Kill Bill: Vol. 2

18 members have voted

1. 1. Kill Bill: Vol. 2

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This review is for both vol1 and vol2, makes no sense treating them differently.

An ok film. Very ok, if you like the genres to which Tarantino pays homage here. There's something strangely satisfying about watching ladies beat the shit blood out of each other, and Tarantino has a great eye for visuals. The action is over-the-top, completely unrealistic and fun, the music is really good (if eclectic) and the acting is, well, there's not much time for acting here.

So, as a whole, a fun ride. What's missing is Tarantino's own voice I feel, and some character. Basically, "Kill Bill" is a collage of cool figures in cool action sequences stiched together by a thin thread (a bit like "Sucker Punch"). And the characters are so cool (or caricatures of cool) that there is very little left except coolness. The same goes for the bride, whose sole character trait seems to be revenge. What distinguishes "Kill Bill" from "Sucker Punch": It admits freely what it is and wallows in its genre conventions. I liked it but it's definitely not Tarantino's best work.

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 1

The very last shot of the movie, in the initial end credits, is possibly the most I've ever been consistently touching things I've ever encountered. The "Uma Thurman as Beatrix Kiddo AKA Black Mamba..........AKA Mommy". When that pops up on the screen, even after all these times I've seen it, I have a hard time not shedding a tear. Hell, I'm getting all mushy thinking about it right now.