Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Panda you do realize this is James Cameron and none of the SWS , LOTR or final HP or Avengers couldnt beat even Titanic's one run and many of them had the 3D price edge lol. Then James Cameron's very next film beats Titanic by over a billion..

I dont think your statement makes sense..lol  Did I mention the whole of BOM pretty much thought it would flop or make no more than 400-700+Mil besides me, Neo, Kayu,  Kkong, FMPRO, and  handful of people....It will be the same again

Juggernaut 2 will beat Avatar I by at least a billion. :)

James Cameron is the ultimate outlier. A walking box office anomaly but when you scrutinize his movies he got the knack to awe people in the purest form and cracked it to its sheer definition.

Something that impacts strongly your visual sense and, more important, touch the heart (Leo and Kate "flying" in front of the Titanic, ship breaking in two and slowly diving in the cold night, Home tree falling, Navis vs Mechas, Neytiri cuddling human Jake), you can't help but stare at it and watch it numerous times to re-live the thrill of it all.

• Like 2

Jim voicing a anime character is just the best in the world I have ever seen. 

Hey crispy no I wasnt , but you and King Kong buddy may just have got me locked and loaded to go check it out.. Since we all have similar taste in animated and epic films :).. Oh

please come to the billion dollar mega film discussion thread. Neo locked the one I started as theres one going on already..

hee hee. Neo come to it too my compadre so we can really get  the thread more active

Here is the link ladies and gents:

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/9583-what-is-the-new-1-billion/page-13#entry1141567

• Like 1

James Cameron is the ultimate outlier. A walking box office anomaly but when you scrutinize his movies he got the knack to awe people in the purest form and cracked it to its sheer definition.

Something that impacts strongly your visual sense and, more important, touch the heart (Leo and Kate "flying" in front of the Titanic, ship breaking in two and slowly diving in the cold night, Home tree falling, Navis vs Mechas, Neytiri cuddling human Jake), you can't help but stare at it and watch it numerous times to re-live the thrill of it all.

dASH our fellow brother in arms of epics and all things James Cameron... Indeed this man knows how to stir things in even no movie fanatics... The power of movie magic is strong beyond anyone else in JC without a doubt. I mean who gets folks 80+ to pay 20.00 a pop and put on 3D glasses in droves to see  a sci fi!!!... Not even Jurassic Park had so many golden age folks attending as Avatar i.. That is insane.. Dont forget he works with best composer hands down..Only guy on Horners level is the dude who composed SWs, Indy, and Superman. :)  ... And  dash Neteryi cuddling Jake is one of the greatest moments Ive ever seen on screen.  Didnt matter that she was a 12 ft alien princess or he was a little human... She was saving her man." I see you!"  ... " I see you!" Dont think too many people can leave the 3D version or 2D version for that matter and not be affected deeply. :)

3.8-4Billion+ WW is coming.

Watch how folks faint gang when they see just  how much more The Juggernaut 2 gets out of China, Japan, SK, Austraila and Russia than all the rest of the movies LMAO.. Some territories may give our movie 350-450+ M and the rest 120-200+M..

Wow!

• Like 1

Terminator 2? Also everyone said that about the first Avatar and about Titanic. Never underestimate a movie with James Cameron, I've learnt my lesson twice now.

Amen Mattrek, watch some of these haters faint when our movie does  3.8billion -4billion+ at the box office. Some are preaching the gospel that this movie alone will hit 4.5-5+B WW.. If it crosses 4B+..Lets alll get Avatar shirts and post them here. I know I will be doing some fun stuff if the 4billion  milestone is reached by this world breaker...

I say anyone thinking this film isnt a lock for 2.5billion up has some high hopes lol

God...life is so...fragile. Who would´ve thought that he would be dead that same day.

I know righ cochfles.. Lets give appreciation for all the good things around us, no matter how simple every day from this day forward. I hope he had good conversations with his daughter and gf and family this tragic day as well.

• Like 1

Amen Mattrek, watch some of these haters faint when our movie does  3.8billion -4billion+ at the box office. Some are preaching the gospel that this movie alone will hit 4.5-5+B WW.. If it crosses 4B+..Lets alll get Avatar shirts and post them here. I know I will be doing some fun stuff if the 4billion  milestone is reached by this world breaker...

I say anyone thinking this film isnt a lock for 2.5billion up has some high hopes lol

Lol. Ok, dude.

Well, many people were pretty confident THG: CF won't outgross the first. I'm thinking of 600 M for this one but I won't be surprised if this makes more.

I mentioned Catching Fire, but you have to realize there is much more room to grow off of 400m (and even then that's ridiculously hard, the release date change and fan base expansion helped) than 700m, Avatar pretty much grossed Despicable Me 2 and Iron Man 3 put together in terms of domestic (and overseas nearly The Avengers and Iron Man 3 put together) , that means something else was a factor to Avatar's success besides just good word of mouth (same with how Titanic was), and for Avatar you can narrow it down to a mix of Cameron making his first film since Titanic for the large opening, and then the revolutionizing special effects and the beginning of the 3D craze (nobody had seen 3D used as anything more than a cheap gimmick before). Literally, one of the only things people were talking about for that movie was how amazing the special effects were, and how you had to see it in the movie theaters. This is one of those cases where Avatar is a special case for all the box office trends, meaning there is a special reason it grossed that much and it wasn't pure luck, and I highly doubt it's repeatable through a sequel.Avatar 2 is good for a large opening thanks to Cameron and good will from Avatar, and if it's any good some good legs (not in Avatar's sense of good legs), it'd also say it's locked for a billion, maybe even 1.5+b, but it won't be hitting 2.5b unless it really does something technically mind blowing (to the point Avatar was) that sends people to theaters for multiple viewings just to see those effects again. It's Cameron so expect anything, but from early word it doesn't sound revolutionizing (and trust me, Fox and Cameron would be screaming that as soon as possible if it were to build hype) to the point Avatar was which means that Titanic style juggernaut isn't likely at all. (Plus again, it's a sequel and sequels with predecessors that huge don't gross as much as their predecessors)

Avatar 2 is good for a large opening thanks to Cameron and good will from Avatar, and if it's any good some good legs (not in Avatar's sense of good legs), it'd also say it's locked for a billion, maybe even 1.5+b, but it won't be hitting 2.5b unless it really does something technically mind blowing (to the point Avatar was) that sends people to theaters for multiple viewings just to see those effects again.

And that's where lies the fallacy regarding Avatar's success, people that saw it 15 times didn't just because of the amazing effects. It's the combination of the journey's story that ticked something emotional (yeah, deal with it) and the lush world of Pandora for which people went again and again to get lost into (and revolutionary VFX are just part of the equation for the latter). Like Kal said, people in the golden age don't go seeing VFX extravaganzas because they're fond of CGI, they go because the story resonated in them and the world Cameron illustrated on screen tapped into their imagination. And I think that's what happened all over the world. Only in jaded occidental countries people think Avatar did great just because of 3D "gimmick" and VFX.

It's like saying CF got good WOM right now just because it got Imax scenes and CGI baboons.

If Cameron doesn't lose his sense of awe and his effective storyteller knack till 2016, surrounded by an army of screenwriters and an army of VFX geniuses under his command, the sky is the limit.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

And that's where lies the fallacy regarding Avatar's success, people that saw it 15 times didn't just because of the amazing effects. It's the combination of the journey's story that ticked something emotional (yeah, deal with it) and the lush world of Pandora for which people went again and again to get lost into (and revolutionary VFX are just part of the equation for the latter). Like Kal said, people in the golden age don't go seeing VFX extravaganzas because they're fond of CGI, they go because the story resonated in them and the world Cameron illustrated on screen tapped into their imagination. And I think that's what happened all over the world. Only in jaded occidental countries people think Avatar did great just because of 3D "gimmick" and VFX.

It's like saying CF got good WOM right now just because it got Imax scenes and CGI baboons.

If Cameron doesn't lose his sense of awe and his effective storyteller knack till 2016, surrounded by an army of screenwriters and an army of VFX geniuses under his command, the sky is the limit.

Indeed. However, detractors will never admit to that, because they will not give Cameron credit for that too, in addition to all the box office. The reality is that the PLOT has to connect with audiences for them to come back again and again. You can say that the characters were cardboard thin and that the dialogue was laughable until you´re blue in the face, but those cardboard characters and that laughable dialogue resonated with mainstream audiences. For the upteenth time,  ainstream audiences ARE NOT LOOKING FOR DEEP PHILOSOPHICAL STUDIES OF THE HUMAN CONDITION. They look for characters that they can relate to in situations that speak to them. AVATAR had that in spades, and nothing will take that away from JC.  I loved the special effects, but if I didn´t care for Jake and Neytiri and Grace and the rest of them, I would not have felt so strongly about the movie.

• Like 3

And that's where lies the fallacy regarding Avatar's success, people that saw it 15 times didn't just because of the amazing effects. It's the combination of the journey's story that ticked something emotional (yeah, deal with it) and the lush world of Pandora for which people went again and again to get lost into (and revolutionary VFX are just part of the equation for the latter). Like Kal said, people in the golden age don't go seeing VFX extravaganzas because they're fond of CGI, they go because the story resonated in them and the world Cameron illustrated on screen tapped into their imagination. And I think that's what happened all over the world. Only in jaded occidental countries people think Avatar did great just because of 3D "gimmick" and VFX. It's like saying CF got good WOM right now just because it got Imax scenes and CGI baboons. If Cameron doesn't lose his sense of awe and his effective storyteller knack till 2016, surrounded by an army of screenwriters and an army of VFX geniuses under his command, the sky is the limit.

Yes, the story connected with the audience, but it's still foolish to think it would have done as well as it did with the story alone, the groundbreaking effects (which were a MAJOR part in the immersive world, and what carried the movie) are the essential reason behind the success. Yes, it takes a good story to connect with the audience, but it was the immersive beautiful world (carried by again the effects and 3D) that carried it. People saw it countless times because it was a the definition of an IMAX/Theater movie, and it was also a good one (and the first to do what it did on it's scale), it's the same reason Star Wars broke out. Yes, the story is important, but for that groundbreaking success it really required something groundbreaking and never seen before for the audiences to connect with and it all ties back to the immersive effects and 3D. It didn't break out because people were all like, "Yeah 3D!!" That's true, but the 3D and VFX is what made its quality and what made it such an event film that you had to see in theaters before it was gone.Avatar was sold on the premise that it was an absolute must to see in cinema for its groundbreaking visuals and immersive world and a good story to go with it, but the story is NOT why I broke out so big. Avatar 2 won't be new or fresh enough in the GA to become the phenomenon that Avatar was, Avatar was something totally new at the time, it will be big (even a possibility of 2b big, which is huge), but don't expect Avatar big, especially if they're retreading old ground with the same villain.