Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

I understand that it's a fool's endeavor to doubt Cameron ever again.  And I'm sure Avatar 2 through whatever will be monster hits.  And the numbers speak for themselves for the first movie.  But I don't ever hear Avatar talked about in the same rapturous praise or tone, that the Avengers, Dark Knight, Harry Potter or Hunger Games films by audiences.

• Like 1

I understand that it's a fool's endeavor to doubt Cameron ever again.  And I'm sure Avatar 2 through whatever will be monster hits.  And the numbers speak for themselves for the first movie.  But I don't ever hear Avatar talked about in the same rapturous praise or tone, that the Avengers, Dark Knight, Harry Potter or Hunger Games films by audiences.

Avatar is not a fanboy or a fangirl movie.

• Like 2

It's like BKB vs Squaremaster all over again, except with worse grammar and less underlying sexual tension.

Edited by Za Rukaio!

BS.The Avengers are all every bit as archetypal as the Avatar figures. Every single one. The Hulk, BW, Iron Man, you name it. Comic books are all about archetypes. And what you call humor, some people call Joss Whedon's hackneyed humour. Say what you want about Avatar, but don't trybto act as if The Avengers cardboard figures, symbols of comic books' tropes were razor-sharp character studies full of nuance and complex observational humor. Nope. They were comic book tropes spouting off Whedonesque jokes.

I don't think you understood my post. Yes, the characters in TA are archetypes, but Whedon made them human. He gave them humor, individual character arcs, weaknesses (Banner admitting he attempted suicide), etc. There was none of that in Avatar. Every character, from the hero who goes native to the genocidal villain to the proud warrior rival was completely one-dimensional. Cameron could have lifted them straight out of any classic hero's journey. Zoe Saldana at least managed to inject some personality into her underwritten role, but poor Sam Worthington was so bland he made Luke Skywalker look like Han Solo.

I don't think you understood my post. Yes, the characters in TA are archetypes, but Whedon made them human. He gave them humor, individual character arcs, weaknesses (Banner admitting he attempted suicide), etc.

What character arc apart Stark is an egoistical douche at the beginning that happens to let  Captain leads and accepts to be part of the team once shit hit the fan?

Cap America got no real arc, he's pretty much the Cap we expect him to be since the Germany scene at the beginning. Thor got no arc. You realize Hulk got no real arc when he utters "he's always angry" line so he was pretty much in the same state of mind as the beginning of the movie then. Black Widow got no arc. Hawkeye's arc is being Loki's minion by a touch of a magic spear then not anymore with a bang on his head.

In Avatar, you got Sully who is a crippled soldier, an outcast rejected by his pairs, a brat sent by a paternalist superior to spy natives as an avatar then became enamoured with that new life and those natives that will teach him respect, trust, caring for his environment and his fellows to mature enough so he can become a leader after his "treason" (against his superior and the natives) and looking after forgiveness from his adopted home. The outcast at the beginning becomes a leader of a community serving a purpose, understanding and finding his place in that world at the end literally experimenting a reincarnation. That's a character arc.

You got Neytiri who is an angry young princess that nurtures some kind of deep hatred for humans, reluctant to teach her people's ways to this invader then comes to stand by his side slowly realizing there's good in that brat so she removes her blinders to open her heart. That's a character arc.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

I feel like this thread is cancer-stricken every time BKB is here. 

Just remember his posts are ludcrious and we shut him down everytime.. If he chooses to be in denial so be it.. Its already on the wall that Avengers may not even exceed the first..But our Juggernaut 2...Well thats another matter entirely.

It will be a worldwide event that you must bring your grandma and grandpa too(if they havent already beaten you to the theater to see a Cameron event!!)

What character arc apart Stark is an egoistical douche at the beginning that happens to let  Captain leads and accepts to be part of the team once shit hit the fan?

Cap America got no real arc, he's pretty much the Cap we expect him to be since the Germany scene at the beginning. Thor got no arc. You realize Hulk got no real arc when he utters "he's always angry" line so he was pretty much in the same state of mind as the beginning of the movie then. Black Widow got no arc. Hawkeye's arc is being Loki's minion by a touch of a magic spear then not anymore with a bang on his head.

In Avatar, you got Sully who is a crippled soldier, an outcast rejected by his pairs, a brat sent by a paternalist superior to spy natives as an avatar then became enamoured with that new life and those natives that will teach him respect, trust, caring for his environment and his fellows to mature enough so he can become a leader after his "treason" (against his superior and the natives) and looking after forgiveness from his adopted home. The outcast at the beginning becomes a leader of a community serving a purpose, understanding and finding his place in that world at the end literally experimenting a reincarnation. That's a character arc.

You got Neytiri who is an angry young princess that nurtures some kind of deep hatred for humans, reluctant to teach her people's ways to this invader then comes to stand by his side slowly realizing there's good in that brat so she removes her blinders to open her heart. That's a character arc.

Owned BKB and other haters yet again Dash budy...And its in that spirtuality and the emotional ride is why 50-90 yr olds came out to Avatar and Titanic... It is also why those missing golden age and silver age moviegoers dont come out for Avenger films.

None of these comic films have yet  to pierce ones emotional innards  as fiercely  as Avatar or the great one (the Titan!!)

(Cameron at his best)...And I dare say, no one may do so again besides James Fucking Cameron..

Deal with it BKB and all the ant-Cameron Marvel loonies.. We steal your thunder the year after ..If Man of Steel 2 doesnt prove bigger than Avengers before Dec of course :)

• Like 1

I don't think you understood my post. Yes, the characters in TA are archetypes, but Whedon made them human. He gave them humor, individual character arcs, weaknesses (Banner admitting he attempted suicide), etc. There was none of that in Avatar. Every character, from the hero who goes native to the genocidal villain to the proud warrior rival was completely one-dimensional. Cameron could have lifted them straight out of any classic hero's journey. Zoe Saldana at least managed to inject some personality into her underwritten role, but poor Sam Worthington was so bland he made Luke Skywalker look like Han Solo.

I thin most would agree, especially when you see the SE of Avatar that shows more into the mind of Jake Sully or watch his journey as Dash said a reject, always people telling him  what he cant do. At his core is heart of hero who wants to stand for something.

Sam worthingthon's character long rests in everyones mind and its been years Darth. How much people you think will rememberr Avenger heroes if Disney didnt bombard us with the solo films on cable and everywhere else.

Come on now, what your saying dont even sound right. .Avatar doesnt need to be on every channel, its a film whos characters struck a chord folks committed sucide.. Avengers is not even in that sort of league in quality  guy.. Not even close.

I saw no tears at the Avengers movie, though I have to admit I saw tears during CAP 2..Better than all the marvel solo movies and up there with SM2, TDK,Avengers as the most elite  of them all. Special mentions to MOS, Captain America , Batman Begins ,SM1(2002) and Iron man :)

Edited by Superman001

Just remember his posts are ludcrious and we shut him down everytime.. If he chooses to be in denial so be it.. Its already on the wall that Avengers may not even exceed the first..But our Juggernaut 2...Well thats another matter entirely.

It will be a worldwide event that you must bring your grandma and grandpa too(if they havent already beaten you to the theater to see a Cameron event!!)

Glad to see you're above making such exaggerations.....

James Cameron says script has 2 months to go and confident he will exceed the audiences expectations with the world's most massive sequel!!

Avatar 2 Movie News: ‘The Terminator’ Director James Cameron Announces Script For The Sequel Will Be Done In Less Than 2 Months, Hopes To Release It On 3D

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/88829/20140421/avatar-2-movie-news.htm

Well 2 months to go Neo, Dash, Kayom, Empire...Holy shit.. Its about time... Any idea on what the story is going to be about. I just keeping getting this vibe Neturyi may be taken prisoner and Jake may somehow have to make the jump back into his human body for some reason to be able to save her.. Perhaps danger of their children in this one..  Also wondering if Quaddritz is some sort of super genetically modified soldier or they clone him or something. His character is in all 3 sequels.  Also is it true that Trudy has survived(If so Hell Yeah!!) I love Michelle Rodriguez!! Yeehaw!

Edited by Superman001

Says the person who's lords Avengers as the oscar winning material lol

Um... I'm pretty sure I've never said that once in my life. (While sober.)