Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Box Office reddit seems to think Avatar 3 might be moved from 2021 to accomdate Star Wars.

:hahaha:

Well yeah, seeing that it will be Disney property soon I could definitely see that. Depends on just how big AVATAR 2 will be next year.

8 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

A small part of me wants Alita to bomb just so that people underestimate Jim even more, then when it explodes past $6B WW I can sit back and laugh. 

LOL! Way to cover your bases man. You've now established a way to weasel out if it does indeed flop. 

You Cameron fans are clowns, honestly. To think you guys were the ones yesterday talking about alpha/beta male stuff. Be a man and just own up if the movie bombs.

• Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Well yeah, seeing that it will be Disney property soon I could definitely see that. Depends on just how big AVATAR 2 will be next year.

I've got a sneaky feeling it will big enough to keep the December 2021 slot.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Perhaps that's not the issue...

Avatar 2 will still be in the top 10 December 2021, releasing Avatar 3 then might be cannibalistic!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Hey, if AVATAR looks to be the more solid bet going forward, I wouldn't blame Disney for giving that franchise the money printing December slot. I just want to see if Disney and Lucasfilm can recover with Episode IX or if there's really no going back after TLJ.

Just now, JB33 said:

Hey, if AVATAR looks to be the more solid bet going forward, I wouldn't blame Disney for giving that franchise the money printing December slot. I just want to see if Disney and Lucasfilm can recover with Episode IX or if there's really no going back after TLJ.

Even if Star Wars 9 makes a gaint comeback from Solo and TLJ and makes say over $2b, that won't be enough to boot Avatar 3 off the Dec 2021 slot.

Then you're forgetting that the contract has already been made between Jim and Fox and Disney have now taken ownership of that contract. So this talk of how much more Avatar 2 will obiviously make than Star Wars 9 is void because the date's could be contractly set.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Even if Star Wars 9 makes a gaint comeback from Solo and TLJ and makes say over $2b, that won't be enough to boot Avatar 3 off the Dec 2021 slot.

Then you're forgetting that the contract has already been made between Jim and Fox and Disney have now taken ownership of that contract. So this talk of how much more Avatar 2 will obiviously make than Star Wars 9 is void because the date's could be contractly set.

The contract stipulates certain release dates?

8 minutes ago, JB33 said:

The contract stipulates certain release dates?

I highly suspect so but it's not public knowledge. I misworded the previous post aswell.

should have been to be clearer

" So this talk of how much more Avatar 2 will obiviously make than Star Wars 9 could be void if the dates are contractly set. "

Edited by IronJimbo

16 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I highly suspect so but it's not public knowledge. I misworded the previous post aswell.

should have been to be clearer

" So this talk of how much more Avatar 2 will obiviously make than Star Wars 9 could be void if the dates are contractly set. "

We will see how it all shakes out. Selfishly I want to see them continue with Star Wars in that slot. It's only been one year after three straight with a Stars Wars film there but I already missed the presence of one this December.

24 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I think Disney will want to see how IX shakes out before greenlighting any new installments. They've publicly acknowledged that Solo's performance made them decide to hedge their bets a little. I could however see Avatar 3 being delayed for other reasons.

Pretty much. Ultimately we have to see how EPISODE IX does next December and then see how AVATAR 2 does in December 2020.

I feel like Avatar and Star Wars will take the December slots whenever one isn't appearing. Anytime an Avatar movie is not on, Star Wars will take its place. If the current slate stays this way, then 2022 will be vacant, and there will be a 3-year gap from IX. It's enough time where there will be less fatigue and a hunger for new Star Wars content. Although I doubt Disney will try to do "one a year", at least for the short term, so 2023 might go to another movie.

So basically:

2020-Avatar 2

2021-Avatar 3

2022-Star Wars (The GOT guys or you-know-who #1)

2023-Mary Poppins: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

2024-Avatar 4

2025-Avatar 5

2026-Star Wars (GOT guys or you-know-who #2 or #3 if they want to put one of the movies in summer 2024)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I think Disney will want to see how IX shakes out before greenlighting any new installments. They've publicly acknowledged that Solo's performance made them decide to hedge their bets a little. I could however see Avatar 3 being delayed for other reasons.

Other reasons? Live-action is all done and dusted for Avatar 3 already.

10 hours ago, JB33 said:

You Cameron fans are clowns, honestly. To think you guys were the ones yesterday talking about alpha/beta male stuff. Be a man and just own up if the movie bombs.

Learn to read. I said nothing of the sort. Although I guess it makes sense for someone with a white nationalist in their avatar to so easily stereotype people. :jeb!:

• Like 1