druv10

WKND BO: Frozen $20.7M/$297.8M, Paranormal 18.2, Hobbit 16.3/229.6, Wolf 13.4 (new Sun #s pg 83)

So, what are Frozen's chances of winning next weekend too?

If it ends up on the upper end of the week, and has a slight drop it could out open Lone Survivor, Her, and Hercules. (Only Her i've seen any advertising for at all, and it isn't overly GA friendly for a huge opener, more of a leggy run once Oscars noms announced in two weeks)

And Hercules is most likely bombing on a sub-10m opening, and I can't see Lone Survivor or Her opening any higher than the high teens (It took ZDT an oscar nomination and being about Bin Laden to even open at 24m, it also had a decent ad campaign, I can't see a movie with very limited advertising, no awards buzz, and of a less interesting subject open nearly as highly).

I think it really depends on how Lone Survivor performs. If it gets anything close to the response Zero Dark Thirty or Act of Valor got, it's probably looking at a 20 million opening. That probably will edge out Frozen which is probably looking at 15-17 million. However, who knows how Frozen will hold, and LS could open a bit lower than that, which could shake things up.

Lone Survivor is going to open to $20 million, maybe $25 million or more. Frozen is going to have great win this weekend and next weekend it will sit at a comfy #2 spot as it continues to distance itself from the rest of the holdovers to keep it's spot in theaters with the coming competition.

• Like 1

I haven't seen Frozen yet either.... :ph34r:

sdlgkjlkgfdljgk

Something that will make you happy though: my own personal non-Frozen watcher was going to finally see it tonight... but then changed her mind at the last second and decided to see Catching Fire again  :angry:

• Like 1

sdlgkjlkgfdljgk

Something that will make you happy though: my own personal non-Frozen watcher was going to finally see it tonight... but then changed her mind at the last second and decided to see Catching Fire again  :angry:

It does make me quite happy! :)

Edited by k1stpierre

Great day of football so far. First the epic game between Chiefs and Colts and now Saints vs. Eagles to end it with. Hopefully, latter is half as good as former.  :D

Edited by druv10

If Frozen does manage to take first next weekend, it's going to be in exceptionally rare company: films that didn't open #1 and then managed to take the spot three times.

It looks like in the past decade, only The Help has managed to do that. (Opened #2, and then took first the following three weekends.)

Star Trek IV: The Voyage HomeStar Trek II: The Wrath of KhanStar Trek (2009)Star Trek: First ContactStar Trek Into DarknessStar Trek VI: The Undiscovered CountryStar Trek III: The Search for SpockStar Trek: GenerationsStar Trek: NemesisStar Trek: InsurrectionStar Trek: The Motion PictureStar Trek V: The Final Frontier

Wrath of KhanStar TrekFirst ContactVoyage HomeInto DarknessUndiscovered CountrySearch for SpockGenerationsThe Motion PictureNemisisInsurrection Final Frontier

I think it really depends on how Lone Survivor performs. If it gets anything close to the response Zero Dark Thirty or Act of Valor got, it's probably looking at a 20 million opening. That probably will edge out Frozen which is probably looking at 15-17 million. However, who knows how Frozen will hold, and LS could open a bit lower than that, which could shake things up.

I'm predicting around 15-16m for Lone Survivor, ZDT had Oscar nominations, advertising, coming off the Hurt Locker, and a plot about Bin Laden (something fresh on everyone's mind).

Act of Valor had a superbowl trailer and was much more large crowd friendly.

Lone Survivor has...I don't even know, I haven't seen any ads, and it certainly isn't getting Oscar buzz.

Lone Survivor is going to open much higher than Frozen next weekend, imo.

I don't see how it opens that much higher, it has nothing going for it that says it can do anything higher than mid-high teens.

Act of Valor, ZDT, and Black Hawk Down all had something going for them besides being war based movies, or at least were decently advertised.

Edited by The Panda

I come home to find out there's NFL talk? Did Iceroll relent?

Did the Marvel/DC wars end? Is American Hustle no longer met with a resounding meh here? What's going on?

A classic just ended in Indianapolis so some talk about it is fair game. 

• Like 2

I don't see how it opens that much higher, it has nothing going for it that says it can do anything higher than mid-high teens.Act of Valor, ZDT, and Black Hawk Down all had something going for them besides being war based movies, or at least were decently advertised.

I'm seeing LS posters and TV spots all over the place. Why do you think the advertising is bad?In addition, the movie is based on a national bestseller. It's not exactly unknown. Edited by Telemachos

It was an absolutely fantastic game!!!! :DEpic choke job by the Chiefs! :lol:

They should have known this would happen after the omens were just not good. They tried to make a fountain in the stadium Red to support the Chiefs and it froze over.
  • Like 1

I don't see how it opens that much higher, it has nothing going for it that says it can do anything higher than mid-high teens.

Act of Valor, ZDT, and Black Hawk Down all had something going for them besides being war based movies, or at least were decently advertised.

Well, Shooter opened to 17 mill adjusted.  I think Lone Survivor will open at least that high, if not higher.  Frozen will likely finish with about 21 mill this weekend.  Frozen will drop between 35-40% and that puts it well under 17 mill.  So I think LS wins quite handily.

• Like 1