Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

• Founder / Operator

It's definitely a subjective matter of personal taste, I guess. I just feel like we keep hearing various outlets talk about how great of a year it's been and how it competitive the race is because of it. But, even if it's just a contrarian opinion, I feel like it's competitive because it's weaker than recent years.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Is this where that "yeah okay" J-Law gif goes?

Some random IMDb user said he has a friend that Pricewaterhousecoopers LLC and told him that Philomena is getting the big prize.  I trust him because he is a stranger on the internet and is being 100% honest.

• Like 7

This is pretty funny.

http://happyplace.someecards.com/29604/jennifer-lawrence-should-win-every-single-oscar

Posted Image

This Sunday night marks the 86th annual Academy Awards, and we think every single one of them should go to Jennifer Lawrence. Here's how Ms. Lawrence has demonstrated excellence in all current merit-based categories and why she deserves to go home with a nice, tall stack of statuettes:

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Who Will Win: Lupita Nyong'o

Our Pick: Jennifer Lawrence

Lawrence's portrayal of a saucy Long Island housewife more than merits back-to-back Oscars. As Rosalyn Rosenfeld in American Hustle, Lawrence is charming yet unpredictable. Also, she totally pulls off that 70s hair.

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Who Will Win: Cate Blanchett

Although JLaw wasn't technically nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role, she completely deserves to win for her role as Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Sure, Blanchett's depiction of a fallen socialite on the verge of a mental breakdown was fine, but Katniss kicks ass with a bow and arrow and is a great role model for young women!

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Who Will Win: Matthew McConaughey

Jennifer Lawrence is twice the actor of any of the men nominated in this category! If you've ever seen her in any movie, you know she can act mad or seductive or tough or vulnerable as needed. She could probably lose all the weight Matthew McConaughey lost for Dallas Buyers Club, but she wouldn't because she cares too much about people's body image issues and also she loves pizza!

Best Original Screenplay

Who Will Win: Spike Jonze, Her

There's no doubt in our mind that the award for Best Original Screenplay should go to Jennifer Lawrence. Jennifer Lawrence feels like she could be your best friend. She's always down to earth and her responses in interviews never feel scripted or phony. She just says whatever is on her mind, and usually it's something funny and adorable about farting or sex toys.

Best Visual Effects

Who Will Win: Gravity

When it comes to visual effects, we love love love JLaw's haircut! Yes, we were sad to see her luscious brunette locks go, but now that we've gotten used to her blonde bob, we're totally into it. It's breezy and sporty, which totally fits her image, but still manages to look elegant, because, well, this is JLaw we're talking about!

Best Animated Short Film

Who Will Win: Get a Horse!

Is there really any question who deserves to win for Best Animated Short Film? From drop-dead gorgeous pale pink ballgowns to a simple t-shirt and jeans, Jennifer always looks fabulous. With her comfortable yet alluring fashions, she's a true style icon. She would be great as a Best Animated Short Film.

Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award

Who Will Win: [Not Being Awarded This Year]

This special category is the perfect way to give Jennifer Lawrence another opportunity to trip while going up the stairs to the podium, make a stammering acceptance speech, and smile so big we can see her dimples. We know she'd be so gracious and self-effacing if she won special recognition for "creative producers, whose bodies of work reflect a consistently high quality of motion picture production."

Best Picture

Who Will Win: 12 Years A Slave

It's the biggest award of the night, and therefore deserves to go to the night's biggest star: Jennifer Lawrence! We enjoyed all nine of the nominated films in this category, but more than any other feature, Jennifer Lawrence mesmerized, entertained, and delighted us. She deserves her place among such greats as Gone with the Wind, The Godfather, and Schindler's List.

God, we love her.

• Like 2

Some random IMDb user said he has a friend that Pricewaterhousecoopers LLC and told him that Philomena is getting the big prize.  I trust him because he is a stranger on the internet and is being 100% honest.

Well I'm sold
  • Like 1

This is pretty funny.

http://happyplace.someecards.com/29604/jennifer-lawrence-should-win-every-single-oscar

Posted Image

This Sunday night marks the 86th annual Academy Awards, and we think every single one of them should go to Jennifer Lawrence. Here's how Ms. Lawrence has demonstrated excellence in all current merit-based categories and why she deserves to go home with a nice, tall stack of statuettes:

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Who Will Win: Lupita Nyong'o

Lawrence's portrayal of a saucy Long Island housewife more than merits back-to-back Oscars. As Rosalyn Rosenfeld in American Hustle, Lawrence is charming yet unpredictable. Also, she totally pulls off that 70s hair.

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Who Will Win: Cate Blanchett

Although JLaw wasn't technically nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role, she completely deserves to win for her role as Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Sure, Blanchett's depiction of a fallen socialite on the verge of a mental breakdown was fine, but Katniss kicks ass with a bow and arrow and is a great role model for young women!

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Who Will Win: Matthew McConaughey

Jennifer Lawrence is twice the actor of any of the men nominated in this category! If you've ever seen her in any movie, you know she can act mad or seductive or tough or vulnerable as needed. She could probably lose all the weight Matthew McConaughey lost for Dallas Buyers Club, but she wouldn't because she cares too much about people's body image issues and also she loves pizza!

Best Original Screenplay

Who Will Win: Spike Jonze, Her

There's no doubt in our mind that the award for Best Original Screenplay should go to Jennifer Lawrence. Jennifer Lawrence feels like she could be your best friend. She's always down to earth and her responses in interviews never feel scripted or phony. She just says whatever is on her mind, and usually it's something funny and adorable about farting or sex toys.

Best Visual Effects

Who Will Win: Gravity

When it comes to visual effects, we love love love JLaw's haircut! Yes, we were sad to see her luscious brunette locks go, but now that we've gotten used to her blonde bob, we're totally into it. It's breezy and sporty, which totally fits her image, but still manages to look elegant, because, well, this is JLaw we're talking about!

Best Animated Short Film

Who Will Win: Get a Horse!

Is there really any question who deserves to win for Best Animated Short Film? From drop-dead gorgeous pale pink ballgowns to a simple t-shirt and jeans, Jennifer always looks fabulous. With her comfortable yet alluring fashions, she's a true style icon. She would be great as a Best Animated Short Film.

Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award

Who Will Win: [Not Being Awarded This Year]

This special category is the perfect way to give Jennifer Lawrence another opportunity to trip while going up the stairs to the podium, make a stammering acceptance speech, and smile so big we can see her dimples. We know she'd be so gracious and self-effacing if she won special recognition for "creative producers, whose bodies of work reflect a consistently high quality of motion picture production."

Best Picture

Who Will Win: 12 Years A Slave

It's the biggest award of the night, and therefore deserves to go to the night's biggest star: Jennifer Lawrence! We enjoyed all nine of the nominated films in this category, but more than any other feature, Jennifer Lawrence mesmerized, entertained, and delighted us. She deserves her place among such greats as Gone with the Wind, The Godfather, and Schindler's List.

God, we love her.

Well, now we know what Futurist does in his spare time.
  • Like 13

It's definitely a subjective matter of personal taste, I guess. I just feel like we keep hearing various outlets talk about how great of a year it's been and how it competitive the race is because of it. But, even if it's just a contrarian opinion, I feel like it's competitive because it's weaker than recent years.

I dunno. 2011 was by far the weakest year since I've followed the Oscars and that year was a lock all along for The Artist. Nothing else even stood a fraction of a chance of winning. So I don't think them being weak has to do with why it's a close race. It's a close race because the Academy is torn between awarding the "politically correct" film with top honors and the one that's the actual Best Picture. The fact that the former is an Oscar baiting true story drama and the latter is the much ignored Sci-fi genre certainly muddles things up as well.

• Like 1

I would not call this weak year. I guess you could call it an average year. Beyond Gravity and 12YAS, the other nominees don't do much for me. But, that's just me. However, I actually am in the camp that feel this is an above-average year for movie quality. I do feel 2010 was one of the best recent years.

Well yes, in comparison with 2010 almost any year seems weak, but I think it's a solid batch of nominees with only two pictures I didn't care for that much. But Captain Phillips, 12 Years a Slave and Gravity alojne are like some of my favorite movies ever.  

• Founder / Operator

I dunno. 2011 was by far the weakest year since I've followed the Oscars and that year was a lock all along for The Artist. Nothing else even stood a fraction of a chance of winning. So I don't think them being weak has to do with why it's a close race. It's a close race because the Academy is torn between awarding the "politically correct" film with top honors and the one that's the actual Best Picture. The fact that the former is an Oscar baiting true story drama and the latter is the much ignored Sci-fi genre certainly muddles things up as well.

I'm not saying it's "weak", per say; only relative to recent years. 2009, 2010, and 2012 were all stronger fields, IMO, but a lot of people make this year out to sound like it's a revolutionary crop of movies. 2011 is just the exception (which I'll certainly agree was "weaker" than this year's).

Anyway, like I said, it's pretty subjective. I just don't even think the online movie community is as hyped up for the nominees as pundits are... let alone regular moviegoers.

Edited by ShawnMR

Final (I think)

Best Supporting Actor - Jared Leto
Best Cinematography - Gravity
Best Visual Effects - Gravity
Best Costume Design - American Hustle
Best Makeup and Hairstyling - Dallas Buyers Club
Best Sound Mixing - Gravity
Best Sound Editing - Gravity
Best Supporting Actress - Lupita Nyong'o
Best Film Editing - Gravity
Best Production Design - 12 Years a Slave