Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

6 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Lol can't crush avatar if it was rereleased multiple times silly goose and didn't face internet pirating online on the black market.  You'll have to come up with a better argument.  Another reason fanboys of  sws lose those nerd battles.  It's why titanic so run is so superior to everything including Avatar.  Titan faced competition,  pirating age on blk market and online.  And still made a 30x multi and 1billion plus os television in a market arguably over  700% smaller abroad in some areas.  As is a huge franchise but it's out of it so league when compared to titanic and avatar. If sws had faced pirating of today it would be a dead on arrival. 

Its-Not-A-Lie-If-You-Believe-It-Seinfeld

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

First release only. $307m in 1977-78 dollars. Equal to roughly $1.1 billion in 2010 dollars. It crushed AVATAR like a tin can.

Not to fuel Kal's deluded fire, but isn't the 307 number from re-releases shortly after the initial run? That movie's run is confusing to me, I always seem to see conflicting reports. 

6 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Wrong just fall off in major territories my friend and China flops.  Highly unlikely I agree but not impossible tele.  They round off bo guy.  So jp did make 1.7b pretty much.  Just like avtr made 2.79b. But history books say 2.8b ww.   That's just how they float it.  If you want to be exact then go right ahead.  Bottomline jpw has a 20 percent chance or 10% chance to win the year.  Jan domestic through Feb holds and China is a big key factor.  You know who im routing for.  ?

SW is gonna gross something like 950m here in the US. Perhaps more. Let's call it 1 billion even... that's about what you did with JW just now. SW's OS gross is $546m through Sunday. So right there it's at $1.546 billion. That's why your arbitrary $1.6 billion number (picked because that's just below JURASSIC WORLD) makes no sense at all.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

That moment when you realize Kal still somehow believes TFA could miss Avatar DOM. :P

Oh that's impossible but losing to jpw is still in play.  Still not as great as run as Avatar facing mighty Sherlock Holmes and Alvin and other big holdovers and dealing with snowstorms affecting over 8 states.  So history will deem Avatar the true king between them.  Not to mention in far less showings avtr will still win by800m to over a 1b gap.  Major ass whooping television.  Avtr still eats the force alive paddione.  Enjoy your domestic slay of the beast.  But Avatar2 is coming. 

Edited by Kalel009Shel

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not to fuel Kal's deluded fire, but isn't the 307 number from re-releases shortly after the initial run? That movie's run is confusing to me, I always seem to see conflicting reports. 

Taken from Starwars.com:

5/25/1977
“A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…” Star Wars is initially released in just 32 cinemas, grossing $307,263,857 during its first 18-month run.

Followed quickly by:

7/21/1978 (considered by some as an extended release)
The official first US run ends on 7/20/1978, but Star Wars is re-released the next day due to its overwhelming popularity. This release is extended until 11/7/1978 and grosses an additional $33,908,317.

The other re-releases are not huge amounts until the 1997 re-release.

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-star-wars-saga-us-release-and-re-release-history

I'm happy to correct if the information is wrong.

• Like 3

Just now, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Taken from Starwars.com:

The other re-releases are not huge amounts until the 1997 re-release.

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-star-wars-saga-us-release-and-re-release-history

I'm happy to correct if the information is wrong.

Great, thanks! Wouldn't re-releasing the next day technically just be a theater expansion? Basically it was popular enough to expand again, so yeah I would definitely say that should all count as the initial run. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Oh that's impossible but losing to jpw is still in play.  Still not as great as run as Avatar facing mighty Sherlock Holmes and Alvin and other big holdovers and dealing with snowstorms affecting over 8 states.  So history will deem Avatar the true king between them.  Not to mention in far less showings avtr will still win by800m to over a 1b gap.  Major ass whooping television.  Avtr still eats the force alive paddione.  Enjoy your domestic slay of the beast.  But Avatar2 is coming. 

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

SW is gonna gross something like 950m here in the US. Perhaps more. Let's call it 1 billion even... that's about what you did with JW just now. SW's OS gross is $546m through Sunday. So right there it's at $1.546 billion. That's why your arbitrary $1.6 billion number (picked because that's just below JURASSIC WORLD) makes no sense at all.

No it's not. CNN experts already saying it could fall to 880 to 890 or less. 950 does not round of to a billion lol.  999.8 would.  Lets see you get to 900m before we start saying 950. Some one has high  hopes lol.  Variety said jpw made 1.7b ww.  That looks like rounding off to me.  Fine 1.67b. Lol your film still has nearly 700m to go.  Alot can happen.  So let's sit back and watch shall we.  Currently you just beat jpw with all the money Disney spent on advertising by one day to the billion ww mark.  Fact 

10 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

Tele youre using logic. What have we said before about logic? 

Logic posting  a 302m number.  Like I said sws fan get run out of debates.  The first run was 200plus. They re released it against superman 1 and it lost.  The 190-200plus million is how you get that rubbish 0302 my run.  Lol you guys better watch the doc on the history of sws.  I love eating you up for breakfast.  Haha haha 

3 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

No it's not. CNN experts already saying it could fall to 880 to 890 or less. 950 does not round of to a billion lol.  999.8 would.  Lets see you get to 900m before we start saying 950. Some one has high  hopes lol.  Variety said jpw made 1.7b ww.  That looks like rounding off to me.  Fine 1.67b. Lol your film still has nearly 700m to go.  Alot can happen.  So let's sit back and watch shall we.  Currently you just beat jpw with all the money Disney spent on advertising by one day to the billion ww mark.  Fact 

CNN Experts....

giphy.gif

• Like 2

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=starwars4.htm

Lol at 302 from one run.  Know what your talking about.  Everyone considers the yr  vs superman a real release and sws lost lol.  Still made another 90m or so in 78 though.  Impressive but not as impressive as titanic or avtrs run and what films face in this era