ecstasy

WKD 3 Day Est. RA 41.2m, LS 23.2m, NJ 20.5, JR 17.2, FRZ 11.9

My nephew is very excited about the Lego movie... Maybe the parents will drop the kids off at Lego while they watch frozen. ;) haha. I can't imagine the Lego movie having the same adult + kid appeal that Frozen has. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Frozen finally having competition in it's.. 10th, 11th week? I think by that point in a movies run the effects of competing movies aren't as big of a deal... Because by the 10th week the audience is a lot of repeat business and those who finally are willing to go because it's in the cheap theater. But I'm no expert.

Are you kidding? Lego has amazing nostalgia appeal.

I want to see the film just to see 1980s Spaceman-with-a-broken-helmet.

• Like 1

My nephew is very excited about the Lego movie... Maybe the parents will drop the kids off at Lego while they watch frozen. ;) haha. I can't imagine the Lego movie having the same adult + kid appeal that Frozen has. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Frozen finally having competition in it's.. 10th, 11th week? I think by that point in a movies run the effects of competing movies aren't as big of a deal... Because by the 10th week the audience is a lot of repeat business and those who finally are willing to go because it's in the cheap theater. But I'm no expert.

Lego will be big, with a big opening weekend, but won't come close to Frozen numbers.

The big difference is that Lego looks totally geared to young children, which is fine, and parents will take them to see it, but I doubt those parents will be interested in seeing it more than once, and thy are the ones buying the tickets, so I doubt "multiple viewings ,which have helped Frozen enormously, will be as much of a factor. Also, I don't see Lego crossing over into other demographics the way Frozen did, how many middle aged couples without kids or seniors will go to Lego?

I think a really solid run for Lego would be 150-180.

• Like 2

About Llewyn Davis: was the song Please Mr. Kennedy supposed to be really bad or something? Cause I loved it.

It was supposed to be a hit and he didn't sign for royalties on it, so it implies his carelessness and not thinking ahead stopped him from making his situation better.Ugh, I'm still upset Llewyn Davis is getting so many snubs by the guilds and academy, it's such a great movie. (It is just out of the ordinary, it doesn't follow a typical film structure which is what makes it so good. It emulates actual life and has a lot to say about how prosperity isn't achievable and is just a long, random road leading to nowhere)Honestly, people say Llewyn Davis doesn't have much to say, but it has more to say about the American Situation and poverty today than any of the films it have seen have to say their themes. (Wolf and Fruitvale Station were the only two other films I thought really captured the depth of their themes represented this year without being overly obvious and in your face)

I've got the current 3-day at 14.0M, 4-day at 19.9M and then next weekend at 11.0M (-21.4%).  

Those holds would be epic for Frozen. These numbers alone gets Frozen to 351M, with your scenario 400M becomes a distinct possibility. 

I told you guys RA would smash! Its OD is higher than Paul Blart, The Heat, 21JS, and IT. Like Ive said a million times, you cant assume a movie will do poor just because it looks bad to You. Its obvious Kevin Hart and Ice Cube still have appeal, to many races not just blacks, you saw how Harts concert movie performed last summer, and Universal was great with the marketing. And their chemistry was great. Dont knock it till you see it. RA really is the funniest movie since TITE and if you laughed at that youll laugh at this. Yes the movie isnt the best made movie ever, but who expected that? And who expected the reviews to hurt a movie like this? You have to go by audience reaction, social media, and close friends, and all scored high. Hell, I enjoyed RA more than AH. Hustle obviously is the better made movie, but RA provides x100 times more entertainment. Whether you think its bad or not, it deserves this success and so does Universal. First $100M movie of 2014, turn up. This is what you call "riotously funny" RT, not AH.

Edited by Jandrew

So, Wolf is really good, but I wouldn't call it amazing. B+ from me. Still think Gravity and Prisoners were better movies.

I rented a few movies from Redbox today. Mud, Wolverine, Prisoners and the Heat.Watching Mud right now, I'm really liking it

Llewyn Davis is a good movie, but it's The Coens playing it safe. It's positively flat compared to A Serious Man.

I disagree... it's in a similar vein but it's focusing on very different things. LLEWYN is about the struggle of creative success (or not),  A SERIOUS MAN is more about the dark humor in surviving the bleakness of life.

• Like 1

I disagree... it's in a similar vein but it's focusing on very different things. LLEWYN is about the struggle of creative success (or not),  A SERIOUS MAN is more about the dark humor in surviving the bleakness of life.

I don't feel like they were as passionate about Llewyn Davis as they were about A Serious Man. Llewyn Davis feels like something that precedes another masterpiece.