JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

With the most recent update, a few milestones have been reached in 2021, firstly James Bond takes the lead, which he might keep for the rest of the year. And with a gross 408.4m the top 50 has now overtaken 2020's *entire* gross of 401.2m. I'd estimate the overall yearly gross to be about 500m. Not that it was ever really in doubt, I think 2021 overtook sometime in October, but it's still nice to know for sure.

It's still a far cry from pre-pandemic times though, we averaged a bit over 1.2b each year from 2015-2019.

LEeBZ6B.png

I went to see Dune at the Onyx Screen in Entertainment Quarter (Fox Studios). I was a bit worried about eyestrain, but I needn't've been. It was actually pretty cool, especially when there's nothing onscreen, because it goes *dark*, like pitch black. You don't realise how much light there actually is with a projector until it's not there.

The movie was great too but I didn't realise it was part one. Fair enough I guess though, there was a lot of story being told and to have condensed the whole book into one movie it would've just felt too rushed. Great effects and cinematography too, surely deserves nominations for both.

Edited by lab276
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

That's about A$1M+ I believe. I suppose all of AUS be around A$3M. HUGE OD it shall be.

Thinking A$8M OD may be.

I was checking A:EG opening, its scary how big those numbers were. I was thinking it probably did A$38-40M but it did A$45M. Sad it ended its run at just A$84M.

SM:NWH may be A$23M weekend from A$8M OD. 

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Top Opening Weekends

1. Avengers: Endgame - $34,116,525 ($44,394,082 5 days)
  2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens - $27,254,820
  3. Avengers: Infinity War - $21,239,893 ($29,941,015 5 days)
  4. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - $20,927,623
  5. The Lion King - $20,537,945 ($24,769,451 5 days)

SM:NWH 3rd highest mostly.

I think you forgot HP7 huge OW in Australia 

How much would A$23M OW mean ? A$55M-A$65M total ?

36 minutes ago, LPLC said:

I think you forgot HP7 huge OW in Australia 

How much would A$23M OW mean ? A$55M-A$65M total ?

Let's see. Endgame barely did 84M after 44M 5 days while TLJ did 61M after 21M weekend. 

I am hoping for 60M for long time I think.

Potter 8 - 18,368,621 weekend. 25,460,975 5 days.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lab276 said:

AEG consistently had big drops despite having effectively no competition, -60%, -60%, -44%, -50%, -48%. Only on its seventh weekend did it have a sub 40% drop but by then it made only 500k. TLK’19 seventh weekend it made 1.1m. 

Yeah. That's the superhero genre limitations in developed markets I guess. You will get opening frontloaded af from your young audiences but will leg awful as it burn the capacity fast.

Endgame legs are depressing.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah. That's the superhero genre limitations in developed markets I guess. You will get opening frontloaded af from your young audiences but will leg awful as it burn the capacity fast.

Mainly because it only attracted young people but elders won't see these movie

9 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

No Way Home Event Cinemas Thursday

50515/168713 across 756 showings

You rock buddy. its awesome to see you tracking outside domestic. 

Looking at insane BO across the board would Sony consider bringing back Tobey for another movie. Just rumors are taking it so high I wonder what would a starred movie with Tobey an do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

It was a finale which tends to be frontloaded plus the spoilerphobia for Endgame was massive, everyone interested rushed to see it as quickly as possible. Superhero movies are perfectly capable of legging well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

It was a finale which tends to be frontloaded plus the spoilerphobia for Endgame was massive, everyone interested rushed to see it as quickly as possible. Superhero movies are perfectly capable of legging well. 

They are but not generally for a sequel. I don't expect NWH to be very leggy. Maybe 3x if we're lucky (domestically, can't speak on other markets) but more likely 2.5-2.7x given the extreme hype. 

As several people attached to the film have said, this is the "Spider-Man Endgame". 

Edited by Multiverse of XXR

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

Superhero movies are perfectly capable of legging well. 

I mean US has superhero culture deep embedded but we rarely see Superhero property trend great overseas except if it is obscure to have big start or has general look like GoTG movies, which helped them in Europe a lot.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

You rock buddy. its awesome to see you tracking outside domestic. 

Looking at insane BO across the board would Sony consider bringing back Tobey for another movie. Just rumors are taking it so high I wonder what would a starred movie with Tobey an do. 

I think its ensemble that is working. Tobey franchise ended on a very dull note & I don't think Tobey is cool enough for new generation.

Also TBH I am not really sold on NWH yet. Even till now. I still think its just Internet noise that is very loud & the actual hype is nowhere close to events that were IW & EG.

I expect it to be frontloaded AF.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1