Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I don't think Avatar 2 can reach the heights of the first one. The 2009 movie was just an anomaly never seen before. People don't really care enough for the characters/setting/actual movie after the 6 years which passed to propel the other installments to abnormal high boxoffice revenues.

In 2009, 3D was really "Whoa!" for everybody including me. But in 2016 0r 2017, 3D is like an 80s fad, everyone is embarrassed to be seen buying an overpriced ticket. Some of the best 3D movies are available....yes, folks, on BluRay. I have to say I am impressed with Jurassic Park & Mad Max Fury Rd. Plus a whole load of BBC Documentary (3D fans should check out Kingdom of Plants). But that is aided by active 3D glasses which enhanced the pop-out effects. I saw Hobbit 2, Wrath of Titans, Dawn of Apes, Pacific Rim, Gravity - all are unimpressive as 3D shows. Tron Legacy, Prometheus & Hobbit 1 were the only impressive 3D engagements I experienced after Avatar.

Edited by zackzack

Well, this person cares. I may have loved the visuals, but I've always said it: I was first and foremost emotionally invested in the characters and their story. Otherwise, I would not have cared enough to watch the film five times in theatres.

lol cocho when a film has a fb fanpagr,of 60 mil people, its obvious us pandora and James Cameron fans are large and incharge. From the,music, thebmomemts of jake in his avatar body for the first time, to nefeteri not giving a rats ass if jake is human, this is her man she loves for all time. Only titanic could engulf you like avatar did. Also the ultimate epic by cameron though

Good thing that opinions are never universal fact. Your opinion is that the characters were “basic and calculated” while my opinion is that they were relateable and emotionally resonant. Cameron knows how to create characters that will touch audiences, and he did it with at least this member of the audience.

amen it was the first time in over a 100 yrs of filmmaking that a director had backto back world breakers dear cocoflies. So our hater above sounds silly even trying to talk bs that the film wasnt universally loved out of this world. Now fox wants to properly market it to,have merchandising out of this world as well. Cocoflies, dash, ko. Kayom... Avtr2 will take us to,bo glory to the next level

stumbled on possibly one of the best teaser trailer of all time. maybe the best. what do you guys think? Pity the movie didnt live up to the potential. The score, the words of one of our greatestest actors as the narrator. Those eyes open in space. wow!

Agree, one of the most wildly inspiring teasers ever. Man of Steel teasers almost matched its mythopoetic images. Love the close-up on the curl. 

• Like 2

between dvd and br. The mighty avatar has sold over 55mil units ww. Only titanic, tlk has dwarfed it in hv sales.  Finding nemo is the biggest dvd ww with 60 m units sold by the way

55 million copies? wow, was stronger than I thought (40M), I wanted so much to know the numbers titanic (VHS)

apparently Frozen should get 50m too, will do just 20m in the USA

Edited by maryksinger

hahahah last question , does anyone know how many tickets avatar sold in the USA ? the BOM says 97M , however is estimates made by the ticket value, which vary greatly

76-77 million is closer to reality. The BOM chart has a tough time with tickets for films in 3D and IMAX. Avatar in particular caused trouble for the BOM chart since it had a long, huge run in IMAX and it sold 75-80% of its tickets overall in 3D.  This article does a good job estimating the film's ticket sales at the time it passed Titanic's $600m gross:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2667&p=.htm

76-77 million is closer to reality. The BOM chart has a tough time with tickets for films in 3D and IMAX. Avatar in particular caused trouble for the BOM chart since it had a long, huge run in IMAX and it sold 75-80% of its tickets overall in 3D.  This article does a good job estimating the film's ticket sales at the time it passed Titanic's $600m gross:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2667&p=.htm

Thank you so much, you know why the studios not reveal the numbers of tickets sold ? it bothers me so much and is so unfair to old movies

• Like 1

Thank you so much, you know why the studios not reveal the numbers of tickets sold ? it bothers me so much and is so unfair to old movies

I think a big part of it is that they like to use "record-breaking" headlines and advertisements to create more buzz for a movie and get more people into the theater. It is not in the studios' interest to acknowledge the effects of ticket price inflation, 3D, IMAX, and other premium large formats. The current system has been in place so long that it would be a pretty big surprise if they switch to reporting admissions.

I think a big part of it is that they like to use "record-breaking" headlines and advertisements to create more buzz for a movie and get more people into the theater. It is not in the studios' interest to acknowledge the effects of ticket price inflation, 3D, IMAX, and other premium large formats. The current system has been in place so long that it would be a pretty big surprise if they switch to reporting admissions.

yes, but do not need nor change , but reveal the two sides , the box office and tickets , my dream

• Like 1