Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Culturally significance is a big deal. And a valid point. There's no arguing that Avatars domestic cultural impact was far less then every other records breaking movie.

If Avatar 2 does 400m that still huge.

To revisit what I just posted, I think Avatar will drop but like Attack Of Clones and Lost World. Lost World inflates to $405M DOM while Attack Of The Clones inflates to $425M DOM. That's where I see Avatar 2. Now, that said, the general consensus on the those two is that neither's very good. So... If Avatar 2 is deemed good by the GA, maybe just over/under $500M DOM.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Avatar... Phantom Menace... Jurassic Park. All enormously popular blockbusters that delivered a visual spectacle before unseen. All inflate to nearly $800M DOM.

And Attack of the Clones did 65% less and TLW did 73% less

Even if Avatar 2 is good it's dropping hundreds of millions

I'm thinking there is a strong possibility that this gets pushed back to December 2018.  From earlier interviews, Zoe Saldana seems to be playing a large role in all three sequels and said that filming will probably last for her for around 8 months.  Well, Saldana is scheduled to film Star Trek 3 this summer and fall and GOTG 2 is supposed to start filming in January.  So it looks like Saldana won't be free to start filming the Avatar sequels until next May at the earliest. 

So let's say filming roughly lasts from May 2016 to January 2017.  That doesn't give Cameron a lot of time to get Avatar 2 out by December 2017. 

I'm guessing Cameron takes his time and we see December 2018, 2019 and 2020 for the release dates.

• Like 1

Nope, that's Marvel.

Maybe right now, but once Cameron starts cranking out 3 (or 4?) Avatar sequels back to back, he'll give the Disney production line a run for its money. I just can't get excited about the creator of The Terminator and The Abyss wasting the twilight years of his career making nothing but Avatar movies.

Edited by Darth Homer
  • Like 1

Maybe right now, but once Cameron starts cranking out 3 (or 4?) Avatar sequels back to back, he'll give the Disney production line a run for its money. I just can't get excited about the creator of The Terminator and The Abyss wasting the twilight years of his career making nothing but Avatar movies.

Interesting comment, because as far as we know, the Avatar franchise is probably Cameron's most personal project, in the sense that he has the absolute total control, there's absolutely no limit to what he wants to make, and most importantly, he's strongly expressing his own envorimental and political message throught his Avatar films.

You might be wishing that he goes back to making more films like Terminator, but a man in his 60's thinks differently than in his 30's. Whether we like it or not, I'm sure Cameron is now enjoying his film-making more than ever.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 3

I'm thinking there is a strong possibility that this gets pushed back to December 2018.  From earlier interviews, Zoe Saldana seems to be playing a large role in all three sequels and said that filming will probably last for her for around 8 months.  Well, Saldana is scheduled to film Star Trek 3 this summer and fall and GOTG 2 is supposed to start filming in January.  So it looks like Saldana won't be free to start filming the Avatar sequels until next May at the earliest. 

So let's say filming roughly lasts from May 2016 to January 2017.  That doesn't give Cameron a lot of time to get Avatar 2 out by December 2017. 

I'm guessing Cameron takes his time and we see December 2018, 2019 and 2020 for the release dates.

Welcome to the forums! Nice first post.

OMG. So excited my vision of Avatar 2 making the same ore beating Avatar 1's entire WW gross from the OS alone is looking to come true. As these mere mortal but giant size phenoms in Avengers 2 and Furious 7 Fall to wayside.... Will any film be able to come within

a 1.5-2b of Avatars gross..

Only SWS and Batman vs Superman remain. This is going to be interesting!!

350m because I want it to happen!

December even James Camerons fans arent known for flocking on OW but they keep coming and coming lol. Still will the Avatar being the biggest HV success since Finding Nemo, and immense merchandising and BO giant....A huge OW is going to happen.

I definitely feel an OW WW of 550-700M... And a remarkable fainting number of 500-600+M in  both China and Japan alone.

Going to be insane!!

Avatar will be the first to make 800-1B OS from 2 territories I feel it!!!

Edited by Superman001

Interesting comment, because as far as we know, the Avatar franchise is probably Cameron's most personal project, in the sense that he has the absolute total control, there's absolutely no limit to what he wants to make, and most importantly, he's strongly expressing his own envorimental and political message throught his Avatar films.

You might be wishing that he goes back to making more films like Terminator, but a man in his 60's thinks differently than in his 30's. Whether we like it or not, I'm sure Cameron is now enjoying his film-making more than ever.

Amen VC 2002.. I consider Camerons best work to be Titanic and Avatar.... So seems hes one of the few that get grander with age.

Just like wine baby!!... Going to laugh VC2002 when we break the logic banks of BO again, OS is going to be insane for this movie especially

All I'm going to say is this: Perspective is everything and I've learned sequels drop from the original.. No 2 ways about it Kal.. AVATAR 2 is going to be too long of a gap in between the 1st movie for anyone to really be that invested in this and even then, it's still going to decrease whether you want to believe it or not.. It just will and the sooner you accept this now, the better you'll take it when it happens.. I honestly thought TA2 would make as much as the 1st movie and it didn't.. It'll be lucky to beat TDKR at this point, but still..

This is a James Cameron fanbase movie , it will not go the route of Avengers 2 or TDKR... You keep forgetting this is the dude with the greatest sequel increase and the only director in history to have back to World breakers  that changed how we look at BO potential.

Even if there are drop offs your looking at the worlds first near lock for 2B+ WW.. IMagine if he gets 90% of titanics and Avatars fans to come back. And unlike Avengers and TDKR.. They didnt sell 45-50+ M Units WW on HV..

So big differences BKB... Cameron is the ALPHA OMEGA of film making, even spielberg cant pull off what Cameron has done here.

Oh Titanic was 13 yrs from Avatar and unbeatable lol... Cameron beats it with his very first big project.. Im planning to buy 8-12 tickets for the film if good. Im pretty sure alot of  Pandorians are going to do the same... Films that give you a ride and you forget  are different from films that trigger real sense memory and emotion that make 10-90 yr olds weep for a sci fi.

That is insane film making and Cameron isnt doing it all himself this time, that great writer from Apes is on the team baby.

Oh my!!

Aliens and Terminator 2 didnt drop from the last films BKB... :)

Those running me  , Neo, Dash, Cochoflies that James Cameron will never do a Titanic again fell apart. You must join us my friend..

I feel in my bones Avatar 2 will be worth the wait...And I love it to make it even greater he should let other great writers come in on the glory!!