Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Lupita is the frontrunner but talk about hitting the jackpot on your first draft.

Lawrence could be the only chance at an acting win for Hustle since the other acting categories seem kinda locked by other actors than those in Hustle.

If Hustle looses in all 4 acting categories, it will be since a lot of time that a movie with 4 acting nods comes home with nada.

A Lawrence upset would be so fun just to see the hate flowing on the intrawebz. The favorite film geek word overrated would be repeated over and over and over.

Good times ahead if it happens.

Edited by The Futurist

Futurist, I mentioned it earlier in this thread that the only 2 films that were nominated in all 4 acting cats to lose in all of them were My Man Godfrey (also the only one not nominated for picture-and yes there were 10 noms even that year) and Sunset Blvd.

Futurist, I mentioned it earlier in this thread that the only 2 films that were nominated in all 4 acting cats to lose in all of them were My Man Godfrey (also the only one not nominated for picture-and yes there were 10 noms even that year) and Sunset Blvd.

Thx, read an article about it but forgot the titles of the movies with 4 acting nods that came home with ziltch.

• Like 1

http://variety.com/2014/film/awards/who-worked-the-room-who-laid-low-1201084956/

Variety breaks down how much each of the acting nominees campaigned this year:Active on the Circuit: Abdi, Adams, Dern, Ejiofor, Hill, Leto, McConnaughey, Nyong'o, SquibbLimited Appearances: Bale, Blanchett, Bullock, Cooper, DiCaprio, RobertsAlmost Invisible: Dench, Fassbender, Hawkins, Lawrence, StreepAlso, the casts that campaigned the most were 12YAS and August.

http://variety.com/2014/film/awards/who-worked-the-room-who-laid-low-1201084956/

Variety breaks down how much each of the acting nominees campaigned this year:Active on the Circuit: Abdi, Adams, Dern, Ejiofor, Hill, Leto, McConnaughey, Nyong'o, SquibbLimited Appearances: Bale, Blanchett, Bullock, Cooper, DiCaprio, RobertsAlmost Invisible: Dench, Fassbender, Hawkins, Lawrence, StreepAlso, the casts that campaigned the most were 12YAS and August.

That seems about right. Though Fassy's lack of campaigning is interesting. Dench doesn't campaign cus she's too old now and Hawkins cus that was a bit of a surprise and she knows that her nomination is her reward. JLaw cus she won last year already and Streep cus Streep doesn't campaign unless she really, really, really wants it. (See TIL where she even went to the AARP dinner). 

Finally saw Philomena. So now I've seen all the films nominated in the major categories. That means it's time to rank shit.

Picture:

1. Her

2. The Wolf of Wall Street

3. 12 Years A Slave

4. Captain Phillips

5. Gravity

6. Nebraska

7. American Hustle

8. Philomena

9. Dallas Buyers Club

Actress:

1. Cate Blanchett

2. Sandra Bullock

3. Amy Adams

4. Judi Dench

5. Meryl Streep

Actor:

1. Bruce Dern

2. Chiwetel Ejiofor

3. Leonardo DiCaprio

4. Matthew McConaughey

5. Christian Bale

Supp. Actress:

1. Lupita Nyong'o

2. Sally Hawkins

3. Julia Roberts

4. June Squibb

5. Jennifer Lawrence

Supp. Actor

1. Jonah Hill

2. Barkhad Abdi

3. Michael Fassbender

4. Jared Leto

5. Bradley Cooper

• Like 1

I've seen all 5 docs

1. Cutie and the Boxer A+

2. The Act of Killing A

3. 20 Feet From Stardom B

4. The Square B

5. Dirty Wars C

They could've easily replaced Dirty Wars by Blackfish, it's just another overproduced boring movie about american war on middle eastern countries.

I just saw that there are people now claiming the AMPAS disqualified Alone yet not alone for being a Christian song, and they are trying to rally a protest, it then got onto Fox for the same coverage.

Oh dear, this is going to get ugly and controversial fast.

I still have philomena and nebraska to watch among the best pic. But so far if I had to rank them :1/ 12YAS 2/ HER3/ WoWS4/capt phillips5/ gravity6/ dallas buyers club7/ american hustle (this will go down inevitably to last place unless the other two put me to sleep and I can't fight coz that's what happen with AH)On one hand I want ejiofor to win best actor but I'm not invested in the actor , but I'm fearing the worst that leo will turn into tom cruise and never win one even though you can't compare the two acting quality wise but in essence they both have tried so hard only to come up short ughh it would be a crime and yeah I know who killed leo's oscar isn't exactly a novelty , its happened to many a deserving actor before!

hmm so ranking (still havent seen Nebraska)

HER

Philomena

DBC WoWSgravity12YAS

AH

Cap

Actress

1. Cate Blanchett

2.  Judi Dench

3. Amy Adams

4. Sandra Bullock

5. Meryl Streep

Actor