Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Well it's really pointless to argue with this David guy because obviously he has absolutely convinced himself of what he was saying and nothing can change his mind. He also knows how to discount the factors that disprove his points, so he's 100% unbeatable in his own world lol

In the wknd thread I asked why he believed a film opened to 200m had less hype than one opened to 77m, and what he did in response was completely ignoring those rock-solid numbers and gave a couple phrases some media used such as "Avatar has massive hype, years of hype."  And he kept silent to that subject after I provided a link of the same media exaggeratedly calling "Godzilla closely re-created what Spielberg did on Jaws and JP."

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

AVTR

-Biggest budget in Hollywood history

-Special features on

'Oprah'

'60 Minutes'

front page banners on Drudge, HuffPost

-From director of #1 movie in history

-Unprecedented marketing push, including 'Avatar Day', renting Dallas Cowboys Jumbotron, etc.

-Most downloaded trailer in Hollywood history

Flash forward six years:

"Avatar was a small indie movie and NOBODY saw it coming!!!"

-BOT posters

• Like 1

More relevant was the phony marketing hype Cameron and Co. expertly gamed concerning 3D.  Tens of millions of people truly believed that the 3D was so revolutionary (it wasn't at all) that they would literally be "looking through a window and transported to Pandora"

This is a non-replicable fad (although Cameron will do his damndest to repeat the play-action by hyping his 48 fps and maybe one or two other gimmicks) which, in my opinion, was the primary cause of AVTRs success.  This 3D theory of its success explains why the movie evaporated entirely from the zeitgeist in mere months.  People were actually embarrassed to have bought into the hype and didn't want to relive the debasing memory, just the same as you don't want to relive the time or two you played the fool in a romance as a young person.

AVTR

-Biggest budget in Hollywood history

-Special features on

'Oprah'

'60 Minutes'

front page banners on Drudge, HuffPost

-From director of #1 movie in history

-Unprecedented marketing push, including 'Avatar Day', renting Dallas Cowboys Jumbotron, etc.

-Most downloaded trailer in Hollywood history

Flash forward six years:

"Avatar was a small indie movie and NOBODY saw it coming!!!"

-BOT posters

So you think you are arguing with a bunch of people that claimed "Avatar was a small indie movie"? Well I guess then you were arguing with your imaginary enemy because no one on this site said that or believed that, not even Avatar fans. :lol:

Edited by vc2002

I just love the progression of the narrative that the anti-AVATAR brigade of fanboys and sci fi purists have developed. First it was “It's crap; nobody will care for ten foot tall cat people”; then the film became a smash, proving that people cared, and the narrative changed to “it's only a hit because of the 3D and shiny colors” and “characters are crap anyway, and it's a rip off of many sources”; then the DVD and Blue Ray was a smash, even though it could never replicate the 3D experience (which was allegedly the reason it was such a BO hit), and the narrative changed to “it's only selling so much because of hype and marketing” (seriously? LOL). Now the sequel is imminent, and the detractors have come up with a new strategy: insistently convince other nerds that nobody cares about the film and that it's a forgotten blockbuster. The reality is that internet geeks truly believe that what happens on the net reflects the GA's thoughts about film.

In any case, I am actually happy that the new anti-AVATAR argument is “nobody remembers the film and nobody cares.” It will be so much more enjoyable and delicious to see anti-Avatar nerds' reactions when the sequel to the film that nobody remembers shatters records left and right and once again is a smash with the GA. This will lead to not only epic meltdowns but to even more non-sensical and far-fetched excuses and arguments to try to undermine the sequel's success. :)

So you think you are arguing with a bunch of people that claimed "Avatar was a small indie movie"? Well I guess then you were arguing with your imaginary enemy because no one on this site said that or believed that, not even Avatar fans. :lol:

Cool.  So then stop contradicting yourself and make a clear, falsifiable theory.

I just love the progression of the narrative that the anti-AVATAR brigade of fanboys and sci fi purists have developed. First it was “It's crap; nobody will care for ten foot tall cat people”; then the film became a smash, proving that people cared, and the narrative changed to “it's only a hit because of the 3D and shiny colors” and “characters are crap anyway, and it's a rip off of many sources”; then the DVD and Blue Ray was a smash, even though it could never replicate the 3D experience (which was allegedly the reason it was such a BO hit), and the narrative changed to “it's only selling so much because of hype and marketing” (seriously? LOL). Now the sequel is imminent, and the detractors have come up with a new strategy: insistently convince other nerds that nobody cares about the film and that it's a forgotten blockbuster. The reality is that internet geeks truly believe that what happens on the net reflects the GA's thoughts about film.

In any case, I am actually happy that the new anti-AVATAR argument is “nobody remembers the film and nobody cares.” It will be so much more enjoyable and delicious to see anti-Avatar nerds' reactions when the sequel to the film that nobody remembers shatters records left and right and once again is a smash with the GA. This will lead to not only epic meltdowns but to even more non-sensical and far-fetched excuses and arguments to try to undermine the sequel's success. :)

More long-winded (and bogus) declarative rants.

Instead of just barking out random crap, present a logical, falsifiable theory which can be tackled, rather paragraphs of foggy gibberish.

Here's one: You lied by claiming that  some BOT posters said Avatar was a small indie movie.

Sure I didn't.  You said it.

Any falsifiable theories about, ya know, Avatar in the Avatar thread are welcome.  Your declarative statements about AVTR being a small movie that nobody saw coming are also welcome for their LOL value.

Sure I didn't.  You said it.

Any falsifiable theories about, ya know, Avatar in the Avatar thread are welcome.  Your declarative statements about AVTR being a small movie that nobody saw coming are also welcome for their LOL value.

Here's another clear and falsifiable theory: you lied again by claiming that I said "Avatar was a small indie movie."

OK, we all know that we can find any post of any users on this forum, so this is a good chance for you to prove your theory.  Find any of my posts stating that Avatar was a small indie movie, quote it here.

Otherwise, you're just defending your theory by making lies.

(And don't start sth like "I dont have time to look through all your posts, and I don't need to. You said it and I said you said it."   If you can spend so much time trying to degrade the surprise level of Avatar's success, sure you can take your time to prove it.)

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

Here's another clear and falsifiable theory: you lied again by claiming that I said "Avatar was a small indie movie."

OK, we all know that we can find any post of any users on this forum, so this is a good chance for you to prove your theory.  Find any of my posts stating that Avatar was a small indie movie, quote it here.

Otherwise, you're just defending your theory by making lies.

(And don't start sth like "I dont have time to look through all your posts, and I don't need to. You said it and I said you said it."   If you can spend so much time trying to degrade the surprise level of Avatar's success, sure you can take your time to prove it.)

lol.

still drawing a blank on presenting an actual argument.  hey, if my position were basically, "AVTR was small indie movie that caught the world by surprise", i'd be scrambling for a misdirection when pressed for coherence, too

lol.

still drawing a blank on presenting an actual argument.  hey, if my position were basically, "AVTR was small indie movie that caught the world by surprise", i'd be scrambling for a misdirection when pressed for coherence, too

I take it that you didn't find what you were looking for. :lol:

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 2

I suddenly recall being involved in a massive blowout with Mr Brennan a few years ago. My sincere advice: don't bother. Constructive discourse is far from his mind.

cool. i dont remember you at all.  (although there was a cuckold fetishist i mocked after his repeated post about his lust for "giant black" private parts.  that you?)

I suddenly recall being involved in a massive blowout with Mr Brennan a few years ago. My sincere advice: don't bother. Constructive discourse is far from his mind.

Well, whatever Mr Brennan was trying to prove, I think he digged himself into the movie world too much. It takes extreme obsession for someone to come up with all those "Evil white people" type of theories that he had on Avatar, like this one.

I also think Cameron's rank hypocrisy of making an abjectly anti-white movie, pretending to be a non-white....and then fleeing his guarded Malibu home to move to New Zealand, the Whitest of Whitey White countries (New Zealand has a black population so tiny it literally doesn't appear on demographic pie charts) is shameful.  There's nothing wrong with Cameron's preference for white man's lands over non-whites - I'd rather live in New Zealand or US suburbia than Camden, or Compton, or Detroit, or Baltimore, or Sierra Leone, or Liberia, or Nigeria, or....  But there is something wrong with Cameron telling other white people that they're inferior to non-whites and should supplicate to them while he and his family are vigorously protected from large non-white populations.

• Like 1