Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, watcher1232 said:

Cameron was so involved with Alita (with his name on it way more than Rodriguez) including writing it and overseeing so much of it that to act like it would've done better if he was in the director's seat is disingenuous at best.

You've already been warned by @Eric is a furry - take the trolling somewhere else. We may all be 'Cameron CHUDs' but we're keeping it about Avatar here. Right Eric? 

Also can we all just take a moment to appreciate the fact that Avatar is going to be the first to break 3 billies? 

Not once. Not twice. BUT THRICE. 

1 minute ago, Reddroast said:

That might be an issue. 

AFAIK there don't exist projectors that can switch between the frame rate they're projecting. So who knows - we'll see, I assume Cameron et al. have tested this. 

Edited by JamesCameronScholar

7 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I know numerous people who can't do 3d because it gives them headaches. If the hfr adds on to that it could be a pretty big issue

HFR actually helps reducing issues people have with 3D. The thing is, 3D clashes with the terrible strobing of 24fps, smothing things out with HFR, especially in fast scenes, helps in avoiding headaches that some people get.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

Cameron was so involved with Alita (with his name on it way more than Rodriguez) including writing it and overseeing so much of it that to act like it would've done better if he was in the director's seat is disingenuous at best.

I don't know if it would've done what that club was saying but I definitely think the quality would've been better.

OTOH perhaps he didn't have enough faith in it under his own name that he passed it off, lol

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

You've already been warned by @Eric is a furry - take the trolling somewhere else. We may all be 'Cameron CHUDs' but we're keeping it about Avatar here. Right Eric? 

Also can we all just take a moment to appreciate the fact that Avatar is going to be the first to break 3 billies? 

First to 1 billion: CHECK

First to 2 billies: CHECK

First to 3 billies: IMMINENT

Will be the first to 4 aswell.

• Like 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

First to 1 billion: CHECK

First to 2 billies: CHECK

First to 3 billies: IMMINENT

Will be the first to 4 aswell.

When this cinematic history is written people are going to look back and think James Cameron had cheat codes to the universe when it comes to his box office record breaking ability. 

10 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It's not trolling to say stuff you don't want to hear lol.

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

When this cinematic history is written people are going to look back and think James Cameron had cheat codes to the universe when it comes to his box office record breaking ability. 

I'd put an asterisk to it due to all re- releases but it's still quite a feat

Just now, Reddroast said:

No one puts asterisks on Gone with the Wind being release 10+ times when they're talking about it being inflation adjusted top dog. No reason why the same won't be true for Avatar. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

Single theatrical release has always been a minor part of box office discussion, why would it matter more now?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Bottom line is on the official record James Cameron didn't direct Alita and trying to draw a conclusion about the Avatar sequels from that movie's performance is also disingenuous

As I said in the CinemaCon thread, I'm in the middle in terms of my thoughts on how it will do. It was more a warning to the same people who made big statements before Alita to not repeat that mistake lest they end up the way that did, but I won't say more on that front.

11 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

Not at all. Cameron surely had some influence but he only showed up once on set and made it clear to Rodriguez that it was his movie. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

No one puts asterisks on Gone with the Wind being release 10+ times when they're talking about it being inflation adjusted top dog. No reason why the same won't be true for Avatar. 

It was a different time. How films were released was MUCH different back then and it made sense to re-release films in theatres. That ship sailed when home video became a major player

1 minute ago, Alexdube said:

Not at all. Cameron surely had some influence but he only showed up once on set and made it clear to Rodriguez that it was his movie. 

It's an account less than a month old. Trolling. Probably an older banned user and has already been warned by the mods. Ignore them. 

We all know Jim is king of the billies. 

8 minutes ago, watcher1232 said:

Being a producer is something completely different than being the director. Cameron wrote a treatment of the script a long time ago when he was supposed to do the film but the actual movie script was done by Rodriguez. And he was off hands during filming. It would have been a completely different movie with Cameron at the helm.

Now whether it would have done better is anyone's guess. I really like the film we got and it's a shame we probably won't get a sequel.

• Like 1