Jack Nevada

2014 Academy Awards: The Official Thread (ALL NOMINEES IN THE FIRST POST)

Average gross of Best Picture winners in decade after LOTR (2004-present):

unadjusted: $92 million

Adjusted: $108 million

Highest Grossing Adjusted: The Departed - $168m

Lowest Grossing Adjusted: The Hurt Locker - $19m

Average gross of Best Picture winners in the decade leading up to LOTR (1994-2003):

Unadjusted: $213 million

Adjusted: $374 million

Highest Grossing Adjusted: Titanic - $1,093b

Lowest Grossing Adjusted: Braveheart - $144m

Gee I wonder why the Oscars have lost relevancy the past decade?

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Average gross of Best Picture winners in decade after LOTR (2004-present):

unadjusted: $92 million

Adjusted: $108 million

Highest Grossing Adjusted: The Departed - $168m

Lowest Grossing Adjusted: The Hurt Locker - $19m

Average gross of Best Picture winners in the decade leading up to LOTR (1994-2003):

Unadjusted: $213 million

Adjusted: $374 million

Highest Grossing Adjusted: Titanic - $1,093b

Lowest Grossing Adjusted: Braveheart - $144m

Gee I wonder why the Oscars have lost relevancy the past decade?

(Well the we've stopped making good GA films :ph34r:)

True to an extent. Although TDK, Inception, Avatar, and now Gravity all say hi.

TDK was not oscar worthy and neither was Avatar. Though I will give you that Inception and Gravity are exceptions to the rule. (Though they seem to have been made with the more arty aim in mind and blew-up on the GA market subsequently, so not really the same thing as TDK)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/oscar-voter-reveals-brutally-honest-682957

Oscar Voter Reveals Brutally Honest Ballot : his best quotes :

"And Before Midnight is a travesty of ineptitude and dreadful writing, like the other two in that horrible trilogy -- if I was sitting next to those people, I would run in the opposite direction.

"Meryl Streep gave "a bottom-drawer performance" in "August: Osage County.""

BEST ANIMATED FEATUREI have seen none of them. I have no interest whatsoever. That ended when I was 6. My son dragged me to a few when he was 6; I would seat him and go outside and make phone calls.MY PICK: I abstain.

I've actually occasionally fallen asleep in my own movies

Payne -- whatever.

And Cuaron was part of a committee of technicians who made that movie, and I have seen things at the planetarium that were at least as impressive.

I often choose personal friendship when I am torn between two almost equally good options, but in this case I'm friends with both David and Woody, so that doesn't help. …"

THis guy just keeps on giving and he s smitten with Jlaw & DOR !

Now that is one snarky bitch but who is he ?

An AD forum guess : Barry Levinson?Member of the Directors Branch. Only likes Cate in Blue Jasmine and…Bandits! Old enough to be friends with Bruce Dern. Old enough to be friends with Woody and still works regularly so could very well be friends with O.Russel. Could occasionally fall asleep to his own movies. CHECK!)

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

I have seen none of them. I have no interest whatsoever. That ended when I was 6. My son dragged me to a few when he was 6; I would seat him and go outside and make phone calls.

And this guy's seriously an academy voter? No wonder the Oscars don't get much respect nowadays.

• Like 5

Yep, this is the academy that nominates The Artist for best original screenplay.  This is the academy that gives best picture winners to films like Shakespeare in Love and Chicago and nominates films like The Reader instead of TDK.  The academy, the oscars, they mean nothing.  They're dime store comic book jokes, complete with little pieces of Bazooka bubble gum.  

• Like 1