Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Academy members voted for Oscar-winning 12 Years A Slave 'without watching it'

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/academy-members-voted-for-oscarwinning-12-years-a-slave-without-watching-it-9177352.html

FUCK YOU PC BULLSHIT :angry:  :angry:

Yep, white guilt is not science fiction like Gravity is.

• Like 1

I expect that many members did the same. Either to be PC or to award their friends.

I seriously doubt it. Reading through the article it said the two members who did so only didn't because they'd thought they'd find it upsetting to watch. I expect most other academy members had no such problems and are rather likely to have found time to have seen the apparent frontrunner. If there were other members who hadn't seen the film, yet still voted for it, I suspect they'd number in the single digits. And almost certainly not enough to swing the vote.

Also, I severely doubt many people voted for 12YAS for the sole reason of 'to be PC'. Maybe that may have played a subconscious factor but when you're giving an anonymous ballot, being PC for the sake of a near faceless organisation like the Academy is not that much of an incentive.

Also also, you can apply the 'to award their friends' excuse to pretty much every single nominated film.

• Like 1

I think I agree with rukaio. I wasn't keen on the whole vote for 12 years or you're racist arguments. But I doubt members voted just to be PC. I expect many watched it and were genuinely moved by it and recognised that it is a very well made film, worthy of winning on its wn merits without the politics. And I expect there were some members who liked it well enough but didn't love it but voted for it anyway because of the subject matter etc.I never really bought the whole ,'voters can't watch it because it's too brutal' line. I think that was pr nonsense either to stop it winning or conversely to help it win.It won either way!

According to that article only two Academy members did so.

If it turns out 12YAS only beat Gravity by one vote, then I shall share your outrage. Until then, I don't really care. It wouldn't have made any difference and 12YAS is far from an unworthy winner.

That's two who had the guts to go out and admit it.  You're right, it's a good film and it's not a terrible winner, but it looks horrible on the members of the academy.  The Oscars are a joke and this just proves that.  It's not really about what's really best but what is deemed to be apropos to vote for.  That kind of disgusts me.  And if you are going to award Gravity 7 or so Oscars, including best director, then having it lose best picture is just stupid, imo.

• Like 2

And if you are going to award Gravity 7 or so Oscars, including best director, then having it lose best picture is just stupid, imo.

I'll let The Godfather know it should hand its statues over to Cabaret, which beat it 8-3 including BD. Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4

I'll let The Godfather know it should hand its statues over to Cabaret, which beat it 8-3 including BD.

I wasn't aware of that.  Still, if you are going to give so many awards to one film, to not give it best picture seems silly to me.

That's two who had the guts to go out and admit it.  You're right, it's a good film and it's not a terrible winner, but it looks horrible on the members of the academy.  The Oscars are a joke and this just proves that.  It's not really about what's really best but what is deemed to be apropos to vote for.  That kind of disgusts me.  And if you are going to award Gravity 7 or so Oscars, including best director, then having it lose best picture is just stupid, imo.

But the Academy isn't a single collective entity... and as we well know at this point, people vote for all sorts of absurd reasons in each of the categories. So I don't think it's that surprising that the awards get spread around occasionally... especially for a movie like GRAVITY, where you might appreciate all the technical aspects but not think it's worthy of being the "best picture".

• Like 1

And what does make you assume all of them did watch Gravity as well?

I'm sure some voted for it sight unseen because it's popular and tried to be in phase with the zeitgeist. I mean you don't even need to watch the movie to know it's a technical achievement, everyone is screaming that claim on the roof and dozen of articles covered that subject matter for the last couple of months.

And what does make you assume all of them did watch Gravity as well?

I'm sure some voted for it sight unseen because it's popular and tried to be in phase with the zeitgeist. I mean you don't even need to watch the movie to know it's a technical achievement, everyone is screaming that claim on the roof and dozen of articles covered that subject matter for the last couple of months.

I'm sure they didn't all watch Gravity, which proves my point even further.  

• Like 2

I'm sure they didn't all watch Gravity, which proves my point even further.  

All campaigning Baumer buddy unfortunately.. This time oscars really ffed up royally. Gravity is all about brillant  shooting technique and using 3D well, but for it to win all those oscars.

I  mean best cinematography over  films   like the great Gasby, 12 yrs of the slave... Boy you could see some studios really paid their dividends lol...

There are so many forums upset over the bs with that one..

Gravity should have gotten perhaps 2 oscars, Best Sound....Still not even sure its incredible shooting deserves a clear best director nod..Either.

A real Travesty. .Im just glad the movie with most meaning for us all to look back at our history and make sure nothing like that ever happens again and for all the films of colour the Oscars cheated , that a film like 12 yrs of the slave finally won the best film nod :)

Sometimes it helps to remember that the Academy started because the studio execs wanted to mediate labor disputes and improve their overall image, and only later did they decide to start giving awards to each other. :)

^^ Amen Telemachos.. Alot of bs we are seeing at oscars. Shit Im still upset over Forrest Gump winning best picture and they not making it and TLK Tie.. They are both extraordinary films, but Gump wasnt a better film thank TLK  and vice versa.. Both were outstanding landmarks in filmmaking for different reasons..

I think oscars has always been unfair to animated greats. Only one that one, but also was a live action masterpiece was Mary Poppins. They  also cheated Beauty and the beast , when clearly there was no film better than that wonder for the year.

It still stands as the only golden globe winner and oscar nominated  for best film in history of the oscars. :D