Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

What if the first movie crashed and burned (180m dom, 750m ww) and received a gigantic "meh" from worldwide audiences and critics alike ?

What if it didn't resonated at all with GA ?

45% on, RT, 6.2 on IMDB ...

Fox would be in a dire situation with 2 more movies to release no matter what.

I am probably one of the most devoted fan of King Jim on this site but I have multiple scenarios in my head where Jim fails on this one.

Being over confident is never good and I really don't know why Cameron thinks there aren't more interesting things to do than to devote 6 years of his life to the Avatar world. And I am saying this as a big fan of Avatar of course.

What more can you say about the environement that hasn't been said in the first movie ? The first movie was  straightforward, we killed Gaia and were ready to do the same on Pandora, what more can you say about the issue I wonder ?

Do people actually care  about the NA'vis as likable characters ?

This really could turn as a big letdown because the first movie made too much money and basically everybody in the movie business world ( corporate suits executives that know nothing about movies and see life only through dollar bills) think Cameron is a God ( he kinda is though) and he can't fail.

Overconfidence is never good.

Never.

Well, they should take a look at the history of a movie called The Abyss which barely made its money back a long time after its release.

Or maybe I am loosing faith and it makes 3b ww without even trying , who knows ?

Edited by The Futurist

Nah, I think THE HOBBIT has shown even with reduced interest in a franchise (and weaker films to boot) it's still totally profitable to crank out a few more. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where the news AVATARs didn't collectively turn a profit.

I don't think Cameron is being over-confident. He's never proclaimed the new trilogy will set records or cure cancer or anything. It's an entire world and ecosystem he created and he's having fun playing around in his universe... which, at this point, is the only universe of his that he has total control over. So it's understandable that he'd like to explore and investigate and play in the sandbox.

In terms of other stories to tell, there are all sorts, ranging from dark to uplifting. The most obvious is what the Terran response to AVATAR 1 will be. There are also all sorts of other aspects to alien culture and tribal interactions that could be explored, not to mention wilder ideas (like, off the top of my head, Sully returning to Earth as a Na'vi ambassador on a peace mission).

Think in terms of early pulps and serialized SF adventures: Doc Smith and his Lensman stories; Edgar Rice Burroughs—Tarzan and John Carter; Robert E. Howard—Conan; Isaac Asimov—the Foundation series. There are countless examples of a well-created world opening up the possibilities for all sorts of adventures.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

Whe you have a at least one Billion $ (production and marketing costs of the whole trilogy will be in that area) investment looming over your head, trust me you are confident in what you are doing and Cameron is a confident man because he s very good at a LOT of things, he really is a kinda genius of his own kind with the brains of the engineer and the heart of the artist combined into one awesome man.

I mean, he even changed his mind about 3d recently saying some movies don't need 3d and what he was saying about 3d in 2009 didn't came true so he s right a lot of times on a lot of things but not every time.

Edited by The Futurist

It's easy for us to toss numbers around like it's no big deal cause were fanboys, but in the end, look how hard it was for TA to achieve 1.5B WW??? Asking a movie to make twice that in 3B WW is no easy feat and when the novelty of 3D has been beaten to death, AVATAR 2 will just end up being another standard sequel like anything else and this is coming from someone who's finally conceeded that no MARVEL Solo movie will ever gross 400M Domestic unless RDJ drops in.. Now I know Kal is the biggest fan of this with incredibly high hopes at AVATAR 2 grossing 3B WW or more and in the end, you're setting yourself up for a major disappointment by not lowering your expectations and I guess the same could be said for TA2, but doubtful given how popular MARVEL is right now and TA2 will most likely be the 1st sequel that's flatline in the domestic box office compared to the 1st movie and makes just as much, but that's RARE..

No both Avatar 2 and Avengers will drop. The specialty of the first film has worn off. 

I'm glad to see that Cameron is just as nerdy as us. In his Reddit AMA today, someone asked him who would win in a three-way fight, an alien, the T-800, or a Na'vi. His answer:

Is the T-800 armed or not armed?An Armed T-800 with a plasma rifle will clean house, all it has to do is shoot the Alien Queen, and have it bleed on the Na'vi. I would think that all three of them unarmed. Queen beats Na'vi. Queen beats T-800, because the T-800 would tear the arm off a queen, which would dissolve the mantel and shut down the cyborg.Now a Na'vi riding a leonopteryx, or a Na'vi riding a thanataur, that would be a different story.

• Like 7

To be honest you guys!He has spent 6 years developing the script!This will not be a bad movie! I think it will be great!For the first avatar he was focusing on the technology needed to create this world......And since he developed it,he has focused this time round on the story!....am sure he has heard about the complaints! About the movies story!Which is why i without a doubt think these sequels will be great!

Neo Im sending  Colonel Quaddritz after you my friend for your nack of beating me to

Juggernaut 2016 news!! Heh heh.. And yeaahhhawww. Its all coming together bud!!

Watch how us Pandorians make history again domesticallly and WW(Avatar 2 surpasses 3Billion worldwide

with no end in site. The film has already made over 850M domestic and is still bringing in mega bucks

for James Cameron and Fox.)