CJohn

Sing | Dec. 21, 2016 | Illumination | Beats Moana domestic. The McConaissance Continues

Every animated film has to be high caliber features that are deep meaningful pieces of art that teach our kids about the world. We can't have them enjoy mindless fluff, they have to wait till their 13 to watch marvel movies.

Edited by RandomJC
Posting on mobile sucks
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Christmas Baumer said:

Terrible movies according to whom? You? If the kids love them and that's who they are marketing them to then aren't they doing their job?

My niece is absolutely adored secret life of pets. I didn't like it that much and my brother liked it I loved it more than I did. But the kids loved it which means we bought it for them on Blu-ray for Christmas and they saw it twice at the theaters. So illumination is doing something right.

that's precisely what's killing mainstream movies, setting the bar for success as low as pleasing the target demo.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, RandomJC said:

Every animated film has to be high caliber features that are deep meaningful pieces of art that teach our kids about the world. 

you can have both, like Pixar and other studios have proved in the past.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

that's precisely what's killing mainstream movies, setting the bar for success as low as pleasing the target demo.

That's not killing movies at all.  Not every film has to be made for adults.  Your line of thinking is what's wrong with some of the posters at this place.  There are movies that just need to be made for a certain demographic.  They don't need to pander to adults all the time.  Kind of presumptuous and pretentious on your part.

• Like 6

Just now, Christmas Baumer said:

That's not killing movies at all.  Not every film has to be made for adults.  Your line of thinking is what's wrong with some of the posters at this place.  There are movies that just need to be made for a certain demographic.  They don't need to pander to adults all the time.  Kind presumptuous and pretentious on your part.

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

you can have both, like Pixar and other studios have proved in the past.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goffe said:

In fact, it encourages Disney to make lazier movies.

That......has not even remotely been the case? 

Also, lol Baumer, you are facing a mighty contradictions on the board. If we blindly follow Rotten Tomatoes, how do we hate Illumination?

v1.bTsxMTUxMDc2OTtqOzE3Mjc4OzEyMDA7NDgwO

TOMATOMETER 

74%

AUDIENCE SCORE 

v1.bTsxMTE3MjE3NDtqOzE3Mjk4OzIwNDg7Mjg0O
Despicable Me 2 (2013)
 73%

85%
Critics Consensus: Despicable Me 2 offers plenty of eye-popping visual inventiveness and a number of big laughs.More
Starring: Steve Carell, Kristen Wiig, Benjamin Bratt
Director: Pierre Coffin, Chris Renaud
v1.bTsxMTE2ODg2NDtqOzE3MzE4OzIwNDg7ODAwO
Despicable Me (2010)
 81%

82%
Critics Consensus: Borrowing heavily (and intelligently) from Pixar and Looney Tunes, Despicable Meis a surprisingly thoughtful, family-friendly treat with a few surprises of its own.More
Starring: Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Russell Brand
Director: Pierre Coffin, Chris Renaud
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

Then why are you complaining about Illumination if we can have both deep films and mindless fluff?

I meant you can have both in one movie, we don't have to satisfied with them being either this or that.

Edited by Goffe

13 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Because other movies proved that you can be more than that. That's what's wrong with being "mindless fluff". 

What if the creators don't want to make something more than that? What's wrong with just wanting to make something that's entertaining and enjoyable?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Because other movies proved that you can be more than that. That's what's wrong with being "mindless fluff". 

Excuse me here......but aren't you the who strongly disliked most of the animated films this year? Zootopia, Kung Fu Panda 3, The Secret Life of Pets, Finding Dory......and let me guess?......Storks, Trolls & Moana will be in your "Goffe's disliked animated films of 2016"-list, right? Although most of them had very good reception?

And Baumer has a point. Not every animated film has to be for adults only and only give what only you want to see. But since you're not a kid anymore....you easily find these films unappealingly lame to you, hell....even bad even.

Goffe, everybody. ? The same guy who thought Hotel Transylvania 2 would drop DOM-wise of it's predecessor.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

I really dislike Illumination but it isn't worth it to make a stand that they are everything wrong with cinema today. People seem to like their movies, and they do decently well with critics also. It's a clear step below Disney/Pixar IMO, but it's not like the films are completely worthless.

• Like 2

Just now, Jayhawk said:

I really dislike Illumination but it isn't worth it to make a stand that they are everything wrong with cinema today. People seem to like their movies, and they do decently well with critics also. It's a clear step below Disney/Pixar IMO, but it's not like the films are completely worthless.

No, they are :lol: 

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

No, they are :lol: 

If people can get entertainment out of it, even if it's mindless, it's not worthless. Like I really enjoyed Pacific Rim, I can't complain about mindless entertainment (among many, many other films). I'm not rooting for Sing to make a ton of $, but if it does, I'll move on. There's too much great cinema out there to sweat over Illumination's success. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Competition is fine, but only when the competition actually makes good movies. Illumination's movies are insultingly bad. The "it's for kids!" mentality is such bullshit.

Your way of thinking is pretty stinky as well. 

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I want family movies that both kids and adults can enjoy. What a terrible thing!

My family enjoyed Pets. So the fact that you can't enjoy it only means you are a pretentious fuck.:P

On a side note, I love you new avi:rofl:

• Like 3