UK previews.

Anyways, no need to be a weathercock. 400M+ OS is still very likely.

I think we will do more.. Thanks to china..Lets hope for over 500+M OS :).. Dragon deserves a huge OS run

• Like 1

China could be really really good for us ASh :)

I really hope China is the one market where this movie really breaks out.... Given how DM2 and Frozen made around $50m there, even The Croods made $62m or so (but it was a sleeper-hit because it was holding magnificently).

• Like 2

So apart from UK and Venezuela, rest of the markets did 9m this weekend, over 50% drop. I was hoping it would hold better.Market LW TWUK 16.1 3.6FRA 4.8 2.0AUS 2.5 1.0BRA 1.7 1.1VEN - 1.4Rest 10 5Total 35 14

How is it Dragon2 seems to be making more in all markets than its predecessor and is still looking so lame and having to fight its way to making it past it?

I would have thought the quality of the movie would allow it to develop legs not these quite large drops its been having everywhere. Do people not like it actually? It's so puzzling and depressing but yeah, I'm too disillusioned by the summer and audiences to care much.

It had soft launches in many markets due to World Cup and I would say it had good legs so far. I think that Transformers hurt it since their release dates have been very close in most of the markets. It's simply not that huge as people wanted it be. And maybe lately some people forgot that reaching 350M-400M OS is not that easy as it seems.

• Like 1

Lol, this summer is a wasteland.

Dragon 2 was placed in a great position, very distant from every other animated film and right at the beginning of summer weekdays. It only had to face Earth to Echo and Planes 2, as well as Transformers and Apes. The first two will barely make 100M combined, TF4 disappointed and Apes isn't exactly what you call 'direct competition'. Monsters University was a prequel, it opened right after Superman's 120M OW, shared the weekend with WWZ, found Despicable Movie 2 on its way after just 12 days (!) and then had to deal with a bunch of modest family flicks all appealing to its demo. The OS scenario wasn't too different.

If anything, the move should have helped Dragon 2 a lot - and we can't even exclude that, maybe with a March release it would have made Rio's #s. Every high prediction (meaning pretty much every prediction) had the release date as one of its main strong points.

• Like 3

i pretty happy with  france number as well, transformers 4 opened this week and the movie already did huge number and it's probably now over the first movie in 3 weeks!  we are in France, you can't expect one movie to do 725 000 admissisons each week! the hold is good after three weeks.  

I don't know what people are exepecting but france hold is good for dragons 2. When a movie does more than 2 millions in two weeks , it's already a big success and now it's probably over what the first made in 10 weeks.  Dragons 2 could end up around 3m 3.5 m admissions in France, it's really good. I have no doubt  the movie will be on theater until the end of the summer.

i pretty happy with france number as well, transformers 4 opened this week and the movie already did huge number and it's probably now over the first movie in 3 weeks! we are in France, you can't expect one movie to do 725 000 admissisons each week! the hold is good after three weeks. I don't know what people are exepecting but france hold is good for dragons 2. When a movie does more than 2 millions in two weeks , it's already a big success and now it's probably over what the first made in 10 weeks. Dragons 2 could end up around 3m 3.5 m admissions in France, it's really good. I have no doubt the movie will be on theater until the end of the summer.

Admission number looks healthy but Dragon 1 did $22.6M in France and Dragon 2 so far did about $15M. Possibly because Dragon 1 had a much more 3D-centric run thus had inflated ticket price. Still think it's possible that the sequel surpasses its predecesor's total gross in dollars, too.In Korea I see different things. Its admission number will take a hit since it's sandwiched by about four(!) highly anticipated local hits and Korean cinema chain and distributiom companies and productiom companies are all related companies so having big local releases mean foreign films getting hurt. HOWEVER, the good news is we have this somewhat popular 4dx showings spread throughout the whole country, with moving chairs and additional special effects like water spraying and stuff, and the ticket price is almost like 2-3 times for those showings and Dragon is considered one of those event films that people should see it either in IMAX or 4DX format with extra fees. So that will be a plus for the film's total gross in dollars. If I am being optimistic, I am seeing $25M-$30M.

Admission number looks healthy but Dragon 1 did $22.6M in France and Dragon 2 so far did about $15M. Possibly because Dragon 1 had a much more 3D-centric run thus had inflated ticket price. Still think it's possible that the sequel surpasses its predecesor's total gross in dollars, too. 

dragons 1 did 22.6 in France in 10 weeks.... Dragons 2 did 15M in  3 weeks .... Where is the problems 7 weeks are missing for the final numbers of France.

Edited by pupuceplus
  • Like 1