ecstasy

WKD 3 Day Est. RA 41.2m, LS 23.2m, NJ 20.5, JR 17.2, FRZ 11.9

AUJ run is really one of biggest letdown of 2013.

Nah. AUJ had the curiosity of some general audience that liked the trilogy 10 years ago and gave it a chance. On the other side, DOS doesnt have that advantage as WOM for the first one was pretty mixed. DOS was always destinated to gross less than AUJ. This year the competition has been heavier too. There and Back Again will outgross DOS with Night at the Museum 3 as the only competition. And there's nothing wrong with a 900m WW earner, no matter how you spin it.

DoS. more than 100m drop from AUJ. Ouch.

AUJ made 1.017b...DoS is on track to make more than 917m

It's on 810 ww right now.

Add about 12m more domestic - 822m

Had a 22m international weekend. so about 40m more in current territories(all except China and Japan) - 862m

AUJ made 70m in China + Japan. If DoS makes even 55m, it will get 917m.

Edited by a2knet

Financially speaking, it was still good move for WB to split Hobbit to 3 movies. Sure far from the success of LOTR but money is still good enough

3 movies was a good move financially, and could have been a good move cinematically too. Should have trimmed the fat and made them 2 hours long.

• Like 1

Financially speaking, it was still good move for WB to split Hobbit to 3 movies. Sure far from the success of LOTR but money is still good enough

I dunno. I feel like they damaged the LOTR brand by being so greedy. :ph34r:

Edited by Mojoguy

I dunno. I feel like they damaged the LOTR brand by being so greedy. :ph34r:

Damaged in what way?

It's not like they're going to release any other films. What else is there to hurt? An extremely unlikely remake? A 3D re-release?

Damaged in what way?

It's not like they're going to release any other films. What else is there to hurt? An extremely unlikely remake? A 3D re-release?

I just feel Warners is hoping to buy the rights to the The Silmarillion and making endless spinoff movies. :ph34r:

PJ wants to make The Silmarillion. Assuming he/they have the rights to do so, it being green lit, the production budget and it's bo directly depends on how much goodwill the Hobbit movies have earned/lost. No person/studio gets away with anything. Usually it comes back to bite you or your cast and crew.