Olive

Guardians of the Galaxy OS Thread($768M WW Total )

Removing Japan from the equation, holdovers did 7.2m weekend this weekend, and will add another 15-20m from here on.Japanese opening was decent and I expect solid legs for 15m finish.Only markets remaining are Italy and China. Italy should do around 10m. Predicting a gross for China is difficult. But I think 60m shouldn't be a problem. So OS gross will almost surely cross 400m.I think 425m OS and 750m WW is achievable.

• Like 7

Removing Japan from the equation, holdovers did 7.2m weekend this weekend, and will add another 15-20m from here on.Japanese opening was decent and I expect solid legs for 15m finish.Only markets remaining are Italy and China.Italy should do around 10m.Predicting a gross for China is difficult. But I think 60m shouldn't be a problem. So OS gross will almost surely cross 400m.I think 425m OS and 750m WW is achievable.

I just read in the Japan thread that even making 10M will be difficult since SH movies tend to be very front loaded. But yeah, 400M will happen. 

I just read in the Japan thread that even making 10M will be difficult since SH movies tend to be very front loaded. But yeah, 400M will happen.

But it's not a typical SH movie in that sense and has shown solid legs in every market. It will have 3.5x multiplier in NA; and a 3x multiplier in Russia, which is very rare!
  • Like 2

$450M ONA is pretty much the ceiling for its potential, but I think it will at least pass Maleficent WW.

By the way, the sub-40% drop among holdovers is encouraging. Let's hope the pattern continues.

UPDATE: The weekend tally is $10.5M, including $2.3M from Japan. Holdover markets made $8.2M, down only 29% from last weekend's $11.5M. Go Gaurdians!

http://deadline.com/2014/09/box-office-lucy-russia-record-guardians-of-the-galaxy-crosses-600-million-worldwide-sex-tape-834320/

Edited by Quigley

Spain is not a big reference, but Guardians is already the biggest SH film of the year:

According BOM:

Guardians of the Galaxy: 9,298,115 $

X-Men: 9,233,001

TASM 2: 8,835,032

Captain America 2: 7,763,694

Guardians of the Galaxy could reach 10 million. I know that these are not big numbers, but the ranking is clear. Glad to see this.

• Like 7

Spain is not a big reference, but Guardians is already the biggest SH film of the year:

According BOM:

Guardians of the Galaxy could reach 10 million. I know that these are not big numbers, but the ranking is clear. Glad to see this.

Israel is an even smaller market, but it's the same here.

• Like 2

According BOM:

Israel is an even smaller market, but it's the same here.

Also in Australia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, all over Scandinavia (Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden), Germany (and it is still doing good numbers there), Hungary, Iceland, Lithuania, New Zealand, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia and Montenegro, Ukraine, and soon in the Netherlands and the UK, and maybe also in Venezuela. ;) 

• Like 1

Taking Italy and China out of the equation this is the SH Chart for 2014:

X-Men:DoFP TASM 2 CA: TWS GotG Year 2014 2014 2014 2014 Asia 121.3 160.8 112.9 60.2 Africa 4.7 5.7 4.4 2.6 Latin America 88.1 83.5 86.2 66.0 Europe 147.2 129.8 103.2 151.0 Oceania 25.4 18.3 22.2 25.7 Total OS 386.6 398.0 329.0 305.6 DOM 233.8 202.9 259.8 306.6 Worldwide 620.4 600.9 588.8 612.2

Take in account that those numbers are final for TWS, TASM2 and DoFP, but GotG is still doing good in some European countries and it just started in Japan.

GotG did less than other SH movies in LA and Asia but it's already the king in Europe and Oceania. Let's see how it does in China and Italy.

There are nunbers for Africa???? Or is it just South Africa?

And GOTG's run is not over in Venezuela yet :)

Not really. It's going to beat both Thor:TDW, CA:TWS and DOFP, pretty good result in a market not good for SH movies.

GOTG doesn't look like a SH movie, so I expected it to make a difference, and given the size of this market it's still disappointing even compared to Thor & Cap! I expected at least $20m...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: $318.6M Overseas Total / $632.3M Global Total <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GuardiansOfTheGalaxy?src=hash">#GuardiansOfTheGalaxy</a></p>&mdash; BoxOffice (@BoxOffice) <a href="

21, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>