Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

After what I saw in Jungle Book, it wouldn't surprise me MPC is gonna be the second VFX provider of these movies.

The workload will be insane and Weta Digital nearly drowned on the first movie and called ILM to the rescue and plenty other VFX houses.

MPC worked with Weta Digital fon Jungle Book (the whole monkey act).

Robert Legato was the VFX supervisor on Jungle Book.

Legato is Cameron's old VFX supervisor.

Makes sense.

10 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Still curious about how he will handle the 3d thing.

Is he doing the 60FPS thing or not ?

I believe it will be 48fps for action sequences and 24fps for regular scenes, basically dynamic FPS.

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Maybe 20-30%. I think the sequel probably grosses in the TFA range. After that it's all up to the quality of the movies.

You forgot the negative symbol.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I think there's plenty of genuine interest and curiosity in the industry and amongst the nerd-crowd (witness how rapidly the news burst and spread this morning... Variety scrambled to get a piece up so fast it was basically a glorified one-sentence "article" for awhile). In terms of the general audience -- sure, they don't have a clue and don't care. And they won't, until the first full trailers start pounding it down their throat. Then it's all on Cameron's name, track record, and visuals... and who wants to challenge that, at this point?

Disney, that's for damn sure. Hypothetically, if they tried to play chicken and put it on the same date as Avengers or Star Wars, the Mouse would just stare at them, unblinking, as the calendar ticked off day by day.

I'm thinking the first sequel will gross less than $1.5 billion.

6 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

first 5 billion dollar grosser?

One of the Avatar series will be the first to gross $1billion in a single region.

And it will be Avatar 4 in China.

3 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

Dude, even after inflation, Gone with the Wind hasn't grossed $5 billion.

Thats how great James Cameron is. In a single theatrical run an Avatar film will outgross a film which has been re-released in cinema 11+ times over 80 years in a time before home cinema and has dodgey made up numbers.

Edited by IronJimbo

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Thats how great James Cameron is. In a single theatrical run an Avatar film will outgross a film which has been re-released in cinema 11+ times over 80 years in a time before home cinema and has dodgey made up numbers.

I once tried to figure a worldwide inflated gross for GwtW and Titanic. According to my calculations, Tîtanic passed GwtW during its 2012 rerelease, by a margin of about $10 million. So there's that, at least.

Any particular reason you doubt the stated numbers for GwtW?

Edited by johnboy3434

8 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Are you high?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnboy3434 said:

I once tried to figure a worldwide inflated gross for GwtW and Titanic. According to my calculations, Tîtanic passed GwtW during its 2012 rerelease, by a margin of about $10 million. So there's that, at least.

Any particular reason you doubt the stated numbers for GwtW?

They're estimates, I would be suprised if the ticketnumber used in calculations is even withint 10% of the actual number of tickets sold.

"It will be a truly epic saga" - James Cameron

I'm bringing spare underwearing.