grim22

Weekend Estimates: LS - 38.5M | FZ - 15.1M | WoWS - 9M | Hercules - 8.6M | AH - 8.6M | Her - 5.4M

TLS looking at 2nd biggest January OW ever.  145M+ would get it into the top 5 grossing January openers. Taken and Blart both managed ~5X multipliers in January 09, Torino did similar from its wide OW.  I remember being blown away by the business of all 3 at the time but they look even more impressive now.  What a January that was.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/month/?mo=01&sort=gross&order=DESC&p=.htm

• Like 2

Looking back at Taken, it opened on Superbowl weekend and fell 68.7% on Sunday, 21M on Fri/Sat, 3.6M Sunday.  Then managed a 5.9 multiplier from there and closed at 145M.  Had President's Day on its 3rd weekend, and the 4-day was a ~12% drop from the OW.  Crazy.

Blart was a shocker on OW itself.  It looked silly and predictions were low, yet it pulled a 40M 4-day OW.  

09 was just a big year for breakouts.  Blart/Taken early on, then FF4 opening huge.  Trek opening and sustaining, Up showing monster legs, Hangover just coming out of nowhere and ruling the summer comedy market alongside Proposal.  Blind Side blowing up during the holidays, NM with the 3rd biggest OW ever, Paranormal looking like the 2nd coming of Blair Witch, Sherlock opening amazing in a stacked Christmas period, and of course, the mother of them all in Avatar.

We had some underperformers as well of course, but it seemed like we were getting blitzed twice a month with something no one saw coming either opening huge or legging its way through, week after week.

Opening and response to TLS early on could be a precursor to a similar year that should have been relatively predictable.

• Like 6

Guys do you think I Frankenstein will open with 35-45+M range. Its looks interesting?

I was thinking there was a chance for that movie to be the first 100m domestic of 2014, but Lone Survivor will now probably take that title.  I think the movie looks interesting as well  :) .  I would think in the 25-35 range for OW

Edited by 23IsEverywhere