Impact

Best Actor 2014 predictions!

Based on early world out of Toronto, Redmayne seems like a stone cold lock for a nomination as long as they don't consider him "too young." I'd even say he's the slightest of favorites to win it all. Seems to have stolen Cumberbatch's thunder in the "legendary troubled British scientist" face-off.

Somewhere in The Heaven of the Banned, fishnets smiles in satisfaction.

Keaton, Cumberbatch and Redmayne all feel like locks already. Carell seems pretty close to being one. The battle for that fifth slot is gonna be a doozy.

Not so fast, there s still a lot of unseen films with big showy roles, Inherent Vice, Selma, Unbroken, American Sniper.Bill Murray, Brad Pitt, christop Waltz, Jake Gillenhall can all have a shot.The category is staked this year.

That's why I said the fifth slot battle is gonna be tough. It's hard to imagine Keaton, Cumberbatch and Redmayne being left out with the raves they've all received. Timothy Spall and Jack O'Connell are gonna be right up there.

10 to 15 actors get raves every year, Cumber and Redmayne definitely made quite an entrance in the race but they are far from being locks.The general consensus at AW( I know how they work as a hive mind and they are better than any Oscar pundit on the net) is that the only lock is Keaton.Cumber and Redmayne are in a good position but wait till the festival heat dies down, there are still unseen performances and we are still almost 6 months away from the noms. Edited by The Futurist

I see no reason to think Cumberbatch and Redmayne won't get in. We know the Academy loves those Brits.

They love even more a biopic performance...

I'm begining to hate those kind of roles.

What if we see 4/5 biopic performances being nommed this year? It could very well happen.

• Like 1

They love even more a biopic performance... I'm begining to hate those kind of roles. What if we see 4/5 biopic performances being nommed this year? It could very well happen.

Real-life characters are clearly very popular and 3/5 is far from uncommon. 4/5, however, seems like a lot, although it has happened already (2004).

Not so fast, there s still a lot of unseen films with big showy roles, Inherent Vice, Selma, Unbroken, American Sniper.Bill Murray, Brad Pitt, christop Waltz, Jake Gillenhall can all have a shot.The category is staked this year.

When is it not stacked?

I'm not calling anyone a lock this year after Bale got in over Hanks and Redford.

• Like 1

For what? Both Enemy and Nightcrawler are (said to be, in the latter case) not up the Academy's alley at all.

Agreed, but I am still fascinated that Hilary Swank and Charlize Theron won Oscars for such dark, difficult and bleak movies that were not AMPAS s alley at all.

Never seen the Swank one, but Theron's win doesn't surprise me at all. Monster isn't really a risky, challenging, alienating, or outrageously stylized movie. It's a simple story conventionally told, and Theron's performance, as good as it is, is an awards magnet if there ever was one. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

Never seen the Swank one, but Theron's win doesn't surprise me at all. Monster isn't really a risky, challenging, alienating, or outrageously stylized movie. It's a simple story conventionally told, and Theron's performance, as good as it is, is an awards magnet if there ever was one.

Monster was not an easy watch at all IMO.