Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Alien was more successful than Aliens and The Terminator wasn't a huge boxoffice hit, Terminator 2 had nowhere to go but up.

No it wasn't. You don't increase 425%+ because you had nowhere to go but up.

• Like 2

I'd be a little more interested in an Avatar sequel if there was just one. I don't give a shit about Jake Sully and the female-whose-name-I-can't-remember nearly enough to follow them for another whole trilogy.

Thankfully Hate box millions up millions dont share that settlement lol..Expect 3B to 4B+ or much for the sequel

No it wasn't. You don't increase 425%+ because you had nowhere to go but up.

You're using Terminator 2 as a comparison for Avatar 2, which just doesn't work.  The Terminator wasn't a big boxoffice hit(unlike Avatar).  And yes, Terminator 2 had nowhere to go but up by a considerable amount, it had a huge budget(biggest at the time) and Arnold Schwarzenegger's and James Cameron's star power had grown a lot since then.  The fact that Terminator 2 is widely considered a better movie helped a lot to.

Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

You're using Terminator 2 as a comparison for Avatar 2, which just doesn't work.  The Terminator wasn't a big boxoffice hit(unlike Avatar).  And yes, Terminator has nowhere to go but up by a considerable amount, it had a huge budget(biggest at the time) and Arnold Schwarzenegger's and James Cameron's star power had grown a lot since then.  The fact that Terminator 2 is widely considered a better movie helped a lot to.

And you know what A2 won't be a better movie. Still works looking at multi's.

• Like 1

Only me thinking that Avatar 2 won't gross as much as the first? I mean the first one was very hyped because of being the first 3D movie and people mostly went to watch it because of that, not because they wanted to see it for what it was. So, until all people really loved Avatar 1, I don't see an increase very possible, at least not DOM.

• Like 1

Look at STAR WARS and EMPIRE... probably our best comparison right now (domestically, at least). You have the original: a juggernaut of a movie that set new visual standards and shattered box-office records, and was a science-fiction film that got nominated for a bunch of Oscars, including Best Picture. You have a collection of characters that people fell in love with. You have a new and exciting universe that people wanted to see more of.

And then EMPIRE comes out and -- in many ways -- is superior to the first film. Yet despite that, it fell 30%+ in terms of gross. There's only so many mountains out there, not every single one is gonna be Mt. Everest, *especially* if it's a sequel.

True but in all fairness Lucas is no James Cameron is creatic epics that draw in domestic and OS audiences consistently, Cameron my friend has consistently done in totally different genres. If he can make people watch a overdone story and it becomes the most popular one run king of them all , then speed fwd and the same  man makes the world care to to see a film about a  paraplegic jumping into a blue cat body and an alien world that haters deemed fern gully and would flop into a near 3B worldwind thats takes you as far away from the real world  experiential tech. WHat will he do when he improves the tech further, ads even better story and music and shows even more amazing parts of Pandora and even new Moons and locations.

If he can do what he did with Titanic an now Avatar(A Bizarre Tour De Force of imagination and technical mastery, then James can truly do anything!!)  This film as it stands is a near 2billion+ WW lock, now what happens if everyone comes backs and see this film even more times..

May go well beyond Neo and myself prediction easily Telemachos. I dont see this one making less than Avatar WW..

• Like 1

Only me thinking that Avatar 2 won't gross as much as the first? I mean the first one was very hyped because of being the first 3D movie and people mostly went to watch it because of that, not because they wanted to see it for what it was. So, until all people really loved Avatar 1, I don't see an increase very possible, at least not DOM.

Agreed IDK why people think it is going to increase. I am thinking 600m. 

Hi Chd :). Avatar wasjnt the first 3D movie, there have been many...Avatar is the first film that triggered Sense memory in a real  sense where folks feel like they did leave our planet in many cases and enter a whole new world. To think Cameron wont push the envelope further with new tech and improvements in story and trippy  jaw dropping visuals and other things is not logical.

If Cameron didnt have the unbeatable Titanic and then beat Titanic with his very next film, then those ANH vs ESB comparisons would have merit.. In Cameron's case the rules do not apply..

• Like 2

You must be one of the very few percent of people that would ever make a statement like that lol. But glad your opinion isnt shared by any moviegoer that likes quality films. :dunce: :dunce:

yeah, minority or no, I'll take "You're terminated, fucker" over John Conner's incessant squawking and balling.

Edited by Herr Mike
  • Like 1