JJ-8

Australian Box Office | ....

Minions 30% higher than DM2(it did have previews weekend b4) probably looking 6-7.5m weekend, IO 3-4m, JW around 7.6-9

as expected minions >> IO....will have a repeat of DM2 vs MU scenario in 2013

hope IO can hold its ground against Minions

• Like 1

Minions 30% higher than DM2(it did have previews weekend b4) probably looking 6-7.5m weekend, IO 3-4m, JW around 7.6-9

Generally Australia mimics North America box office. I wonder does this mean Minions could gross close to 60 to 80% more in North America (at least OW)

I'm thinking $8-9m for JW, Minions $5-6m and Inside Out $4m.

Interesting

Generally Australia mimics North America box office. I wonder does this mean Minions could gross close to 60 to 80% more in North America (at least OW)

Children's movies in Aus work very differently. They open relatively lower but have much better legs. It's because of the way our school holidays work.

JW amazing 2nd weekend will be biggest 2nd weekend ever (prev Avatar) should be around 9.8-10m sub 40 drop

Minions around 5.6 (12% higher than DM2 it did also have previews weekend before)

IO around 3.5m (4.5 with previews last weekend)

Edited by rthandhisMinions
  • Like 8

JW amazing 2nd weekend will be biggest 2nd weekend ever (prev Avatar) should be around 9.8-10m sub 40 drop

Minions around 5.6 (12% higher than DM2 it did also have previews weekend before)

IO around 3.5m (4.5 with previews last weekend)

thanks RTH

Considering avatar was fueled by Christmas and we haven't even reached holidays here. What the fuck? A nearly 10m 2nd weekend is just ...... Wow I gotta ask with holidays only a week away. Is 60m possible? JW will be over 30m by Monday. After a 10m weekend another 20m should happen making 50m likely. Bringing my question can JW reach 60m and 2nd all time here?

With Minions and IO opening this weekend I'd been thinking holidays started this week. It now seems even more strange that one of them didn't open next weekend. I also think both studios weren't expecting a $10m 2nd weekend for JW when they booked this date.

Edited by DeeCee

With Minions and IO opening this weekend I'd been thinking holidays started this week. It now seems even more strange that one of them didn't open next weekend. I also think both studios weren't expecting a $10m 2nd weekend for JW when they booked this date.
Studios have always tended to open animations 1 week before the main holidays of late. It used to be staggered here before this. I think this makes sure all holidays are covered by the opening.

JW will be $30m at the end of Sunday. About $34m by Wednesday and then over $40m by next Sunday. With school holidays it should average at least $1m a day for the next 14 days so that gives it at least $55m+. It definitely has a shot at $60m.

To give you an idea how massive JW is, minions and inside out both opening this weekend and while they r supposed to playing in premium cinemas such as vmax, gold class in Qld, neither film is (well they do get an occasional gold class ) JW has continued to suck up those sessions and I feel both of the animated films aren't playing on as many screens as normal thanks to JW. Not only have they opened together limiting each other but a 3rd film is just dominating over the top. Without the competition, I'd say IO prob opens closer to 6m and minions 8 to 9m. But i guess no one saw JW dominating like it is.

Edited by Jajang and Back Again
  • Like 1