JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Rth what's the deal with IMAX Sydney and the new Quarter that's being built? Are we losing the cinema for good, or just temporarily? And if it is only temporarily, will it come back in its current size?

It's not part of the Darling Quarter development. However it does look like the existing IMAX building will be demolished for The Ribbon development. I'm guessing it will be out of action for 2-3 years. I hope it's the same size screen when it opens again.

http://theribbonsydney.com/wp-content/uploads/docs/ARC-HSL-DESIGN-STATEMENT.pdf

As it stands the best comparison is Shrek 2 here.

Avengers is not a good comparison as while the drop is similar, in reality it's really dropping from a much larger weekend (19m 5 day).

So using Shrek 2 as the comparison - JW can reach 58m to 59m without much trouble.   I think 60m is possible based upon this, but we shall see how the holidays treat JW.. if it's more family than adult then 60m is happening.

Since it's hitting 650 in USA, we need 65 to happen in Australia so we can keep the "10" ratio going. Get it done guys! :D

It's not part of the Darling Quarter development. However it does look like the existing IMAX building will be demolished for The Ribbon development. I'm guessing it will be out of action for 2-3 years. I hope it's the same size screen when it opens again.

or they can do what IMAX did in brisbane shut the thing down..... I'd go see some of these films in IMAX if we had a screen of that size in brisbane!

Most Popular Films For Period Week, June 18– June 24, 2015 

WIR = Weeks In Release

No WIR Title $ %
Total $
1 2 JURASSIC WORLD (M), UNIVERSAL [604/ $20,805] 12,566,116 -38%
2 1 MINIONS (PG), UNIVERSAL [487/ $14,855] 7,234,443 N/A
3 1 INSIDE OUT (PG), WALT DISNEY [468/ $9,924] 4,644,300 N/A
4 5 SPY (MA15+), FOX [241/ $4,180] 1,007,325 -25%
5 3 ENTOURAGE (MA15+), WARNER BROS [233/ $3,912] 911,421 -43%
6 6 MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (MA15+), ROADSHOW [159/ $3,651] 580,518 -38%
7 2 HOT PURSUIT (M), WARNER BROS [159/ $3,537] 562,434 -33%
8 4 SAN ANDREAS (M), ROADSHOW [199/ $2,804] 557,954 -42%
9 5 WOMAN IN GOLD (M), ROADSHOW [158/ $3,531] 557,830 -19%
10 3 ALOHA (PG), FOX [198/ $1,976] 391,187 -54%
11 7 PITCH PERFECT 2 (M), UNIVERSAL [129/ $1,819] 234,653 -53%
12 4 TOMORROWLAND (PG), WALT DISNEY [132/ $948] 125,098 -72%
13 1 GOING CLEAR: SCIENTOLOGY AND THE PRISON OF BELIEF (M), MADMAN [14/ $7,682] 107,548 N/A
14 3 WALKING THE CAMINO: SIX WAYS TO SANTIAGO (PG), UMBRELLA ENTERTAINMENT [13/ $8,022] 104,288 9%
15 2 THE MAFIA KILLS ONLY IN SUMMER (M), PALACE [13/ $7,162] 93,105 -13%
16 1 ABCD 2 (M), MINDBLOWING FILMS [15/ $5,734] 86,006 N/A
17 5 WILD TALES (MA15+), SONY PICTURES [10/ $7,525] 75,254 27%
18 7 EX MACHINA (MA15+), UNIVERSAL [15/ $3,159] 47,383 -21%
19 7 DIL DHADAKNE DO (PG), EROS AUSTRALIA [12/ $3,782] 45,380 -60%
20 9 THE AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON (M), WALT DISNEY [17/ $2,646] 44,989 -52%

• Like 2

or they can do what IMAX did in brisbane shut the thing down..... I'd go see some of these films in IMAX if we had a screen of that size in brisbane!

Southbank cinema 5 screen is old Imax whilst not running "imax" product anymore is big screen for normal, although you'll never get in (at least Fri-Sun) as its almost always sold out even like a midday session.

One of the screens at Palace nova Adelaide is the old Imax one as well retrofitted.

If the Imax Brisbane/Adelaide/Perth which unfortunately didn't do so well with  Imax docos could have held on few more years might have benefited from adding feature films to the line up.

• Like 2

? at the moment as to either if this project is going ahead at all or if so when. Imax sydney is scheduled to get Laser Projection although probably not before 2016 (they will most likely miss out on SW7 with Imax Scenes, Melbourne will be ready for it). If there were plans to demolition and rebuild anytime soon they wouldn't be committing to laser just yet.

The hold off at the moment with Laser is as its  the worlds biggest screen will  laser projection be able to fill it, wanting to make sure it will.

• Like 1

? at the moment as to either if this project is going ahead at all or if so when. Imax sydney is scheduled to get Laser Projection although probably not before 2016 (they will most likely miss out on SW7 with Imax Scenes, Melbourne will be ready for it). If there were plans to demolition and rebuild anytime soon they wouldn't be committing to laser just yet.

The hold off at the moment with Laser is as its  the worlds biggest screen will  laser projection be able to fill it, wanting to make sure it will.

I remember a while back some redevelopment of George street which might mean the cinema gets demolished, any word on how that's going?

When I was looking I couldn't find any recent news except for below.  It seems like it will eventually go ahead but it won't happen until they have an anchor tenants.  However, it does appear as though construction would require the demolition of the existing building so that at some point in the next few years the IMAX theatre might be out of action for at least around 2 years.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/grocon-nears-ribbon-project-deal-in-darling-harbour/story-fn9656lz-1227263568353

Will there be an IMAX film release of SW7?

When I was looking I couldn't find any recent news except for below.  It seems like it will eventually go ahead but it won't happen until they have an anchor tenants.  However, it does appear as though construction would require the demolition of the existing building so that at some point in the next few years the IMAX theatre might be out of action for at least around 2 years.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/property/grocon-nears-ribbon-project-deal-in-darling-harbour/story-fn9656lz-1227263568353

Will there be an IMAX film release of SW7?

not sure if do a  Imax 15/70 of  SW7, I believe there no more than couple actual Imax sequences. Imax Melbourne will have SW7 in Laser 4k so any Imax scene will go full screen. Sydney won't have that unless there is  15/70 print available. Melbourne switches to Laser in Sept along with new sound system (basically Imax equal of Atmos)

not sure if do a  Imax 15/70 of  SW7, I believe there no more than couple actual Imax sequences. Imax Melbourne will have SW7 in Laser 4k so any Imax scene will go full screen. Sydney won't have that unless there is  15/70 print available. Melbourne switches to Laser in Sept along with new sound system (basically Imax equal of Atmos)

Are there any locations which will get Atmos in Brisbane / Queensland ?  At the moment I wasn't aware of any.

About the best we have in brisbane for cinemas is:

vmax or gold class (through event)

max screen in cineplex southbank is the biggest screen in queensland (old imax theatre)

thats about the end of it though...

JW will fly passed AoU within 7 days.

JW should be #1 probably 3 to 5 days later of 2015...

At the moment it's running about 118% of Shrek 2's weekly total (was fairly consistent with it's opening weekend too).  If can keep on running @ 118% of shrek 2 from here on out, then JW should be passing 59m (making 60m well within range at this point).  So on that, 50m looks to be a given at this point, with #3 all time all but locked.  is a good shot @ #2 (if we take out the re-releases of titanic like most of the sites do for australian box office).  #1 is still a long way off at this point lol... I just don't see anythign coming close to Avatar anytime soon.  it's almost embarrassing how far out in front of everything else that film is.

• Like 2

JW should be #1 probably 3 to 5 days later of 2015...

At the moment it's running about 118% of Shrek 2's weekly total (was fairly consistent with it's opening weekend too).  If can keep on running @ 118% of shrek 2 from here on out, then JW should be passing 59m (making 60m well within range at this point).  So on that, 50m looks to be a given at this point, with #3 all time all but locked.  is a good shot @ #2 (if we take out the re-releases of titanic like most of the sites do for australian box office).  #1 is still a long way off at this point lol... I just don't see anythign coming close to Avatar anytime soon.  it's almost embarrassing how far out in front of everything else that film is.

Its not even like Avatar is like the US where it's "only" the equivalent of about 140m more than second; it's basically double.

I honestly see it staying there for at least another decade.

Its not even like Avatar is like the US where it's "only" the equivalent of about 140m more than second; it's basically double.

I honestly see it staying there for at least another decade.

Avatar came very close to Titanic's attendance (which isn't even the biggest anyway).

also that similar to how titanic was the biggest film in Australia for 12 years 1997 - 2009.  Still the second biggest some 6 years later.... it's been a hard road to climb to get over that mountain and even now, we are still shakey if a film can open big enough and hold on and make it past that number.  still a big yardstick and 50m is yet to become the new 40m.  sheesh even 40m is a struggle .. look at the last few years.  Before FF7, the last film to cross 40m in australia was TH AUJ back in 2012.

• Like 1

Avatar came very close to Titanic's attendance (which isn't even the biggest anyway).

also that similar to how titanic was the biggest film in Australia for 12 years 1997 - 2009.  Still the second biggest some 6 years later.... it's been a hard road to climb to get over that mountain and even now, we are still shakey if a film can open big enough and hold on and make it past that number.  still a big yardstick and 50m is yet to become the new 40m.  sheesh even 40m is a struggle .. look at the last few years.  Before FF7, the last film to cross 40m in australia was TH AUJ back in 2012.

After a whole run of $40m + films.in 2012, I was beginning to think maybe it is now $50m.

2013 and 2014 cleared that up for all of us.