grey ghost

Ghost in the Shell | March 31, 2017 | Scarlett Johansson | Paramount | New Trailer on page 43!!!

23 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Lol, no way my man. The internet is entirely physical. Welcome to the real world.

A Bit is simply a transistor (physical object) which is either on or off (0 or 1). Information is stored as Bits, 8 bits make a byte, 1024 bytes make a mega byte.

The internet is a collection of core routers, fiber, fiber runs, conduit, trenches, poles, pipes, right-of-way, data centers, offices, DWDM gear, coax cable.. ETC. 

It's all physical baby.

What physical structure does the internet have? You cited coax cables...just how?

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I always means only one thing. No need to read into it anything. I don't know why drew doesn't say it point blank. Turds don't get screened. 

There is some rare exception of real wanting minimal spoiler's combined with not needing them, like when there was talk of no Force Awaken preview screening for critics, but that make little sense for an adaptation that already had a premiere in Tokyo.

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

There is some rare exception of real wanting minimal spoiler's combined with not needing them, like when there was talk of no Force Awaken preview screening for critics, but that make little sense for an adaptation that already had a premiere in Tokyo.

Exactly. Ghost in the Shell is not TFA and they already put the whole plot in the trailer. "they didn't save your life! They stole it!" 

What a strange digression. "The internet" is both physical and non-physical. Information is stored on servers around the world and sent via massive cables (and not-so-massive cables) along with satellites. However, there's certainly another reality contained by the sum of that information that isn't physical at all. 

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

What a strange digression. "The internet" is both physical and non-physical. Information is stored on servers around the world and sent via massive cables (and not-so-massive cables) along with satellites. However, there's certainly another reality contained by the sum of that information that isn't physical at all. 

This. There are certainly tools that operate as conduits for the transmission of data and information, but GitS goes beyond that in discussing the digital space conscienceness can occupy 

41 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

Does anyone even understand what this means... you're going to have to explain what that even means.

Edited by IronJimbo

A think it is a bit, is a song physical ?

Yes, it is stored or played with physical instrument, sound wave move air, brain wave have physical nature, etc... but that make the word non-physical have little meaning if a song is a 100% physical element.

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Tele have you lost your mind, could you give a single example of something 'non-physical'? Following this argument is cracking me up. 

It's funny, I would've assumed people would take that as a given. It's true both in a metaphorical sense and a literal one. Metaphorically, here you and I "are", in a "forum" that's essentially a "place" to hang out and "talk". Neither you nor I are here physically, we're represented by our avatars of JamesCameronScholar and Telemachos, and they are abstract representations of ourselves (as accurate or inaccurate as we choose to make them). There's nothing physical about BOT except the literal framework of servers and cables that store and enable communication, and even they can't really be said to represent BOT because they don't -- they're a vague structure upon which BOT is built. 

This non-physicality gets a little more literal when we're talking about stuff like Second Life or MMORGs, where people spend a great deal of time and even money to create virtual identities that exist within a space of information. Yet the "reality" within that space is real to all involved. Add in some VR and we're not that far off from some of the concepts explored by the early cyberpunk movement. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

It's funny, I would've assumed people would take that as a given. It's true both in a metaphorical sense and a literal one. Metaphorically, here you and I "are", in a "forum" that's essentially a "place" to hang out and "talk". Neither you nor I are here physically, we're represented by our avatars of JamesCameronScholar and Telemachos, and they are abstract representations of ourselves (as accurate or inaccurate as we choose to make them). There's nothing physical about BOT except the literal framework of servers and cables that store and enable communication, and even they can't really be said to represent BOT because they don't -- they're a vague structure upon which BOT is built. 

This non-physicality gets a little more literal when we're talking about stuff like Second Life or MMORGs, where people spend a great deal of time and even money to create virtual identities that exist within a space of information. Yet the "reality" within that space is real to all involved. Add in some VR and we're not that far off from some of the concepts explored by the early cyberpunk movement. 

Wait, can I get clarification. You think 'information' e.g. a VR world isn't 'physical'? That's patently false. Information contained on say BOT is merely electrons or photons in certain configurations, both of which are totally physical mechanisms. 

I think the problem here is that we seem to have people who have fallen into a big category mistake. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Wait, can I get clarification. You think 'information' e.g. a VR world isn't 'physical'? That's patently false. Information contained on say BOT is merely electrons or photons in certain configurations, both of which are totally physical mechanisms. 

I think the problem here is that we seem to have people who have fallen into a big category mistake. 

There are items that are physical (even if only at an atomic or subatomic level) and yes, our interactions with them, at this base fundamental level, is physical. However, the meaning we assign them and how we choose to interact based on that isn't. A community (whether our forum here or something else) is a combination of both. 

• Like 4