The Panda

Hypothetical Film Question: What Would Bad Movies Today Be Considered If Released in the 30s?

It did make half of it's total in 5 days though, a feat TDKR didn't achieve...

Transformers also made half it's money in its first week and that had excellent WOM. I'm sure had TDKR opened on a Wednesday it would have performed similar. Point is, Transformers 2 was liked by the public, whether people like to admit it or not.
  • Like 1

What does the general public even mean? I mean like, am I not part of the general public because I disliked this movie?

I'd say the general public are those who don't post on Internet movie forums every day. There are a lot of people who claim not to enjoy the Transformer movies on the Internet because they want to come across as intellectual therefore admitting to enjoying a Bay movie is out of the question. The GA aren't biast in their opinion. Im sure more people enjoy transformers 1,2 and 3 on these forums more than they care to admit otherwise why continue watching each installment if the others bored people that much?The general public probably know the Transformer movies are stupid at times but it entertains them so they enjoy it. Everyone on here likes to act like snobby critics so regardless whether they enjoy a film or not, people tend to hate on poorly reviewed films and sometimes miss out on some gems (were the Millers) because of it. The Michael Bay hate is just a long and exhausted bandwagon that keeps on growing the more successful Bay gets. Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

Yeah, TF2 made +800m WW (without 3D, no less) so there is no denying that the general public dug it. The general public are sheep though and I don't agree with them. Me personally, I found TF2 so f**king boring that I couldn't even watch the whole thing.

Edited by The Stingray
  • Like 1

I'd say the general public are those who don't post on Internet movie forums every day. There are a lot of people who claim not to enjoy the Transformer movies on the Internet because they want to come across as intellectual therefore admitting to enjoying a Bay movie is out of the question. The GA aren't biast in their opinion. Im sure more people enjoy transformers 1,2 and 3 on these forums more than they care to admit otherwise why continue watching each installment if the others bored people that much?The general public probably know the Transformer movies are stupid at times but it entertains them so they enjoy it. Everyone on here likes to act like snobby critics so regardless whether they enjoy a film or not, people tend to hate on poorly reviewed films and sometimes miss out on some gems (were the Millers) because of it. The Michael Bay hate is just a long and exhausted bandwagon that keeps on growing the more successful Bay gets.

I don't know what people who don't post their thoughts online think about the movie because they uhh, don't post their thoughts. General Audience is a pretty broad term, if its everyone who doesn't post on film forums. I wonder if the 80 year old grandma loves Transformers 2?As for me Transformers 2 was complete shit. But I enjoyed Bad Boys and The Rock. so that kinda blows your theory out of the water that people online give shit to that movie because they want to look intellectual and hence don't want to praise a Bay film.

I don't know what people who don't post their thoughts online think about the movie because they uhh, don't post their thoughts. General Audience is a pretty broad term, if its everyone who doesn't post on film forums. I wonder if the 80 year old grandma loves Transformers 2?As for me Transformers 2 was complete shit. But I enjoyed Bad Boys and The Rock. so that kinda blows your theory out of the water that people online give shit to that movie because they want to look intellectual and hence don't want to praise a Bay film.

Hey I didn't come up with the term 'general audience' it's been used on here for years so take that up with somebody else. I'm sure an 80 year old grandmother wouldn't enjoy Nolan's Batman films either so shall we stop saying the GA loved those movies too? Given the popularity of the series, it's safe to say that a lot of people enjoyed the films, is that better for you?And no it doesn't 'blow my theory out of the water' there are people on these forums that think that way, just because you're an exception it's doesn't mean it's not the case. Edited by Jessie

General audience is people who do not go online and hate or like films.

Simple as that... 

This. I find it hilarious how people think Transformers 2 was hated by the GA. It had very good legs for a supposedly hated film, better than TDKR lol

I don't mean to derail this thread, but you just compared the weekend multiplier of a Wednesday opener with the weekend multiplier of a Friday opener. Extremely flawed comparison. TF2 had already blown off $91m in Wednesday/Thursday demand before the weekend number had even happened. Can't ignore that $91m in figuring out how much steam it was losing over time. TF2 had worse legs from its 5-day opening than TDKR did.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/grossbydays.htm?days=5&p=.htm

TF2 = $200m in 5 days and $402m total

TDKR = $198m in 5 days and $448m total

That's the fairest comparison you can possibly have between a Wednesday and Friday opener.

Now, setting aside the box office analysis...I do agree with you that TF2 was better received with the general audience than people around here want to admit. But then again I would also say TF1 is a horrible movie and it had some of the best WOM of all-time judging by its home video sales.

Edited by redfirebird2008

Lol we talk about 1930 films and discussion goes to TDKR..  :blink:

As I said something like TF2 would likely  do well the male crowd back then like the TF always have. 

Films like TF are popular with that 15 year old cousin you have or the guy down the street just going to college and such. 

• Like 1