Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

21 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

There's always going to be somebody that comes in and says that it has video game graphics. They did the same for the first one as well. Best to just ignore it as that person doesn't want a genuine discussion.

If video games looked like this, I'd play more

Trailer looks fantastic. It looks like the first movie dialled up to 11 which is what Cameron does best. Only thing i wished we had more of is human characters but people will go to this for the unique creatures and imagery. It's not just the CGI that made Avatar special but the imagination behind the people using the tools and it seems that sense of wonder is still very much alive. This will be the highest grossing movie of all time, it's filling a massive empty void. 

Films like this make me realise how much Disney squandered Star Wars. You have a universe full of planets and we never got to see a planet as interesting as pandora. Imagine this much detail brought into a franchise like Star Wars

Great trailer. Humans getting the shaft again, though.

I can see the complaints of this being a rehash of the first. Some plot points are very similar but that seems very surface level thinking. I'm sure there's more to it and the context is different. One could complain that T2 is very similar to T1 in that regard, too. Anyway, it's been 13 years since the original, i trust there will be lots of new things to discover in this one and the sequels that will follow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lion Roar said:

This trailer doesn't exactly get me excited. I still have the same concerns as before: the Navi all look the same, plot looks like a rehash of the first movie, and the whole thing looks like a video game cut scene. When does the embargo lift? I'm really curious about reviews for this. 

TFA was an insulting replica of A New Hope, still got stupendous reviews and claimed the top DOM movie ever. Like TFA, this doesn't need an overly complex plot. A simple rehash with a twist is fine, afterall it's difficult to make a movie appeal to every overseas country and still please hardcore sci fi fans that grew up on mind benders like The Matrix. As for reviews, A1 is ranked as high as an average MCU and lower than TFA (this amazes me) so I'll take their opinion with a grain of salt. James Cameron being as arrogant as he is will undoubtely make a few critics biased too. This will be the first blockbuster in a while where I wont even bother checking critic reviews

11 minutes ago, SullyJake said:

As for reviews, A1 is ranked as high as an average MCU and lower than TFA (this amazes me) so I'll take their opinion with a grain of salt.

I know its from an era where it got less reviews but the first Avatar has an 83 on Metacritic, higher than every Marvel movie except Black Panther and higher than TFA. That's nothing to be sneezed at, not many blockbusters get over 80. 

Edited by Fanboy
  • Like 2

Anyone has a link for the trailer in 4k uncompressed?

edit: the ratio between like and dislike is better than the first offical trailer 113k likes vs. 3k dislikes

Edited by dignam

2 minutes ago, dignam said:

Anyone has a link for the trailer in 4k uncompressed?

Somebody posted a link to the uncompressed 1080p, 2gb file. It's not 4k but a huge step up from youtube...

4 hours ago, omark said:

No but here the download link for 1080p uncompressed trailer at 150mb/s bitrate

https://files.muffinworld.net/share/bsmuzVyl

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Not sure if there will be an official 4k version even. Was there for the previous trailer?

there was leaked 4k IMAX version of first teaser in good quality here, but last two trailers are only in 1080p in prores, and shitty 4k on some youtube channels.

https://thedigitaltheater.com/avatar-the-way-of-water-2022/

Edited by adaros
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Not sure if there will be an official 4k version even. Was there for the previous trailer?

Yes there where 4k versions of the previous trailers.

edit: sry my bad. They where just the prores  version 🥲

Edited by dignam

I guess no one can know yet enough to answer my questions, but I still have to wonder will Avatar 2 have:

Spaceship scenes/orbit entry scenes?

Humans piloting avatar creatures as a meaningful plot device? (so not just a token scene)

A large number of scenes dealing with the plot from the human perspective?

A mass battle scene involving dozens of human vehicles/large mechs/aircraft (not just seacraft)  

53 minutes ago, eridani said:

I guess no one can know yet enough to answer my questions, but I still have to wonder will Avatar 2 have:

Spaceship scenes/orbit entry scenes?

Humans piloting avatar creatures as a meaningful plot device? (so not just a token scene)

A large number of scenes dealing with the plot from the human perspective?

A mass battle scene involving dozens of human vehicles/large mechs/aircraft (not just seacraft)  

- Probably as a part of the intro getting the audience up to speed.

- Avatars were for diplomacy and the RDA is done playing nice. Avatars have been replaced by Recoms

- Maybe. There are a bunch of scientist characters we've seen nothing of. Edie Falco is playing a general and we've seen nothing of her.

- Maybe