grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

you're right, her haircut has also convinced me this movie won't suck.

Meh, don't take me too literally. It's only a first picture, but it shows that 'look we're making this right, our first thing is good looking, faithfull to source material wig!'. Which is good. And gives me a right to believe that it might not suck, that they do care about this movie.

Edited by Charism

My god it looks just like Makoto!!! Thats awesome.

I am still watching the second season of the Ghost In The Shell TV series so this picture actually gets me really pumped for the movie.

I hope that instead of remaking the original, it takes one of the Stand Alone Complex storylines since those are kinda more interesting to adapt to live action.

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

She can pick any synthetic body she wants.

She can pick a synthetic body that looks like Barack Obama if she wanted to.

"She" is a fictional character and can't pick anything. What she does and how she looks is entirely at the whim of the creators. And they've chosen terribly.

The whitewashed casting (which apparently is the case for every major character except Aramaki) is racist as fuck. No in-story or real world explanation for it can avoid that.

I'm not really fond of this notion that anime adaptations has to be Asian.  I don't really buy into it being racist at all.  This isn't Akira or Wind Rises where Japan setting is central to the story.  We're just saying these stories have no universality to them if that's your perspective, and I don't agree.

Granted, if they set it in Japan and keep Japanese names...ok, yeah, you might have a point.  But otherwise...I just don't really agree.  Really you're just saying this movie shouldn't exist, cause nobody is making this otherwise without a ScarJo caliber star.  And there's not many like her.

Hollywood has a diversity issue.  Im not on board this film is that.  It's cast is actually quite diverse.  I don't expect Hollywood to make Japanese movies.

Now...the director...that's an issue.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kowhite said:

I'm not really fond of this notion that anime adaptations has to be Asian.  I don't really buy into it being racist at all.  This isn't Akira or Wind Rises where Japan setting is central to the story.  We're just saying these stories have no universality to them if that's your perspective, and I don't agree.

Granted, if they set it in Japan and keep Japanese names...ok, yeah, you might have a point.  But otherwise...I just don't really agree.  Really you're just saying this movie shouldn't exist, cause nobody is making this otherwise without a ScarJo caliber star.  And there's not many like her.

Hollywood has a diversity issue.  Im not on board this film is that.  It's cast is actually quite diverse.  I don't expect Hollywood to make Japanese movies.

Except, uh, the Japan setting IS central to the story. Much as Akira is a commentary on the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, GitS is commentary on Japan's post-WW2 militarization with non-military forces (and maybe something about the bubble economy. I don't know). If they want to keep that context, then it has to be set in Japan. And in that case, the cast should be Japanese.

If they aren't keeping the setting, then it's nothing more than the attempts to make Akira set in New York. With the cultural context removed, it isn't the same story, and the only reason to keep the name is to cash in on some mild nostalgic popularity.

Sure, you might be right that the film wouldn't be made without a star of ScarJo's caliber. And the only stars of such size are all white because Hollywood tends to be pretty damn racist (not aggressively so, but passively.) The solution to such an issue isn't to push forward, doubling down on the racism, and make the movie just because it's the only way.

The solution is to not make the movie at all.

It's not like they need to adapt something for a ScarJo starring action vehicle to succeed. Lucy showed they could be completely original and it's cool.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

"She" is a fictional character and can't pick anything. What she does and how she looks is entirely at the whim of the creators. And they've chosen terribly.

The whitewashed casting (which apparently is the case for every major character except Aramaki) is racist as fuck. No in-story or real world explanation for it can avoid that.

No, the character can literally switch bodies anytime she wants.

She switches bodies just as easily as you change clothing.

Just now, kowhite said:

It may be based on Japanese anime but looking at the characters you see the major characters looking more western than Asian.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Klingo said:

It may be based on Japanese anime but looking at the characters you see the major characters looking more western than Asian.

I don't even really think that matters.  They're adapting stories.  Not their creators.

Theres a definite argument for representation that exists, but I'm not buying into this complaint as presented.  The want I get but calling it racist?  I'm calling bullshit.

And yes, I'm Asian American.

6 minutes ago, Klingo said:

Yeah, with names like Kusanagi, Aramaki, Saito, Togusa, and Ishikawa, it's readily clear that they're not Japanese.