Shawn Robbins

Weekend Estimates: The Lego Movie - 31.5M | 3 Days to Kill - 12.3M | Pompeii - 10M

Ohhh...was expecting at least 8mil..okie..Am thinking 30-33mill.....not bad!But son of god and non-stop are gonna top it next weekend for sho!

I'm not sure about SOG. For some reason a movie using History Channel footage doesn't scream breakout to me. Even if Lego drops 50% (and I don't see that happening) SOG would have to do over 15m to beat it. I think there's a good chance we see another sub 10m opener.

• Founder / Operator

Is that good?

$3,911 per-theatre-average on Friday, ahead of Howl's Moving Castle ($3,585 PTA from 36 theaters) and slightly behind Spirited Away ($4,818 from 26 theaters). I'd say it's good in the way of being on par with normal Miyazaki business here in the States.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Definitely a big weekend for Frozen. It topped Sith yesterday, will top Nemo and Potter 8 today. Crazy.

Will also become second highest-grossing non-sequel animation ever today. The Lion King is probably safe at #1 thanks to its 3D re-release.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Go Lego!

I'm worried for Peabody and Sherman & Muppetts Most Wanted now though, they could suffer the same fate of Turbo and Smurfs 2 after the box office performances of Frozen, Lego and even Nut Job, family audience might pass on those two movies.

I wouldn't worry too much. Take a look at how much space was between last summer's kids releases

Monsters U - 6/21

Despicable Me 2 - 7/2

Turbo - 7/17

The Smurfs 2 - 7/31

Percy Jackson 2 - 8/7

Planes - 8/9

It wasn't necessarily Monsters U and DM2 that hurt Turbo... it was Smurfs 2, Percy Jackson 2 and Planes coming within the 3 weeks after that did the most damage. 

Frozen has been out since Thanksgiving so it's made most of its money. Nut Job made $60 million - nothing special but decent. LEGO Movie will over $220 million by Mr. Peabody. 

However, I believe Mr. Peabody should be fine - however I'd expect a $35-40 million opening and HTTYD/Croods sized legs. Muppets Most Wanted will sadly do 70-75 million unless it is better than the first. Rio 2 should do 100-120 million even with a sequel decline thanks to Easter being the following weekend.