Impact

Best Actor 2014 predictions!

American Sniper there was no buzz when SAG and Globes were announced but it feels like it took off at just the right time for Oscar voting w/ it's strong limited box office being a story and some good guild noms. It's the kind of movie where I think it could get waaay more nominations than anyone here is expecting OR it could get maybe only one or two.

• Like 2

Why on earth did Christian Bale get nominated last year?

He rode the Hustle wave, since that movie got nominated in a ton of categories and every acting category. If an actor is on the cusp and their movie gets a bunch of other noms there tends to be a better chance they get in. That's why more and more I'm thinking Fiennes will nab the fifth spot because GBH is looking to pick up 7 or 8 other noms. And Fiennes has been nominated for Best Actor before, which as Impact has pointed out is something that you can almost always count on for there to be a previous nominee in the category.

• Like 2

Likely my final:

Benedict Cumberbatch for The Imitation Game

Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler

Michael Keaton for Birdman

David Oyelowo for Selma

Eddie Redmayne for The Theory of Everything

Alt: Bradley Cooper for American Sniper

Why on earth would Cooper would get in such a competitive year 

b/c the life is unfair

Sadly for me imo Cooper is 80% in

Fieness - comedic nature of the film works against him (which is dumb but thats Academy)

Edited by Lady of Lorien
  • Like 2

BCoop is 100% in the race now.

I don't see AS coming home empty handed.

It will be the only real race in the acting categories since the rest is pretty much set : Moore-Arquette-Simmons.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 3

I don't get Redmayne. I haven't seen the movie, but isn't winning the Oscar about the narrative? He has no narrative, unlike Keaton, Cooper, or even Carell. Whatevs

His character is waaay more sympathetic than those three, which helps more than it should, and there's a perceived level of difficultly to what he did. plus academy loves to award diseased characters and ALS is a disease they haven't covered yet.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3