Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

Probably, in fact i wouldnt be surprised if they do what they did with the first film and release an extended version very late in its run.

Although i suppose that wont be possible with Weta already hard at work on A3, unless they had already done the FX for the extra A2 scenes.

I think Cameron works like that. He always have these extended cuts in mind.

59 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

This is definitely James Cameron's weakest movie and the worst script he's directed.  Its really fucking long with significant pacing issues(the first movie had tight pacing) and the action(especially that climax, seriously it was lame as hell) aren't nearly as effective as Avatar 1's(probably the most surprising part considering this is James Cameron).  Also, there's no emotional high point like the 9/11 style tree collapse in the first movie with Zoe Saldana crying over her dead father(there's a moment where they try to replicate this feeling but it comes out of nowhere and almost feels tacked on).  The ending is also too long and drawn out.  Oh too much recycled music.

I'd honestly be surprised if this has near the staying power of the first movie at the BO.  I can put my feelings about Avatar 1 aside and recognize it was very successful in what it set out to do.  This movie however is mostly a slog that feels much longer than its already considerable runtime.

I know some people here won't believe me but I did go into this with an open mind, so much so I even decided to give the 3D a shot(the way Jimbo wants me to see it) and I wouldn't recommend it at all, it gave me a low-grade headache for the first hour before my brain finally got used to it and it adds nothing.

I agree with you 100%. I saw the first Avatar five times in theaters. This is just an overload g echo of the original. I mean, it was okay, but not Cameron at his finest. I think the general audience will feel the same way. It's the holiday, so it's legs will be good regardless, but not as good as the original.

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

It was one of the most fun, if not the most fun time to track a movie's box office. It didn't drop more than 30% until its 10th weekend.

I also do not know why I predicted it would win the year. I can't even remember if the trailers had me sold. I just trusted Jim would do it again. 😅

Shoot it was Avatar day August 2009. Me and my friend Rich and my brother. Said holy s@@spirit. This guy has got another Titanic.

Nothing like Avatar 16min experience demo. Wow

1 minute ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Shoot it was Avatar day August 2009. Me and my friend Rich and my brother. Said holy s@@spirit. This guy has got another Titanic.

Nothing like Avatar 16min experience demo. Wow

Ah, correct. There was an Avatar Day. 😅

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

So the action and especially the climax is bad to you, which goes against all the positive reviews so far (and even some of the negative ones). No emotional scenes, yet everyone is saying its very emotional, even people on this site.

the run time felt super long for you, but a lot of reactions are saying it surprisingly flies by. And so on.

No offence buddy, but you were always going to hate it, we could of told you that before you even saw it.

You;'re entitled to your opinion, and the first film had more of its fair share of haters, while i thought it was a beautiful movie in every way.

I suppose its a good thing that we are all differnet people, as what a boring world it would be if we all liked the same stuff. It still doesnt stop from thinking some poeple are a bit dead inside when they hate on AVATAR.

o·pin·ion
/əˈpiny(ə)n/

noun
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

4 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Not after seeing the boxoffice numbers

The boxoffice articles this weekend will be negative, which will kill the movie.

Happened with Kong. 

Er you realize A3 is already filmed, and Weta are doing the effects as we speak?.

Even if A2 only made 500mil worldwide, A3 is happening.

The question was always about 4 and 5 being given the go ahead, not 3.

• Like 1

From Deadline:

Through this AM, box office analytics corp EntTelligence reports that the preview night and opening day of Avatar 2 represent only 53% sales are for opening weekend, “which is a very good thing,” reports the org.

“It means that this movie is not front loaded with steep box office drops.  By way of comparison, a superhero movie often has 70+% of PreSales in for Preview Night/Opening Day.  Lower than 70% is a strong indicator of success. 53% eclipses that benchmark,” reports EntTelligence.

Another indicator that Avatar 2 is not frontloaded: 23% of all presales are for after opening weekend.  The film’s subsequent days of release, after opening weekend, are doing better than Spider-Man: No Way Home.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

I agree with you 100%. I saw the first Avatar five times in theaters. This is just an overload g echo of the original. I mean, it was okay, but not Cameron at his finest. I think the general audience will feel the same way. It's the holiday, so it's legs will be good regardless, but not as good as the original.

I would argue the trailers for Avatar were much better too. This has only upgraded CGI. I think the audience reaction to this in some key markets will be muted. And honestly if all you can deliver is a solid product after 13 years wait, you have a problem. JC himself says no point to do a sequel unless you can top the original. He failed here both critically and commercially as per reviews and openig numbers. Ultimately, my personal opinion will matter more once I watch the film next weekend.

This whole thing reminds me of Alita. I kinda gave it a hard time, buy when i watched it, I was like damn, this deserved atleast 600+M WW. It would have done close to that if the studio & key players had stuck to december release date. Those christmas legs would have helped it. Idiots.

Edited by marveldcfox

2 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I know you're just trying to get reactions out of people with these posts, but i wont accomodate.

I'll just say one thing, its going to blow Wakanda Forever out of the water.

Not really interested in getting reaction. Just sharing my frustration and anger. See my post, which I edited.

16 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Are you for real?

I think it's BkB in disguise.

Lol. 

Let's put Marvel fox on ignore. Obviously he's not in the same world we are living in.

Real World stats so far for Avatar 2s run to 2.5 -3b plus WW. Looking good so far

Avatar 170-200m OW and a 130% aheadnof Avatar OS. Everything pointing to legendary legs on both fronts. I mean this film won over Part one haters.

I love it..  A spanking of other films with a 6-8x multiplier domestic coming up Pandorians!!