LexJoker

Monday #s (12/30) 'HAPPY NEW YEAR'

Ah shit, I forgot about Annie. Museum probably will have to share with that. Either way kid's movies will combine for a solid 300m over next holiday, once again proving my point that Frozen got to have almost the whole pie instead of just a piece this year. Frozen never had to learn how to share.

Well the pie is basically this

Posted Image

Not going to say much, but when I saw Life of Pi in theaters, there were a lot of families in the audience.

But since in Portugal Frozen had the competition of Free Birds, Cloudy 2, Dinosaurs, Khumba and Niko 2, and it is already the biggest animation movie of the year since Christmas day, I would say competition doesn't matter for Frozen.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Pi isn't a kids movie, but I do think the marketing was appealing to kids. Animals and vibrant fantastical colors? What's not appealing to kids about that? Walter Mitty on the other hand was never appealing to kids in its marketing. Unless kids often drift off and dream about being someone else?

I saw Life of Pi in theatres for my birthday on a Saturday and 90% of the audience was adults. My friends and I were probably the youngest people there. 

And I saw it 3 times and a good third of the audience was kids each time (mainly in the 8-12 range). So anecdotal evidence really can't be used it seems.

Edited by MovieMan89

It doesn't matter about your spoiler because that won't be marketed in the trailer, and action doesn't scare off kids, in fact fantasy action actually encourages kids (think Pirates and Harry Potter).  

Also, kids will want to see how it ends if they saw the last two.

Yes, you're right, I was thinking in possible repeating factor should be affected for kids and families but since repeat factor is not being too high it should not affect too much. But said this,

the finale is quite depressing and tragic, and probably in the movie will be even more depressing and more tragic than in the book.

Using more anecdotal audience reports, my Dec 26th noon showing of Walter Mitty had maybe a dozen kids in attendance (a third of which were my nieces and nephews).

Boring. Tell me more about how HTTYD is the only animation next summer until GOTG in August.

Boring. Tell me more about how HTTYD is the only animation next summer until GOTG in August.

Planes 2 was erased from schedule and kids now apparently dislike Transformers. Also, GotG turned into an animation movie somewhere during production.

• Like 6