CoolioD1

DGA Nominees

What this tells us:- Wolf is a legit Oscar player. I'm glad that 'controversy' hasn't seemed to get in the way of nominations. Whether Scorsese actually gets a nod next week is shaky, though. - Hustle is the only contender to get noms from SAG, PGA, WGA and DGA. However, 12 Years a Slave would've done the same if it was eligible for WGA. Safe to say these are the top two contenders with Gravity locked at #3.- Captain Phillips looks stronger than Her or Nebraska now. - Llewyn was shut out of all the guilds. Not a good sign.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 4

This was so predicable I had the op typed out a minute before it was actually announced

Since 1990 the DGA 5 and the Best Director nominees have matched 5/5 only three times. I'm sure at least one of them won't get an oscar nomination. I think either Scorsese or Greengrass. The other three are probably safe (though we were all saying this about Ben Affleck last year. Heh)

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

Just checked-this is what I have in the Oscar game:Director:Alfonso Cuaron for GravityPaul Greengrass for Captain PhilipsSteve McQueen for 12 YearsDavid O. Russell for American HustleMartin Scorsese for Wolf of Wall StreetAlt: Spike Jonez for Her(I keep on wanting to call him Spike Jones like that annoying lil singer)

why would harvey cry? he'll cry if he walks away with no oscar guy and that's as unlikely as winning the lottery

of that list i've seen gravity and AH ,really bummed i didnt go see cpt P but it had spanish subtitles and subtitles annoy me because i tend to read them instead of watching the screen properly 

will save myself for 12YAS and WOWS on the big screen !

Edited by ladyevenstar22

Awesome that marty's in. And just a reminder that DGA only matched 2/5 last year (and sure DGA announced after AMPAS ballots were due last year, but this year it's only the day before and most of the AMPAS ballots have been already turned in.) So, it isn't like there's a week or two stretch for the DGA noms to sink in and affect the AMPAS. There's about 24 hours, which isn't a lot of time. While I don't expect a 2/5 match this year, I'm also not expecting a very good overlap either. I think 3/5 is about good. I think Greengrass is definitely the most vulnerable. And Marty and O Russell I can also easily see missing. Probably Coens would pick up a nod at the AMPS, imo. 

Or David O'Russell could get dropped in a shocker.

If that happens it's Argo all over again.... :(

I'm really disappointed Inside Llewyn Davis got shut out from the guilds, sure it will probably get a picture nod (hopefully, if it doesn't that's one of the biggest picture snubs in a very long time), but it's not going to be competing.

Also, either Greengrass or Scorsese are probably not going to get nominated, I am hoping Greengrass drops and Coen Brothers get in, but it'll probably be Payne or if the Academy goes big on Fruitvale like Beasts than Coogler.