Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

I'm afraid that list is more wishful thinking. And sadly, TFA will probably overtake Titanic. :(

top 4 secure

Titanic underthreat, will hollywood finally get to use it's epic sinking pun against titanic? Find out if Star Wars sinks Titanic record in a months time.

6 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I think $3 billion is definitely on the table for Avatar 2, but there's no way Avatar 3 and 4 are increasing like that with only a year between each of the releases. Maybe if the gap was 5+ years between each sequel. Markets simply cannot expand fast enough to meet that kind of projected box office growth.

The chart isn't entirely serious. I do expect Avatar 2 to make over 2 billion though, and won't be surpised if it beats Avatar. It prob will make 600m in China alone.

• Like 1

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Hi Ralph, I'll probably be gone once TFA's run is over and back for SW8 and Avatar 2.

I'm not JamesCameronScholar but I am the IronJim from the thread the other day, I lost the login for that one.

wnBtTXx.png

boy if you dont get yo "over 5 billion" lookin ass outta here lmao

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14344-1382621781-16

Edited by angeldelmito

3 hours ago, Kalel009Shel said:

Kals predict 1.1b hoping for 1.4 domestic.  And 2.8b os. Hoping for way over 3b is though. Avtr hits 3.9b ww.  And becomes the first all time worldbreaker blockbuster to increase over its predecessor. In Cameron we trust. 

Hope it goes well beyond my expectations .

That's kinda a really slim comparison. Like, what is the history of "highest grossing film in the world"?

Something like this?

Titanic - 1998-2010

Jurassic Park - 1993-1998

??? (I actually have no idea what it was before JP. ET?)

If your data set is limited to "things that were at some point #1" then you're going to have far too few items for meaningful comparison.

The point being, the biggest movie of all time (DOM or WW, actually) has probably never been a sequel to anything. However, sequels to previous record-holding films have increased. Star Wars was eclipsed by all three prequels WW, and TPM DOM. (TFA has beaten it both ways, as well.) JW increased both DOM and WW over JP. 

Of course, what the fuck does it matter whether a specific film is later outgrossed by another film. That doesn't suddenly make the first film's performance meaningless. You're way too fixated on the position of Cameron's films rather than how they actually did.

Titanic's run was amazing! Perhaps the most impressive ever in the history of movies. So what if JW, Avengers, Avatar, and TFA have all since grossed more? It was still an awe-inspiring run. Avatar's box office run was fantastic. Just jaw-dropping, especially at the time. I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise.

You seem to be so invested in this one film that you're taking logical counter-arguments as a personal criticism, and they're really not. If you want to argue that Avatar 2 is going to increase over the first, fine, but math it out. Do honest breakdowns of how that's going to be the case. Similarly, if you're saying that it will beat TFA, you need to accept how big TFA's actual run is, and not what you want it to be. 

It's not just you, Kal. Too many people on the forum are focused on whether a film beats another film at the box office that they lose sight about the runs themselves. It's like only that final number matters, and everything else that came before is to be ignored. That's sad. There are stories to be found when you open things up. So many amazing runs that may not have broken records, but still provide some fun analysis. For the films that hold on week after week and turn out to be far more solid than we'd assumed to the ones which opened big and crashed and burned to the ones that, yes, had unprecedented, historic box office grosses.

Accept it all. Don't get wound up in the predictions. They're fun, but in the end they don't matter. Sometimes people are right. Sometimes they're wrong. Don't let either become your whole story.

• Like 6

This thread is becoming a masterpiece lol, I see the Cameron loonies are coming out of the woodwork.  Every defense of Avatar more or less comes down to it being the #1 grossing film and its about to lose that so they're a bit dazed and confused.  It makes SW7's impending 950m-1.05b gross all the sweeter.  Theres been an awakening my friends, embrace it.

• Like 3

Well no 170 to 190 m 2nd weekend  passionless.  Decapio and the 8 films will end your hopes for 950m for domestic.  Mojo predicts 860 m about 50 more more than avatars adjusted 811m. Going to be funny if it barely beats 811 despite being way shorter and in more theaters and all that over juggernaut 2009. Disney put out slot to advertise domestically for this. Good bye you billion dollar domestic loonies.  Avtr2 must be the first to do it. So let it be written so let it be done. ?

Edited by Kalel009Shel

1 hour ago, DamienRoc said:

That's kinda a really slim comparison. Like, what is the history of "highest grossing film in the world"?

Something like this?

Titanic - 1998-2010

Jurassic Park - 1993-1998

??? (I actually have no idea what it was before JP. ET?)

If your data set is limited to "things that were at some point #1" then you're going to have far too few items for meaningful comparison.

The point being, the biggest movie of all time (DOM or WW, actually) has probably never been a sequel to anything. However, sequels to previous record-holding films have increased. Star Wars was eclipsed by all three prequels WW, and TPM DOM. (TFA has beaten it both ways, as well.) JW increased both DOM and WW over JP. 

Of course, what the fuck does it matter whether a specific film is later outgrossed by another film. That doesn't suddenly make the first film's performance meaningless. You're way too fixated on the position of Cameron's films rather than how they actually did.

Titanic's run was amazing! Perhaps the most impressive ever in the history of movies. So what if JW, Avengers, Avatar, and TFA have all since grossed more? It was still an awe-inspiring run. Avatar's box office run was fantastic. Just jaw-dropping, especially at the time. I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise.

You seem to be so invested in this one film that you're taking logical counter-arguments as a personal criticism, and they're really not. If you want to argue that Avatar 2 is going to increase over the first, fine, but math it out. Do honest breakdowns of how that's going to be the case. Similarly, if you're saying that it will beat TFA, you need to accept how big TFA's actual run is, and not what you want it to be. 

It's not just you, Kal. Too many people on the forum are focused on whether a film beats another film at the box office that they lose sight about the runs themselves. It's like only that final number matters, and everything else that came before is to be ignored. That's sad. There are stories to be found when you open things up. So many amazing runs that may not have broken records, but still provide some fun analysis. For the films that hold on week after week and turn out to be far more solid than we'd assumed to the ones which opened big and crashed and burned to the ones that, yes, had unprecedented, historic box office grosses.

Accept it all. Don't get wound up in the predictions. They're fun, but in the end they don't matter. Sometimes people are right. Sometimes they're wrong. Don't let either become your whole story.

I hear you Damien,  us Cameron  fans just love battling sws,  HP,  and others.  So much  jealousy of jc.  There  are overlooking this man has a chance to frigging repeat all time best on all fronts 3 times in a row and get the Oscar's and high 3 times in a row as well.  I'm just so excited for my favorite director of all time.  Not even Steven has pulled back to back world breakers with the film awards from bafta to Oscars again and again.  I can respect  the giants.  From  the first in jaws to sws,  ET,  jp and of course the film that affected every market and had the greatest run.. Titanic.  But what  jc the man is doing is unprecedented Damien. So we are going ape.  The 3 to over 4b potential of avtr2 is just more glory on the champion of champions.  Are you excited seeing what force awakens is doing and what the worldbreaker will do next. 

58 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

This thread is becoming a masterpiece lol, I see the Cameron loonies are coming out of the woodwork.  Every defense of Avatar more or less comes down to it being the #1 grossing film and its about to lose that so they're a bit dazed and confused.  It makes SW7's impending 950m-1.05b gross all the sweeter.  Theres been an awakening my friends, embrace it.

Lol avtr is still going to be number one lol.  2. 8b ww.  Lol someone didn't do the math lol

9 minutes ago, Kalel009Shel said:

I hear you Damien,  us Cameron  fans just love battling sws,  HP,  and others.  So much  jealousy of jc.  There  are overlooking this man has a chance to frigging repeat all time best on all fronts 3 times in a row and get the Oscar's and high 3 times in a row as well.  I'm just so excited for my favorite director of all time.  Not even Steven has pulled back to back world breakers with the film awards from bafta to Oscars again and again.  I can respect  the giants.  From  the first in jaws to sws,  ET,  jp and of course the film that affected every market and had the greatest run.. Titanic.  But what  jc the man is doing is unprecedented Damien. So we are going ape.  The 3 to over 4b potential of avtr2 is just more glory on the champion of champions.  Are you excited seeing what force awakens is doing and what the worldbreaker will do next. 

It's like you didn't even read what I wrote.

• Like 2