Olive

Best Animated Feature-2014

Well I hope HTTYD's win at the Globes won't be a precursor to the Oscars. Damn I wasn't even moved by that movie. The relationships seemed forced. But hey, it's also winning the Annies for sure (it's Dreamworks DUH) so I guess it's the frontrunner.

Ugh, that movie was such a letdown. Shut up HFPA for rewarding mediocrity!

Lol, Disney placed its bets on the wrong horse last year. I'm sure the nomination number would have increased to ten with Frozen getting in if Disney had just pushed it hard enough for a BP nom.

But then again, Disney never foresaw The Phenomenon happening at all.

As soon as it had a $93 million 5 day, they should have changed the campaign lol. Mr. Banks was just a solid film with a standout performance by Colin Farrell that was simply overshadowed. 

Frozen could have gotten nods for:

Best Picture

Best Song ("Let it Go" and "For the First Time in Forever"/Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" ... either one) 

Best Adapted Screenplay (dark horse, but maybe...)

Best Sound Mixing/Editing

Best Animated Feature 

It may not have truly deserved that many nods, but Disney could have easily gotten them after it transformed into Frozetar with the right campaign. 

• Like 2

^It's actually a near technical impossibility with the current voting system for there to be ten nominees. like a 95% chance it'll never happen. Just sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Huh? The 9 nominees thing started only from the 2012 ceremony. 2010 and 2011 were ten nominees. Is there something I'm not aware of that happened between 2011 and 2012?

• Like 1

Huh? The 9 nominees thing started only from the 2012 ceremony. 2010 and 2011 were ten nominees. Is there something I'm not aware of that happened between 2011 and 2012?

Yeah, they changed the rules. '10 and '11 were a guaranteed ten nominees like there was a guaranteed 5 every year before that. for '12 onward they changed the rules so that there can be anywhere between 5-10 nominees and they changed the voting system too. The system is needlessly complicated and I'm told it pretty much guarantees there's never gonna be a year with 5 nominees or 10 nominees.

• Like 3

As soon as it had a $93 million 5 day, they should have changed the campaign lol. Mr. Banks was just a solid film with a standout performance by Colin Farrell that was simply overshadowed. 

Frozen could have gotten nods for:

Best Picture

Best Song ("Let it Go" and "For the First Time in Forever"/Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?" ... either one) 

Best Adapted Screenplay (dark horse, but maybe...)

Best Sound Mixing/Editing

Best Animated Feature 

It may not have truly deserved that many nods, but Disney could have easily gotten them after it transformed into Frozetar with the right campaign. 

Yup, and how much does the score from musicals not being eligible for Original Score rule suckkk? Christophe Beck's score is criminally underrated.

• Like 1

I love watching fanboys/fangirls' reactions to the "snub" of the The Lego Movie, saying reasons like; Academy's board in Animation are bunch of old white people, TLM was released last February so they might have forgot about it, Disney always win (even though it should be Pixar bec. they can't see the difference), TLM is a shoo-in so they didn't vote it because they thought it would get in, TLM looked like a huge commercial so they didn't try to watch it, etc., etc.

But then when a famous one won the category, e.g. Brave and Frozen, people said that because the Academy board was not watching animated films and they let their kids decide who will win or they'll based it from the popularity of the movie. But then, that's what The Lego Movie was, right? Kids loved that movie and it was so popular (that's why majority thought it was a shoo-in) but still in the end it didn't even get  nominated. The irony huh?

I would really like to hear an opinion piece from an actual and professional animator to clarify why TLM didn't get nominated. But for my silly reasoning, I think the live action part harmed the movie as it was unfair for the other films that they relied fully on animation as their medium.

• Like 1

It is incredibly easy. The Boxtrolls shouldn't have been nominated.

It really is the animated equivalent of The Reader getting nominated over The Dark Knight - a clear case where the audience and critics widely prefer one of the two, but the voting base only cares about genre and "craft", deeming the inferior one to be superior based on criteria that have little to do with the overall quality. 

• Like 2

I would probably give that the nod over Big Hero 6, actually. 

I haven't seen either of the two indie ones, so I can't judge either way.

I haven't seen Song Of The Sea yet (but loved the animation in Book Of Kells so I'm looking forward to it) but The Tale Of Princess Kaguya is a masterwork.  It deserves Best Picture, Best Director, Best Screenplay and Best Score nominations.

Edited by TalismanRing

Maybe Academy thought the live action scenes hampered Lego's climax? I dunno. If they do focus a lot on technical aspects (reason being for The Boxtrolls inclusion), then I could see why they would have a problem with the live action scenes playing such a prominent part of the movie's resolution.

Yeah probably, the live action scene was pretty lengthy as well

So sorry Spongebob: Out of Water  for next year's nomination then ;)

Edited by forg
  • Like 1

I would really like to hear an opinion piece from an actual and professional animator to clarify why TLM didn't get nominated. But for my silly reasoning, I think the live action part harmed the movie as it was unfair for the other films that they relied fully on animation as their medium.

If they had a problem with that then they should've made the rule a lot stricter. Under their guidelines your film only needs to be 75% animation to be nominated.

• Like 3