46 members have voted

1. 1. Transformers

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Watched it with commentary, here are some of the interesting things I learned:Bay has full co-operation with the military because they like how he makes them look in his films.Bay has the phone number to the Pentagon and when he needs military help, he calls them.Spielberg called Bay personally and wanted him to direct the film.When Spielberg and Bay were watching a rough cut of the film in Bay's house, Spielberg would high five him when he liked certain scenesMegan Fox first met Bay when she auditioned for Amityville Horror, he always liked her (obviously she's hot) and kept her in mind for future projectsShia had that nervous energy during his reading and Bay liked him enough that he asked Spielberg about him. Spielberg had cast Shia in Distrubia and approved.Jon Turturro told Bay that he was modeling his character after Bay, he told Bay that is how he comes across to his actors. Bay thought it was kind of funny.The Hoover Dam really is 7 football fields thick in concrete.Bay got death threats for things as small as putting fire stripes on one of the TransformersHe was allowed to film at the Hoover Dam.Hans Zimmer did a little work on the film with JablonskyBay feels that 50% of the movie is musicThere's a homeless guy named Ron, who appears in the movie. Bay says he knows everything there is to know about movies and the business and he just loves movies. Bay offered him money to be in Transformers, and he refused the money. He hitched his way to Detroit to be there for the shoot. Bay then put him up in a hotel and has promised him a role in every film Bay makes. Bay didn't say if he would accept payment or not.Hugo Weaving recorded all his lines from New ZealandBay sounds giddy when he talks about being able to cast Jon VoightHe was also very happy to get Duhamel and GibsonBay keeps track of the box office of his films. When he recorded the commentary for the film, it was at 250 mill and he knew it would hit 300. He also said they would do "around 350 internationally". He states proudly that he was close to Spider-man 3 and POTC3Bay likes to use real stunts as much as possible. He tries to avoid blue or green screen as much as possible.The scene where Shia is hanging onto the building near the end, with the Allspark, it's really him hanging off the building. It's not green screen. He was secured with wires. But that is really him clinging to the building 500 feet up in the air.During the scene where they put a phone in Transformers testing box, Bay wanted to use an I-phone, Jobs wouldn't allow it, so they used a Nokia.In both the adult and kids screening, they got a 94% approval rating.Bay says that studios will decide how much they will spend on marketing AFTER they screen it for an audience.Bay put his entire fee on the line to guarantee that Transformers would make money. So he did not get paid a salary for the film and he took a back end cut, which obviously paid off handsomely for him.He had not signed on to do Transformers 2 yet, as of this recording.Not from the commentary, but doing my own research, Transformers is the 12th biggest grossing original (meaning non sequel) film domestically.WW, it is 16th.

Bay makes some of the best commentaries. Have you listened to the Bad Boys commentary? It's amazing in its honesty about the hardships of making a film Edited by John Marston

Never listened to Bad Boys commentary but I did listen to commentary on Armageddon.  Really good stuff.

also Ben Affleck on that commentary is great as well. The on The Rock with Bay, Cage and Ed Harris is fascinating as well. Both Cage and Harris especially are amazing to listen to

Edited by John Marston

The one for Armageddon was the Criterion collection.  I find Bay refreshingly honest.  He comes off as a debutante at times, but it has more to do with his passion for directing.  An example is that he ran a police barricade or some kind of block off during filming of transformers because he needed one final shot and the sun was setting.  His producer almost went to jail because of it and he had to grease some palms to ameliorate the situation.  He says that he would do it again if it meant getting the shot he needs.  That's passion.

• Like 3

Best of the series. Loved it. 2 and 3 went down hill with the obvious gaping plot holes that i just couldn't shrug off. But enjoyed the action in all three. 

My favorite Bay movies:

The Rock

Armageddon

Transformers

Critics and online forums always talk shit about him but i think he is a great director.

• Like 5

There is like a urban legend that during the infamous Car scene in TF1, that Micheal Bay told Megan Fox to tilt her body in certain ways for best effect.

Lol anyone who remembers the summer of 2007, knows this scene drove males insane.

Posted Image

• Like 2

I love this so much. It is probably a crime to love a movie like this so much like I do. Why are the sequels so inferior to this?

Stratches my head  toooo on  that one.  Transformers is one of the best pop corn experiences

of all time. Certainly in the top 5 based off a toon. I guess it had to do with pacing and writing my friend.

I still think James Cameron's input and the whole look of Part3 was really good.. I think loads better

than many big franchises 3rd acts.. Made up for Part 2 and its meiodcriety(THough the Prime fight against

all the those robots is legendary-some of the best CGI work on screen in that sequence)

Lets see if Part 4 can bring an experience thats even closer to the original. Still dont know how anyone

could hate Transformers I. lol

There is like a urban legend that during the infamous Car scene in TF1, that Micheal Bay told Megan Fox to tilt her body in certain ways for best effect.

Lol anyone who remembers the summer of 2007, knows this scene drove males insane.

Posted Image

Lol Vegita...Im drooling even now..Mwhahahha :DDD Yummy!

I think this is probably Bay's best film. Its a lot of high energy fun and spectacle, and I think this one shared the human cast and the Transformers evenly well in the film. It has a lot of rewatch value, and it looks freaking amazing on Blu Ray. This movie OWNED summer 2007.4.5/5

Edited by Mango