kayumanggi

Weekend #s | SAT (12.28.2013) 10.5 M TH: TDOS | 09.7 M - 10.0 M FROZEN | 07.4 M AM ll | 07.2 M AH

• Founder / Operator

I think Hobbit is failing to appeal to families. I think the demographics for opening weekend skewed male and older

If Hobbit weren't appealing to families, its legs would be much shorter. Opening weekend demographics skew toward older males for a series like that.

That's one reason I don't put much stock in those numbers because they fail to take into account the moviegoing habits of real audiences (i.e., non-fans) when it comes to franchises. Another good example of that is Catching Fire.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 6

That's true, too. Tangled started this, but I also don't feel like it was a widely beloved as Frozen seems to be.

Frozen just seemed to really click with the audiences when I saw it and is getting fantastic word of mouth.

• Like 3

And all the talk of a Frozen sequel... it's not gonna happen. Disney doesn't do sequels just because they have so much in development at one point. It wouldn't be released until, like, 2018 at the earliest.

True, but I'd say because its just not needed. The stories been told. Disney will make books, short films with Olaf, live plays, a Disney Channel series/special, Frozen characters at Disney World, video games and apps, furniture, clothes, dolls, DC and ABC Family, literally everything, and thall keep the Frozen franchise alive and keep Disney very rich. Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 4

True, but I'd say because its just not needed. The stories been told. Disney will make books, short films with Olaf, live plays, a Disney Channel series/special, Frozen characters at Disney World, video games and apps, furniture, clothes, dolls, literally everything, and thall keep the Frozen franchise alive and keep Disney very rich.

Yeah, Disney really doesn't need to release sequels to keep their movies profitable.

Things like the Little Mermaid are around 25 years old and they are still making bank with kids.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

Yeah, Disney really doesn't need to release sequels to keep their movies profitable.Things like the Little Mermaid are around 25 years old and they are still making bank with kids.

It will do good for them to stop throwing enormous amount of money at movies like TLR or John Carter though.
  • Like 2

Yeah, Disney really doesn't need to release sequels to keep their movies profitable.

Things like the Little Mermaid are around 25 years old and they are still making bank with kids.

No, Disney will make sequels like any studio, if the film is successful (remember all of those straight to video animated sequels, luckily those stopped years ago).

But sometimes sequels can go nowhere and end up in the discard pyle.

Edited by Saintarcher

Tomorrowland next?

I will contest...I'm glad they throw big money at movies like John Carter and Tomorrowland...those are risks I admire.

Granted, Disney is not so happy about them in hindsight.

In Tomorrowland's favor, I don't think it's quite as expensive as TLR of JC.

• Like 1

Tomorrowland next?

I like Brad Bird so I have high hopes for that one. But yeah, still not justified with budget in the range of 200-300M. Not to mention the marketing cost, which didn't do anything good towards JC and TLR. The marketing for JC probably even harmed it, lol.

I will contest...I'm glad they throw big money at movies like John Carter and Tomorrowland...those are risks I admire.Granted, Disney is not so happy about them in hindsight.In Tomorrowland's favor, I don't think it's quite as expensive as TLR of JC.

That's a very good thing. I really hope that movie will be successful.

Ed wasn't able to upload this, but insisted I put it up for him.

That's really awesome of you, Tele.Now I'm jealous. Should have become a crazed but adorable Nolanite when I got the chance. Shame.