CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Did you know that the director of this movie actually directed music videos? Maybe that explains why there's such a use of pop songs.

And we don't know if that song in the trailer is actually in the movie. Pitpull's "Fireball" wasn't actually in Shaun the Sheep or Zootopia, for example.

Being directors of music videos didn't make David Fincher and Spike Jonze jampack their movies with top 40 hits. And what do you mean "we don't know," the entire premise of the movie is that they're singing pop songs!!

Just now, Blankments said:

Being directors of music videos didn't make David Fincher and Spike Jonze jampack their movies with top 40 hits. And what do you mean "we don't know," the entire premise of the movie is that they're singing pop songs!!

We don't know if it's going to be a different pop song.

Ever heard of a jukebox musical, btw?

24 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Didnt see that as a joke either, but hey its Illumination ergo it's the devil.

I didn't know mods were allowed to have members on ignore because literally every complaint I've posted here I would've complained about if this movie had a DreamWorks, Warner Bros., Blue Sky, or Laika sticker on it. 

The problem with that scene is that it lacks context. It's expecting us to be charmed by the sheer image of a pig dancing in a grocery store. 

Kind of the same problem the rest of the marketing has, really. I mean, maybe it appeals to kids but personally I don't find "Animal Idol" to be an inherently interesting premise, and the personalities of the characters seem just as manufactured as any early stage contestant on that show. Still curious to see how Tiff reacts, though 

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

The problem with that scene is that it lacks context. It's expecting us to be charmed by the sheer image of a pig dancing in a grocery store.

Kind of the same problem the rest of the marketing has, really. I mean, maybe it appeals to kids but personally I don't find "Animal Idol" to be an inherently interesting premise, and the personalities of the characters seem just as manufactured as any early stage contestant on that show. Still curious to see how Tiff reacts, though 

Are you kidding?

Of course it lacks context! It's a fucking trailer!

This movie is totally gonna join the 300m+ club of 2016, isn't it? I can already see it being so just from the hype. Animation on a roll.

On a somehow related note, we won't be getting any 200-300m movies this year by my estimation. If that truly happens I will be expecting a lot of hot takes from the press.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

I dunno about lacking context though. The trailers show her as an over worked housewife whose husband doesn't pay her any attention. That is her breaking out and doing something creative, and applauded for it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arlborn said:

This movie is totally gonna join the 300m+ club of 2016, isn't it? I can already see it being so just from the hype. Animation on a roll.

On a somehow related note, we won't be getting any 200-300m movies this year by my estimation. If that truly happens I will be expecting a lot of hot takes from the press.

Passengers has a shot, me thinks.

7 hours ago, Arlborn said:

IMO the only films that could make 200-300M this year are Moana, Passengers, Mag 7, Fantastic Beasts, and Doctor Strange.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, YourMother said:

IMO the only films that could make 200-300M this year are Moana, Passengers, Mag 7, Fantastic Beasts, and Doctor Strange.

Sing is definitely a candidate for that range, in my opinion. Moreso than Moana, which I see easily breaking $300m.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Sing is definitely a candidate for that range, in my opinion. Moreso than Moana, which I see easily breaking $300m.

I see Sing doing over $300m which would be more than Moana, which I see doing anywhere from BH6 numbers to Incredibles numbers to Up numbers, with a small chance for $300M.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I think FB has a strong shot. A not that big % of Potter fans (looking at # admissions of last 5 potter films as they were close; hp4 to hp8) need to show up to push this above 200.

As much as I root for 300 I feel ~250 is more likely with 200+ very likely.

13 minutes ago, a2knet said:

I think FB has a strong shot. A not that big % of Potter fans (looking at # admissions of last 5 potter films as they were close; hp4 to hp8) need to show up to push this above 200.

As much as I root for 300 I feel ~250 is more likely with 200+ very likely.

I don't know, I feel like most Potter fans will show up plus some new younger fans and even some other people curious about this, specially if reviews and WOM are good. Then when you consider inflation I think 300m+ is more likely for that than under 300m.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2016 at 5:38 PM, cannastop said:

We don't know if it's going to be a different pop song.

Ever heard of a jukebox musical, btw?

Of course I've heard of a jukebox musical, I'm not a moron.

Jukebox musicals rarely if ever work in film, and the only I think work even theatrically are ones like Jersey Boys where it's all from one band.