JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Saturday was about 40% higher admits compared with Thor 1. Today is already well above Thor 1's first Sunday.Today is crazy busy, and I don't know why! We'll have sold more tickets than yesterday by about 5pm.

I'm not surprised as Thor 1 opened during easter.  Thor 2 is opening during normal school.  I suspect you will find a lot of people waited till the weekend to see this.  I could still see Thor 2 easily >> 6m... 

I wouldn't be surprised that the bulk of the 2.8m from thurs / fri came from friday night... 

6m to 7m OW is fine and a bump from the first film.. but yeah it's not as great as we hoped though.  (the first film managed nearly 20m from it's OW here, so we are targeting a total > 20m (the hope is for 30m but it's gonna take some good holds and given the upcoming competition, i don't know if it will happen)

Sunday is now above Saturday at my work for Thor 2. This is partly due to the 'long' weekend, as Tuesday is a public holiday in Melbourne. Still weird though.I'm thinking $6.5m for the weekend.$20m should be easy as THG:CF isn't for 3 more weeks.

I'm still quietly hoping for 30m final but i'm thinking a more realistic 23m to 26m finish here.. (as stated it should have 3 weeks to it self at the box office before the fire catches on ;)

lets see the competition Thor 2 faces now:

2nd weekend - insidious chapter 2..... hmmm horror never a big sell here (i've never even seen the first)

nothing else on the thors 2nd weekend to hurt it.. so it if falls big then it's no one to blame but itself!

3rd weekend - Carrie, Jackass, the fifth estate... only jackass could breakout from that group though fifth estate could surprise given the subject matter (however i doubt it as no ones interested in this take on that story :P )... so i don't think thor's gonna hurt here either.

4th weekend - the hunger games - catching fire... This is where the damage will be done to thor if it's still earning reasonable weekend totals... catching fire could suck all the attention that weekend.. catching fire is locked for 10m OW (frankly that would be disappointing at this point), and could well be toying with the november weekend record owned by new moon.   Though i don't see it happening, Catching Fire could well threaten the all time record owned by potter, but that i still think is a long shot... to be blunt i'd be happy with a 15m OW matching deathly hallows part 1.....   either way thor will likely take a hit this weekend.

5th weekend - if thor is still alive at this point, then there is big void in releases here (nothing of note) but thats more to do with what opens 1 week earlier... ;)

6th weekend - faces ender games which could take further audience away but by now it should be earning low enough that the impact is little

7th weekend - american hustle ??? nothing is here .. very dead zone again (surprising given it's the first weekend of the holidays for a lot of kids...

8th weekend - anchorman hits the airwaves... i guess this is turning to a run up to christmas of what is coming...

9th weekend - if thor is still around at all (which i doubt anyway) this is the christmas weekend and it will be slaughtered either way.. the hobbit 2 will hit on boxing day along with frozen, walter mitty (which i think could surprise), and a list of films i have no idea which are wide and which are not.... it's all about how big the hobbit can go here... boxing day falls on the thursday and the last time we had a middle earth film open on a thursday (boxing day) it smashed a few records along the way.. though it's gonna be a lot tougher this time with potters high mark holding sway.....

Edited by Jajang