Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

While yea, I have no doubt these movies will be good at least, its kind of a shame IMO that Cameron is spending nearly 20 years of his filmmaking career on this series, when honestly he could be doing something much more.

But this is coming from someone who thinks Titanic is like the quintessential movie so there's some bias there. But Cameron is really good at conveying emotion with epics and I just don't think there's enough emotional hook in Avatar

46 minutes ago, aabattery said:

You could argue that it was used to make the mountains float. I think that was the explanation for them?

Yes, unobtanium is a superconductor at room temperature. I think this was literally explained in the movie (been a little while since I've seen it so I'm not 100% positive).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

Yes, unobtanium is a superconductor at room temperature. I think this was literally explained in the movie (been a little while since I've seen it so I'm not 100% positive).

I believe the unobtainable being a superconductor part is explained, but not why the mountains float, a deleted scene was grace explaining why to Jake while they're on a floating mountain.

Edited by IronJimbo

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I believe the unobtainable being a superconductor part is explained, but not why the mountains float, a deleted scene was grace explaining why to Jake while they're on a floating mountain.

It's visually shown earlier when Selfridge introduces unobtanium. Yes, it's not literally spelled out that the mountains are filled with its ore, but that seems a natural conclusion to draw.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

It's visually shown earlier when Selfridge introduces unobtanium. Yes, it's not literally spelled out that the mountains are filled with its ore, but that seems a natural conclusion to draw.

Jim said in an interview that he deliberately show'd not tell'd.

trying to find the scene where unobtanium is explained as a room temperature superconductor, sure it's in there.

i cant find it :bourne:

Edited by IronJimbo

from the original Project 880 script 

Here's how it works: Polyphemis (the massive planet around which Pandora revolves) has a mother of magnetosphere... a naturally occurring magnetic field a million times more powerful than Earth's. As Pandora rotates and revolves through this field, its molten iron core generates its own field, with "cells" or vortices which are small regions of intensely powerful magnetic force at the surface. Added to this unique phenomenon is another... Pandora is blessed with a naturally occurring substance a million times more precious than gold. Its joke name of "unobtanium" has stuck, over the years. Unobtanium is a rare-earth mineral, formed volcanically, which is a room-temperature superconductor.
The room temperature superconductor has been the "snark" of modern materials science... a substance which transmits electricity with zero resistance, but at normal temperatures, rather than the liquid-helium cooled superconductors of human science. Unobtanium does not exist in our solar system. It is unique to Pandora. And it is the reason to go there... the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow bridge.
Another interesting property of superconducting materials is that they will levitate in a powerful magnetic field. This magnetic levitation, or maglev, effect has been used to lift trains and run them without wheels since the late 1980's. On Pandora the effect causes huge outcroppings of unobtanium to rip loose from the surface and float in the magnetic vortices. These floating islands circulate slowly in the magnetic currents, like icebergs at sea, scraping against each other and the towering mesa-like mountains of the region. The Pandorans call them the Thundering Rocks, and the entire area is sacred to them. Which could be a problem, since the humans have come to mine these mountains and get rich. Which is why they are called the Hallelujah Mountains.

Josh stares in awe as they pass over a few of the floating mountains, less than ten miles away on his side of the ship. They float like clouds made of rock, amongst the fixed mountains and swirling cloud structures. Where they are in clear sunlight, they cast hard shadows on the land below. They are overgrown with foliage at the top, and a straggly beard of vines hangs down beneath them like the roots of an air-fern. The sides are shear cliffs. Waterfalls, originating on the mesa-like tops, stream down the sides and dissolve into spray at the bottoms like upside-down geysers. The local peaks and mesas actually project above the level of the craggy underside of the few floating mountains Josh can see, so it's obvious that collisions are inevitable.

1 minute ago, Deuce66 said:

from the original Project 880 script 

Spoiler

Here's how it works: Polyphemis (the massive planet around which Pandora revolves) has a mother of magnetosphere... a naturally occurring magnetic field a million times more powerful than Earth's. As Pandora rotates and revolves through this field, its molten iron core generates its own field, with "cells" or vortices which are small regions of intensely powerful magnetic force at the surface. Added to this unique phenomenon is another... Pandora is blessed with a naturally occurring substance a million times more precious than gold. Its joke name of "unobtanium" has stuck, over the years. Unobtanium is a rare-earth mineral, formed volcanically, which is a room-temperature superconductor.
The room temperature superconductor has been the "snark" of modern materials science... a substance which transmits electricity with zero resistance, but at normal temperatures, rather than the liquid-helium cooled superconductors of human science. Unobtanium does not exist in our solar system. It is unique to Pandora. And it is the reason to go there... the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow bridge.
Another interesting property of superconducting materials is that they will levitate in a powerful magnetic field. This magnetic levitation, or maglev, effect has been used to lift trains and run them without wheels since the late 1980's. On Pandora the effect causes huge outcroppings of unobtanium to rip loose from the surface and float in the magnetic vortices. These floating islands circulate slowly in the magnetic currents, like icebergs at sea, scraping against each other and the towering mesa-like mountains of the region. The Pandorans call them the Thundering Rocks, and the entire area is sacred to them. Which could be a problem, since the humans have come to mine these mountains and get rich. Which is why they are called the Hallelujah Mountains.

Josh stares in awe as they pass over a few of the floating mountains, less than ten miles away on his side of the ship. They float like clouds made of rock, amongst the fixed mountains and swirling cloud structures. Where they are in clear sunlight, they cast hard shadows on the land below. They are overgrown with foliage at the top, and a straggly beard of vines hangs down beneath them like the roots of an air-fern. The sides are shear cliffs. Waterfalls, originating on the mesa-like tops, stream down the sides and dissolve into spray at the bottoms like upside-down geysers. The local peaks and mesas actually project above the level of the craggy underside of the few floating mountains Josh can see, so it's obvious that collisions are inevitable.

Josh Sully.. now that sounded weird.

15 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Jim said in an interview that he deliberately show'd not tell'd.

trying to find the scene where unobtanium is explained as a room temperature superconductor, sure it's in there.

i cant find it :bourne:

It's possible I picked it up from interviews about the movie, maybe? Or maybe in one of the deleted scenes?

Either way, at its most basic: the metal is shown to "float" (on Selfridge's desk). We know the company is there to mine it. We see mountains that also float. Simple conclusion: the mountains have unobtanium within them.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

Unlss there is a deleted scene im aware of im oretty sure that is not explained. Good idea though

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

I stand corrected -- I guess this is stated in the scriptment and background material but not specifically in the movie itself.

Yeah seems that way, I've heard him refer to it in an interview and it's in my activist survival guide.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

While yea, I have no doubt these movies will be good at least, its kind of a shame IMO that Cameron is spending nearly 20 years of his filmmaking career on this series, when honestly he could be doing something much more.

It is very true, then again there was nothing stopping him from making other movies since 2009. And there aren't many directors his age who remain at the top of the game... He obviously feels he can do something special with the Avatar sequels.

(...as opposed to Alita :jeb!:)

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is very true, then again there was nothing stopping him from making other movies since 2009. And there aren't many directors his age who remain at the top of the game... He obviously feels he can do something special with the Avatar sequels.

(...as opposed to Alita :jeb!:)

I've come around to Rodriguez, I think he is someone.. very special. He can do it.

Edited by IronJimbo

22 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

He's having the time of his life playing in a universe that he created and has full control over. You might not like the result -- obviously we have our own subjective opinions about art -- but it's hard to get annoyed at him for it.

My knee-jerk reaction in 2012 or what ever was that it was a bad thing, I wanted to see what his vision stretched

My, my I've come around. He's doing something huge here, this is his baby and he's taking it to the it's maximum heights. Avatar a truly a cinema experience like no other, when he replicates that for the sequels not once, twice, thrice but thoyice (made that up) he could end up with something incredible.

by the way it looks like XR rates are becoming more and more favourable for Avatar 2 in 2020, sorry to bring this up Tele ;) Suppose it's win/win for you tho Tele, it makes $3b then wow! let's celebrate by making jimbo golden, or you get free gold for a couple month.

Edited by IronJimbo

Lets also not forget that Jim has achieved things outside of film that most people would consider lifetime achievements alone (patenting tech, solo dive of the MT, discovering previously undiscovered bacteria etc.), I think he deserves a little slack in the getting shit done department. 

• Like 1